Gas container found near fire-gutted church in Gatineau, Que.: police

Although it’s too soon to tell what motivated it, somebody went and burned down The oldest Catholic Church in Gatineau on Wednesday night. It really was a beautiful Church too, with a huge Casavant Freres pipe organ and a beautiful wooden interior.

cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/06/11/ottawa-cathedral-fire-aylmer.html

…and you won’t hear any apologies or outrage by Atheists or other anti-Catholic organizations about doing that kind of thing. It and the topic of anti-Catholic bigotry won’t be on the news (the national kind, anyway) either. In fact, it will probably be suggested the priest molested somebody and that somebody did it.

…and you won’t hear any apologies or outrage by Atheists or other anti-Catholic organizations about doing that kind of thing. It and the topic of anti-Catholic bigotry won’t be on the news (the national kind, anyway) either. In fact, it will probably be suggested the priest molested somebody and that somebody did it.

I’m sure God permitted it so that the beautiful church could be rebuilt; and just as a building is rebuilt, so too we must be remade in His Image and Likeness, we who are the spiritual stones of the Church. :slight_smile:

That could be a perspective to add to the former one.

I disagree. I think that a real treasure has been destroyed, here, that simply cannot be replaced.

A Cassavant Freres organ is extremely difficult to replace. If you have never heard one played, you are missing out on an incredible experience. Decent stained glass art is a lot harder to come by these days, too - all of the really good stained glass artists seem to have died. This beautiful church cannot be “replaced” - they will probably build some kind of a air-conditioned shack with modern art, and a piano with extra keyboards and pedals that passes itself off as an “organ”, but the actual church itself - no, not possible.

The technology and expertise for building good churches has been lost to us in this generation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.