*GASP* It must be a mistake than! BE CAREFUL!

Oops! Remember how I said I THOUGHT I was being called? Well, I realize that I’m NOT BECAUSE I don’t have the Eucharist in me because I ain’t confirmed yet because I’m still in RCIA!:eek:

Why am I saying this? Read below:

**The Eucharist and Vocations
**Rev. John A. Hardon, S.J.

[left] It is impossible to exaggerate the close relation between the Holy Eucharist and vocations to the priesthood and religious life.

This is only to be expected once we realize that every vocation is a special grace from God, and the greatest source of grace we have is the Eucharist as Presence, Sacrifice, and Communion.

Faith tells us that Christ is really present on our altars, that He really offers Himself in the Mass, and that we really receive Him in Holy Communion. In each case, the Living Christ is now inspiring men and women to give themselves to Him with all their hearts and follow Him in the extension of His Kingdom.

The Eucharist, therefore, is the best way to foster vocations. This means that persons who attend Mass, receive Communion and invoke Christ in the Blessed Sacrament obtain light and strength that no one else has a claim to.

The Eucharist is also the best way to recognize vocations. Show me a man or woman devoted to the Eucharist and I will show you a person who is an apt subject for the priesthood or the religious life.

The Eucharist is finally the infallible way of preserving one’s vocation. This is especially true of devotion to the Real Presence. Is it any wonder that saintly priests and religious over the centuries have been uncommonly devoted to the Blessed Sacrament? They know where to obtain the help they need to remain faithful to their vocations. It is from the same Christ Who called them and Who continues to sustain them in His consecrated service.

Vocations begin with the Eucharist; they are developed through the Eucharist; and they are preserved by the Eucharist. All of this is true because the Eucharist is Jesus Christ, still on earth, working through men and women whom He calls to share His Plan for salvation.

Just what I thought, it was my own darn mere feeling within me! So be VERY CAREFUL, I’m talking to you people in RCIA who have not converted quite yet who THINK you may be called!

Oh boy, glad I read that but not!:frowning: [/left]

If Rev. John A. Hardon, S.J. had made the claim that one cannot sense a calling without first receiving the Eucharist, you might have some reason to think you definitely do not have a calling to the religious life. But, he didn’t. Besides, if he had made that claim he would be wrong. God does not require that one receive the Eucharist before he calls people to him for whatever vocation he may have for them, including the religious life.

You are right about needing to learn more about the Church and its teachings, though. Don’t we all need to those things? :wink:

Or if I AM being called, maybe it’s because God knows I’ll recieve the Eucharist someday? Or maybe He can see my strong faith in Him!

[quote=Della]If Rev. John A. Hardon, S.J. had made the claim that one cannot sense a calling without first receiving the Eucharist, you might have some reason to think you definitely do not have a calling to the religious life. But, he didn’t. Besides, if he had made that claim he would be wrong. God does not require that one receive the Eucharist before he calls people to him for whatever vocation he may have for them, including the religious life.

You are right about needing to learn more about the Church and its teachings, though. Don’t we all need to those things? :wink:
[/quote]

I was not chrismated (confirmed) until the Easter Vigil of 2000 at the age of 33.

I was baptized as an infant but raise with out any faith formation.

As I decided to enter the Church fully and formally I started to look back on my life.

It is a long story but I realized something. As far back as I can remember I felt a calling.

One does not realize a Calling fully until the Church calls you to ordiantion. That is though a bishop or religious superior. If they do not call then you do not have a calling as it is though them that God calls us.

[quote=Paris Blues]Or if I AM being called, maybe it’s because God knows I’ll recieve the Eucharist someday? Or maybe He can see my strong faith in Him!
[/quote]

That could be. But remember that God called Paul while he was persecuting Christians. God can call anyone at any time for any reason he chooses. Of course, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be doing what is right–my only point is that you cannot judge whether or not you have a calling based on a faulty understanding of how and why God does what he does. If you have a true calling it will become clear to you at the appropriate time–which is God’s time, not ours.

Many people have stated that they have been called to their vocation, from childhood, or since they were born. The Eucharist is how God feeds us and how we can maintain our vocation.
I am pretty sure he is not defining the way people are called to their vocation, but rather a vocation’s dependancy on the Eucharist. Living one’s vocation is a serious undertaking and we must maintain our relationship with God if we are going to live out our Christian lives as God wants us to. This then would require maintaining a closeness to God which the Eucharist gives us.

This is my take on this
Scylla

One does not realize a Calling fully until the Church calls you to ordiantion. That is though a bishop or religious superior. If they do not call then you do not have a calling as it is though them that God calls us.

Great point, David! :thumbsup:

I look at it this way: Jesus called the Apostles but he didn’t commission them until later. You might still be called but won’t fully realize it until after you have finished your RCIA…

Well, I attend Mass weekly and the when we were praying the “Lord here our pray” thing, the preist said something like, “pray for vocations…” does that count? Hehe!!

Posted by Paris Blues
[font=Comic Sans MS]Just what I thought, it was my own darn mere feeling within me! So be VERY CAREFUL, I’m talking to you people in RCIA who have not converted quite yet who THINK you may be called!

[/font]
“The Eucharist, therefore, is the best way to foster vocations.”

Read the words again Paris. They do not say it is the only way, just the best way. God may truly be calling you. And from all the attacks you have been getting from well meaning but misled people, I would guess the Devil is scared.

God is calling you. Only you can know if it is for a vocation. But one step at a time. First, RCIA.

God Bless,
Maria

[quote=Paris Blues]Well, I attend Mass weekly and the when we were praying the “Lord here our pray” thing, the preist said something like, “pray for vocations…” does that count? Hehe!!
[/quote]

Close to what happened to me. Just a couple of weeks before the Easter Vigil where I was chrismated the Old Testament reading was Chapter 3 of 1 Samuel.

Read it. I felt as if it was for me that day.

[quote=ByzCath]Close to what happened to me. Just a couple of weeks before the Easter Vigil where I was chrismated the Old Testament reading was Chapter 3 of 1 Samuel.

Read it. I felt as if it was for me that day.
[/quote]

I also have a similar story. I started to really recognize my call about the same time I had hurt my back and was on disability leave from work. Since I now was able to, I began attending daily Mass. The morning of my second daily Mass, I felt this compulsion (to be honest, it was as if a voice was telling me) to take my rosary with me. As it turned out that day my parish was having Eucharistic Adoration for vocations beginning right after Mass, with public recitation of the rosary. That was definitely not a coincidence!

[quote=Paris Blues]Or if I AM being called, maybe it’s because God knows I’ll recieve the Eucharist someday? Or maybe He can see my strong faith in Him!
[/quote]

Absolutely! If feel that He is calling you, you must persue it. “If today you hear His voice, do not harden your heart.”

Paris Blues,

It’s ok, you didn’t do anything wrong! God has a plan for you and it is already in the works! God has called you. We are called to holiness… to be a priestly people. You will be given your vocation whether it is the priesthood or a blessed single person, a spouse and or parent. I take my vocation as a wife and mother very seriously and consider it a religious vocation for a laywoman. You may very well hear a calling and it will become clear as your relationship with Christ grows and matures. No worries, nothing to be embarrassed about. God is calling you to holiness no matter what vocation you are led to.

May I humbly suggest that if you DO in fact have a vocation to religious life, one way that it will probably manifest itself is a decline in your predilection for histrionics (or hysteria, as the case may be).

[quote=Pentecost2005]May I humbly suggest that if you DO in fact have a vocation to religious life, one way that it will probably manifest itself is a decline in your predilection for histrionics (or hysteria, as the case may be).
[/quote]

What? :confused: Explain please!

[quote=Paris Blues]What? :confused: Explain please!
[/quote]

Candidly, you sound like a drama queen. I mean, look at the subject line you wrote for this post. You must buy your exclamation points wholesale!!! :rolleyes:

On the other hand… maybe you would benefit from reading a biography of Teresa of Avila.

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.