Gassy German cows blamed for barn explosion

Miami Herald:

Gassy German cows blamed for barn explosion

BERLIN --          A herd of dairy cows nearly lifted the roof off their barn in  central Germany when methane released by the animals caused an  explosion.

Police in Hesse state said in a statement that a static electric charge apparently triggered the detonation, and a spurt of flame, on Monday at a farm in Rasdorf. The roof was slightly damaged and one cow suffered light burns. No people were hurt.
Police say 90 cows are kept in the shed and it wasn’t clear why quantities of methane had built up. Bovine belching and flatulence releases large quantities of the gas.

OK, I posted this one just for the headline :smiley:

Hahahahahaha!!!

Love it!

I grew up around cows. When they break wind, boy do they break wind.

It is much more likely that the farmer was not cleaning his barn properly, that he had allowed a large amount of manure and urine to accumulate on straw and hay. This would cause a large amount of gas to be emitted. And the heat built up in the saturated straw/hay spontaneoulsly created enough heat to cause a flame which ignited the gas. I have seen piles of hay burning in the field caused by spontaneous combustion.

Linus2nd

I read about this. I read that one cow was treated for burns. But all I can say is, I like mine well done. :slight_smile:

Now if we can just these cows to break wind into a sealed container we can sell it as natural gas then we may solve the energy crisis just yet.

I have heard of silos exploding… could this be the first documented case of a barn exploding? :shrug: :hmmm:

My guess as well. Even a mild amount of moisture in hay or straw can cause this kind of thing, especially in a closed space.

Also, you should never feed your cows weiner schnitzel and sauerkraut close to bedtime.

I am reminded of that Alka Seltzer commercial from the 60s:

youtube.com/watch?v=bxjb2UJZ-5I

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.