"Gather Us In" parody

In the thread about the least liked hymn, “Gather Us In” seems to have won, hands down. OutinChgoburbs posted a clever parody of it. The melody got stuck in my head like an earworm, and I found myself coming up with more verses for it:

Gather us in, the rich and the famous,
gather us in, the poor and obscure,
gather us in, the slightly eccentric
and all the late-comers out there by the door.

Gather us in, the hairy and balding,
gather us in, the skinny and fat,
gather us in, the chic and and frumpy
and anyone wearing a big flowered hat.

Gather us in, the handsome and homely,
gather us in, from near and from far,
and don’t forget the man in the Buick
who dropped off his wife and is parking the car.

Gather us in, the Packers and Bears fans
gather us in, who do not like sports,
gather us in from every direction
but keep out the flip-flops and tank tops and shorts.

Alas, it was not mine. Yours is good though, and I have just forum for it, along with the original parody of Thanksgiving:

http://www.mgilleland.com/music/moratorium.htm

Hahahhahahhahah!!! This is WONDERFUL!!!

I’m a cantor at my parish and unfortunately this is a song that the music director uses too much (well, in truth, ONCE is too much…). Anyway, I’ll share this with her and maybe it’ll cure her…

'thann

We have never sung this song, but now I’m toooo curious - can someone post the lyrics?

Oh my…Gather Us In would be the ultimate torture song…imagine hearing that over and over played by some amatuer parish folk group…I actually think “Table of Plenty” is even worse!!

*Here in this place,
New light is streaming
Now is the darkness vanished away.
See in this space
Our fears and our dreamings
Brought here to You in the light of this day

Gather us in, the lost and forsaken,
Gather us in, the blind and the lame,
Call to us now, and we shall awaken
We shall arise at the sound of our name.

We are the young
Our lives are a mystery
We are the old who yearn for Your face
We have been sung
Throughout all of history
Called to be light for the whole human race.

Gather us in, the rich and the haughty
Gather us in, the proud and the strong
Give us a heart so meek and so lowly
Give us the courage to enter the song.

Here we will take the wine and the water
Here we will eat the bread of new birth
Here You will call your sons and your daughters
Call us anew to be salt for the earth.

Give us to drink the wine of compassion
Give us to eat the bread that is You
Nourish us well and teach us to fashion
Lives that are holy and hearts that are true.

Not in the dark
Of buildings confining
Not in some Heaven
Lightyears away
But here in this place,
New light is shining
Now is the kingdom,
Now is the day.

Gather us in, and hold us forever.
Gather us in, and make us Your own.
Gather us in, all peoples together.
Fire of love in our flesh and our bone.*

[quote=rayne89]*…
Not in the dark
Of buildings confining
Not in some Heaven
Lightyears away
*…
[/quote]

I have wondered ever since the first time I heard this sung and read the words, does the Church officially teach that God is not in Heaven? Or is it teaching that Heaven is not lightyears away? I could perhaps make a case for the latter possibly being true, but the statement that God is not in Heaven is simply heretical.

• Liberian

[quote=Liberian]I have wondered ever since the first time I heard this sung and read the words, does the Church officially teach that God is not in Heaven? Or is it teaching that Heaven is not lightyears away? I could perhaps make a case for the latter possibly being true, but the statement that God is not in Heaven is simply heretical.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

The words “not in some Heaven /Lightyears away” seem to imply at least some doubts about Heaven’s very existence.

I always considered the song a mix of new-age words and music that belongs in the background of a baby food commercial

[quote=severinus]The words “not in some Heaven /Lightyears away” seem to imply at least some doubts about Heaven’s very existence.
[/quote]

Since I am on record on the other thread as hating these very words, I feel free to defend them here. Ahem:

They mean to call to mind the imagery in the gospel according to John. The ideas of Light and Life (eternal life) are a present reality. Life can be now, not just later.

[quote=Pug]Since I am on record on the other thread as hating these very words, I feel free to defend them here. Ahem:

They mean to call to mind the imagery in the gospel according to John. The ideas of Light and Life (eternal life) are a present reality. Life can be now, not just later.
[/quote]

OK, I’ll go with that, Pug. The issue I have is “some.” If that word were omitted, I would feel better about the line.

Wait that song is relatively orthodox in meaning, reverent in tune. So its not organ music, you can’t have it all :frowning: But why make fun of it? Personally I like it just for the lyrics. It would sound better in latin with an extremely large organ though.

Some of the lyrics however can be quite troubling:(

[quote=severinus]OK, I’ll go with that, Pug. The issue I have is “some.” If that word were omitted, I would feel better about the line.
[/quote]

I agree. Here is the first dictionary definition of some:

1**: **being an unknown, undetermined, or unspecified unit or thing <~ person knocked>

The troubling thing is, does this imply that they believe there is more than one heaven? I don’t think they mean that. They probably mean, uh, <>, the words of St. Paul about how eye has not seen, ear has not heard. So they mean that what heaven is going to be like is not known or determined. However, for our comfort, look at what is now, and what is now is pretty nice (new light is streaming).

Of course, for me a big issue is that the word “some” is prefixed to words in American English with a sort of derogotory sense. “Yeah, and then some idiot pulled out of the parking lot like a bat out of Hades.” So, to me, “some heaven” rings out as, “some idiot place our parents talk about but is just a sad joke.” Let’s hope the author of the song didn’t mean what I always hear.:gopray2:

PS I’m not arguing with you!!! I’m just scrambling to put the best construction I can upon the words, perhaps just as an exercise, perhaps so I don’t go crazy, since I hear it as an entrance song about every 3 weeks.

[quote=Pug]I agree. Here is the first dictionary definition of some:

The troubling thing is, does this imply that they believe there is more than one heaven? I don’t think they mean that. They probably mean, uh, <>, the words of St. Paul about how eye has not seen, ear has not heard. So they mean that what heaven is going to be like is not known or determined. However, for our comfort, look at what is now, and what is now is pretty nice (new light is streaming).

Of course, for me a big issue is that the word “some” is prefixed to words in American English with a sort of derogotory sense. “Yeah, and then some idiot pulled out of the parking lot like a bat out of Hades.” So, to me, “some heaven” rings out as, “some idiot place our parents talk about but is just a sad joke.” Let’s hope the author of the song didn’t mean what I always hear.:gopray2:

PS I’m not arguing with you!!! I’m just scrambling to put the best construction I can upon the words, perhaps just as an exercise, perhaps so I don’t go crazy, since I hear it as an entrance song about every 3 weeks.
[/quote]

No argument, Pug. You hit the nail on the head. That “some” is very troubling to me.

Great parody! I too sent it on to a gal who actually likes this nonsensical song.

Seriously though, people like this kind of rubbishy sentimental slop for the Mass because they do not grasp the fact that Mass is about worshiping God not about people getting together with each other as if for a game of football or a dance or some other social gathering. It’s fine for the people of God to love one another but there are better ways of expressing it than this song, and outside the Mass.

Would it be acceptable now to post a similar parody here of Holy, Holy, Holy or Down in Adoration Falling?

If not, why not?

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]Would it be acceptable now to post a similar parody here of Holy, Holy, Holy or Down in Adoration Falling?

If not, why not?
[/quote]

Why would someone want to? “Gather Us In” has questionable lyrics, a tune that some find annoying, and a ubuquitousness that drives people crazy. Enough people have disliked the song that there are parodies out there.

“Down in Adoration Falling” is better in Latin, anyway. :slight_smile:

Hymns such as “Holy, Holy, Holy” and “Tantum Ergo” (“Down in Adoration Falling”) are examples of sacred music which have their focus on God, the rightful Object of our worship. Songs like “Gather Us In” (and others from the Hootenanny School of Liturgical Music) emphasize man instead of God, and leave themselves wide open to satire which serves to point out their unsuitability as songs of worship.

[quote=severinus]Why would someone want to? …
[/quote]

Possibly for motives similar to those that prompted this parody, i.e.someone doesn’t like it. Would that make it right?

[quote=Aurelia]Hymns such as “Holy, Holy, Holy” and “Tantum Ergo” (“Down in Adoration Falling”) are examples of sacred music which have their focus on God, the rightful Object of our worship…
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote=Aurelia]…Songs like “Gather Us In” (and others from the Hootenanny School of Liturgical Music) emphasize man instead of God, and leave themselves wide open to satire which serves to point out their unsuitability as songs of worship.
[/quote]

This is a non sequitur. If Down in Adoration Falling were to be parodied would this point out an unsuitability in it for use as a song for worship?

I posted these parodies in my live journal. Here’s what one of my friend’s responded with:

i had these words running through my head last night, when i was trying to sleep:

(to the tune of City of God)

Away from the altar
You OCP creep
What more can you alter
In lyrics so cheap

Why can’t you say 'Body’
Instead of just 'bread’
It sounds like a pastry
Is eaten instead

(Refrain)
Let us have some pity on God
Lest His ears should learn that we can’t sing
Let us have some pity on God
Please burn your songbook today

Your religion training
You’ve ignored again
Now you’ve some explaining
To do to Pope Ben

A new day is dawning
For all those who chant
This is the last judgment
For all those who can’t

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.