Gathering the Children

Hi all,

I went to mass at a different parish this past weekend and saw something that I'd never seen before. Before the consecration the priest invited all the children to gather around the altar and then started the prayer of consecration. I have never seen this but I really don't like this at all.

He also added a few sentences to the prayer--adding church member's names that were dead in the part of the consecration where it talks about remembering those who have died.

He also ran through the prayer so fast there were times I did not actually understand what he said. Where's the fire?

He also told everyone to hold hands during the Lord's Prayer and I don't like this, I just held my missal and shook my head no. GRRR when will they STOP doing this?

Can someone tell me about this children gathering around the altar. They didn't bow, kneel or anything. I also saw something else my home parish doesn't have, girl altar servers.

I left a little unsettled, not sure what to think.

Let me know your thoughts.

Irishgal

I think adding in the names of the dead is a completely normal practice, like putting in the names of our Bishop and so on.

Remember also, Lord, your servants N. and N., who have gone before us with the sign of faith and rest in the sleep of peace. Grant them, O Lord, we pray,and all who sleep in Christ, a place of refreshment, light, and peace.

(Eucharistic Prayer I)

Where it says "N", you can stick in a name.

If the children are standing on the raised area, and actually around and behind the altar, I would be concerned and raise my concerns politely with the priest. If they're gathering outside the marked-off area, and aren't disrupting anything, then I'd consider it a way to make sure they can all see what's going on. I know I try to make sure children sit near the front of the church, so they can see what is going on on the altar, but not everyone can.

[quote="Irishgal49, post:1, topic:286748"]
Hi all,

I went to mass at a different parish this past weekend and saw something that I'd never seen before. Before the consecration the priest invited all the children to gather around the altar and then started the prayer of consecration. I have never seen this but I really don't like this at all.

He also added a few sentences to the prayer--adding church member's names that were dead in the part of the consecration where it talks about remembering those who have died.

He also ran through the prayer so fast there were times I did not actually understand what he said. Where's the fire?

He also told everyone to hold hands during the Lord's Prayer and I don't like this, I just held my missal and shook my head no. GRRR when will they STOP doing this?

Can someone tell me about this children gathering around the altar. They didn't bow, kneel or anything. I also saw something else my home parish doesn't have, girl altar servers.

Irishgal

[/quote]

The only time I have ever seen this was at a LifeTeen Mass. It's a teen program that leads to confirmation, after 2 years :eek: of Sunday night Masses without parents. My sons and I went one Sunday just to see what it was like. The priest invited ALL of the teens to gather around the altar and he did the consecration with the throng right there.

:eek:

We never went back.

I think you should not go to that parish, frankly.

I think lifeteen stopped doing the gathering around the altar thing, as they should. We do sometimes add the names of the dead, I have seen that done.

I don't know about the other things, we don't do them at our parish. We do have girl altar servers, my daughter is one :)

[quote="TypesAndShadows, post:2, topic:286748"]
I think adding in the names of the dead is a completely normal practice, like putting in the names of our Bishop and so on.

Where it says "N", you can stick in a name.

If the children are standing on the raised area, and actually around and behind the altar, I would be concerned and raise my concerns politely with the priest. If they're gathering outside the marked-off area, and aren't disrupting anything, then I'd consider it a way to make sure they can all see what's going on. I know I try to make sure children sit near the front of the church, so they can see what is going on on the altar, but not everyone can.

[/quote]

Yes, two of the children were leaning forward with their hands on the actual altar as he was consecrating the host and wine.

[quote="Irishgal49, post:5, topic:286748"]
Yes, two of the children were leaning forward with their hands on the actual altar as he was consecrating the host and wine.

[/quote]

:eek: It's not a cooking class!!!!

Oh my goodness. These kinds of things make me want to scream.

:mad:

[quote="Irishgal49, post:1, topic:286748"]
Hi all,

Irishgal

[/quote]

Oh my goodness. :eek:

I don't blame you for being upset. Children need to be taught reverence at Mass. As someone else said. It is not a cooking class.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.