Gay friendly Catholic Church?

I’m not sure if I reading this right but this website seems to state that there are Catholic churches that condone homosexuality. I came upon this site while trying to find the website of a nearby church I’ve never been to.

If you follow to the home page and read about the site it appears to be run by a woman named Elaine and her “wife”.

I have to assume these Catholic Churches do not know they are linked by this site.

You may want to see if yours is on the list.

gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_florida.htm

At least some of the supposedly “Catholic” churches listed on the web site are not really Catholic at all - for instance the “Holy Spirit Ecumenical Catholic Church”. The Ecumenical Catholic Church is a splinter group whose primary focus is the condoning of sexual sin, especially homosexual acts and “gay marriage” under the guise of “honoring the conscience”.

The Catholic Church is against the practice of homosexual acts. Having a homosexual orientation is something is not sinful if you do not commit homosexual acts. There are some churches that claim to be “Catholic” but are really just “catholic” with a little c. They use this because catholic means universal so they believe they can use that name to describe their church.

matthew

[quote=marty1818]The Catholic Church is against the practice of homosexual acts. Having a homosexual orientation is something is not sinful if you do not commit homosexual acts. There are some churches that claim to be “Catholic” but are really just “catholic” with a little c. They use this because catholic means universal so they believe they can use that name to describe their church.

matthew
[/quote]

Yeah, but in the case of the Church I want to visit, it is also on the Diocese website.

[quote=iamrefreshed]Yeah, but in the case of the Church I want to visit, it is also on the Diocese website.
[/quote]

Call 'em and ask 'em if they meant to be on that site and if so what it means. If they condone homosexual activity them ya can always abort and go somewhere else.

Hi,

Ever been to the Cathedral down down LA?

John

I notice there isn’t a single one in Kansas listed as Catholic.

:dancing:

Did anyone check into the criteria for getting on the list? I was so not interested in reading it, but if someone else please point it out to me.

My real question is are they “gay friendly” in that they refrain from bashing and shunning gays, or are they “gay friendly” in that they do not consider gay behavior as wrong?

The first, I would not mind my church being listed on. The second, and I my church loses all its credibility with me.

Alan

A few weeks ago I just visited a parish that seemed very gay friendly. In fact, it was in the homily, and the priest even said a prayer of acceptance. Sadly, the archbishop’s Cathedral in my town is on the list. Is the Vatican going to do anything about these “progressive” parishes? It’s so bad where I live that it’s hard to find a Catholic-Catholic parish. The closest one near my place has a labyrinth and they celebrate the autumnal equinox. Good grief. I did invite my mother to go to church with me (she’s not Catholic), but we have experienced so many ‘bad’ parishes that her opinion of the Catholic church is low enough already. I had to do some serious research just to find a Catholic parish that the Pope would approve of. I’ll be going to that parish tomorrow, and I think I’ll take my mother along. She needs to see that there are still ‘good’ Catholic parishes around…

[quote=iamrefreshed]I’m not sure if I reading this right but this website seems to state that there are Catholic churches that condone homosexuality. I came upon this site while trying to find the website of a nearby church I’ve never been to.

If you follow to the home page and read about the site it appears to be run by a woman named Elaine and her “wife”.

I have to assume these Catholic Churches do not know they are linked by this site.

You may want to see if yours is on the list.

gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_florida.htm
[/quote]

SICK! We once came across some “Modern Catholic Church” in Ojai, California. Their were really different. Picked up a phamplet and their philosophy is totally off base. So anything’s possible in this day and age. Could be some $50.00 licensed minister who calls himself a Priest, and calls his Church a “Catholic Church”. Stay away from there friend!!!

Please, please do not ASSUME that the churches on this list know that they are indeed on it!

I have absolutely NO PROOF of this.

I just ran into the website accidently while searching for a church.

A weblink is a pretty easy thing to post.

I was just looking to see if anyone had any further info.

I believe I will follow Church Militant’s advice and call.

That’s right. Give me a fairy tale and a few legitimate web sites to link to, and I’ll get you a page up on the web in five minutes that looks like this one. Gosh I can do it right now. I could say something entirely evil like here is where you will learn the wrong things. Doesn’t mean a thing that it’s up there, unless you know more about the organization and whether it’s not just a prank.

Alan

[quote=iamrefreshed]I’m not sure if I reading this right but this website seems to state that there are Catholic churches that condone homosexuality. I came upon this site while trying to find the website of a nearby church I’ve never been to.
[/quote]

When I first moved to a large southern city that had a large homosexual population (no need to mention the name of the city, although just the reference may make it obvious to many) I settled into a parish that was decidedly ‘gay friendly’ - I would make a guess that at any Sunday Mass at least 50% of the congregation were male and female couples. The church was also well known for a lay ministry to HIV+ and AIDS patients and, as you might imagine, in the time that I was in the parish (I left for a more traditional church although it was further from my home) I never heard a homily, or a letter from the bishop read, that even mentioned homosexuality. I was not chagrinned by the presence of homosexuals but I was uncomfortable with the almost explicit blessing of homosexuals who were obviously in relationships (I simply could not assume that men and women who displayed ‘acceptable’ public affection did not engage in sexual acts with one another) and who, Sunday after Sunday, received the Eucharist from priests who, I assume, did not deny communion to those whom he surely knew were not in any state to receive the Eucharist.

I am sure that wherever there are large concentration of homosexuals living there will be churches which are “gay friendly”. Including Catholic churches. I have mixed feelings about judging the pastors and the bishops who foster such parishes - I don’t believe that homosexuals who continue in sexual sin should be allowed (or even, no matter how ‘pastoral’ it may seem, encouraged) to partake of the Eucharist (and I feel the same about anyone who persists in sin - those who were sacramentally married, divorced, and remarried, for example). The answer, it seems to me, is a direct communique from the Ordinary spelling out guidelines which must be obeyed. If a priest is genuinely ignorant of the sexual activity of a parishioner, he cannot be blamed - but when those parishioners who persist in mortal sin are public in their sin and public in coming forward for communion I think the best that a priest or deacon can do is offer a short blessing but deny communion.

And, yes, that church is listed on the ‘gay friendly’ website but the mission statement of the church - providing for “diverse Christians” and the fact that they now have a “LGBT Bible Study” leads me to suspect that no one would be surprised to find the church listed as ‘gay friendly’.

Ben

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.