Gay group will march in NY St. Patrick's day parade; Cardinal Dolan gives OK [CWN]

A homosexual activist group will march in New York’s St. Patrick’s Day parade next year, with the tacit approval of Cardinal Timothy Dolan. Organizers of the parade announced on …

More…

It reminds me of a homily given by Fr Mary Joseph Wolf, at an EWTN mass I saw on T.V., when he recalled a near death experience of Fr Jose Manyanget that occured for Fr Jose 20+ years ago.

In the experience, Fr Jose’s guardian angel, took him to see hell, purgatory and heaven. When he saw hell, he saw bishops and priests there that he knew. He wasn’t allowed to give names but only why they were there.

“I saw Satan and the devils, an unquenchable fire of about 2,000 Fahrenheit degrees, worms crawling, people screaming and fighting, others being tortured by demons. The angel told me that all these sufferings were due to unrepented mortal sins. Then, I understood that there are seven degrees of suffering or levels according to the number and kinds of mortal sins committed in their earthly lives. The souls looked very ugly, cruel and horrific. It was a fearful experience. I saw people whom I knew but I am not allowed to reveal their identities. The sins that convicted them were mainly abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia, hatefulness, unforgiveness and sacrilege. The angel told me that if they had repented they would have avoided hell and gone instead to purgatory. I also understood that some people who repent from these sins might be purified on earth through their sufferings. This way they can avoid purgatory and go straight to heaven. I was surprised when I saw in hell even Priests and Bishops, some of whom I never expected to see. Many of them were there because they had misled the people with false teaching and bad example.”

youtube.com/watch?v=FeQNdXu-Uvc

I get it that we should reach out to the “gay” community (those with same-sex attractions) and warmly welcome and encourage them in the faith. But this approval of their march (the “OUT” group) in the parade, with the Cardinal leading the way (he is grand marshall for 2015), goes beyond this and carries the implied support of a lifestyle choice. In other words, it gives the impression that the Church endorses homosexual behavior. I see this as scandalous, not because of the Cardinal’s love for fellow humans with same-sex attractions, but because of the implied support of sinful behavior.

I never thought in my entire life I’d be writing this but well…It shows there truely is a first time for everything.

Well Done Cardinal Dolan, he’s made a good call in line with both Church teaching, and protecting the rights of individuals who even if they remained chaste as he would wish them to would remain persecuted and discriminated against.

…My Goodness, we’ve moved ahead so quickly fans self I’m practically dizzy…

Dolan also applauded a few months ago, on meet the press, an openly and active gay football athelete for coming out. As if Dolan was personally proud of his action. It was the explanation that Dolan used in the interview that was absolutely scandalizing for a Church Cardinal.
truthrevolt.org/news/cardinal-dolan-says-bravo-gay-nfl-star-coming-out

The homosexual group will of course use the St. Patrick’s Day parade as a means of claiming Catholic approval for the normalization of homosexual activity. They will use it as a means of undermining Catholic doctrine, pointing to the parade and in effect saying, “well look, if we can be in the parade, then there’s nothing wrong with homosexual actions.”

I’m afraid we need to speak out against this in love. We just can’t approve of this. We love them, we don’t condemn anyone, but we have to uphold the eternal teaching of the Church. Even tacit approval gives the appearance that the Church approves. That just can’t be.

Wait a minute here boys and girls.
Let’s keep in the context of what Cardinal Dolan actually said, okay.

[FONT=Verdana][size=3]Cardinal Dolan, in a statement responding to the organizers’ decision, noted that the archdiocese was not responsible for decisions about which groups were included in the parade. However, he said, “The Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Committee continues to have my confidence and support.”

[/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][size=3] “As I do each year, I look forward to celebrating Mass in honor of Saint Patrick, the Patron Saint of Ireland, and the Patron Saint of this archdiocese, to begin the feast, and pray that the parade would continue to be a source of unity for all of us,”[/size] the cardinal said.[/FONT]

He makes it very plain that he nor the archdiocese have any say as to who gets to march in the parade. I would note that that statement applies to all of us as well.

He expresses his confidence and support of the committee, which also could imply the following thought as well and could be expressing it very much tongue in cheek. “…whether I agree with them or not.”

Next, he focuses on the real important aspect of St. Patrick’s Day, which is the Mass celebrating the feast and in this case, his patronage of the archdiocese.

His statement of his personal prayer intentions for the parade is something we really should focus on. The call for unity, which also sets the stage for dialogue and evangelism to the whole city is wisdom personified IMO and an eloquent expression of his pastoral concern as shepherd of his diocese. It allows for a way to enter into dialog with the LGBT community and a chance for teaching as to what the church really speaks to the issue.

All this said, there is common sense ways to handle this situation. If, as would be my own case, I find the behavior of some active LGBTs offensive in situations like this, then, it’s a simple matter of voting with my feet…and my cash.

Pensacola Florida has had a similar problem with LGBTs for many years now after a previous mayor made the mistake of publicly stating to the press that his city was not “gay friendly”, so beginning that year and every year since the LGBTs have flocked to the area and its beaches on the Memorial Day weekend. It is not a pretty sight at all and so, most locals simply stay home or go away that weekend, taking their money with them and insuring that they warn off friends and families for that weekend. By doing so, they have, over the years, made it plain that we do not approve of or participate in these activities and the response has died way down over the years. The same tactic is appropriate here.

I would not hesitate to support any and all St. Patrick’s Day devotions such as the Mass and my favorite Irish pub in town, while insuring that my Irish Catholic identity was in no way compromised.

I see no reason for being scandalized by Cardinal Dolan’s remarks and it behooves us all to respond to them in the context offered and then make informed choices that support our most holy faith.:irish2::irish3::shamrock2:

It’s worth reiterating,[LIST=1]
*]A homosexual activist group is now allowed to march with signs which means we know what to expect as a result.
*]Cardinal Dolan, in a statement responding to the organizers’ decision, noted that the archdiocese was not responsible for decisions about which groups were included in the parade. However, he said, “The Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Committee continues to have my confidence and support.
[/LIST]If the archdiocese is not responsible for the decision of the committee, why would Dolan after the decision, even need to insert himself and in extension, the archdiocese into this by saying, they have **MY **confidence and support? Really?

Because the press asked him for his reaction?

Otherwise I figure he’d have said nothing at all.

Well, if this is a PR stunt to set the stage for powerful witness to the Gospel, I look forward with anticipation to Card. Dolan’s homily at that Mass, powerfully excoriating the sins of the age and exhorting those in attendance to repent and profess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

But my suspicion is that he won’t, because we’re not allowed to excoriate or talk about sin or repentance, because that, supposedly, also doesn’t set the stage for spreading the Gospel (or so we’re told, all the time, by people who seem to do a lot more talking about talking about the Gospel than they do actually talking about the Gospel).

Yet shepherds are to protect the flock at all times from wolves and any other predator. That means always being on guard. Lest any of the flock gets picked off.

I agree, the Church is a ‘hospital for sinners and not a museum for saints.’ This is in line with Pope Francis’ teachings of a merciful church, it does not mean that the Church condones their behavior. The Church doesn’t condone premarital sex among ‘straight’ couples either, but if we banned them it would be a much smaller parade!

Will they (pre-marital sex advocates) be marching under their own banner with the cardinal’s blessing?

I don’t know about a banner but I’d dare wager a fair few will be there, didn’t the pew report say that was 60 odd percent of all Catholics? :smiley:

I find this statement to be heavy on forgiveness and very weak on repentance. I also believe as a church we should be open an inclusive of all sinners. As my favorite Priest says before most of his Mass, “I’m a sinner how about you”. That being said that does not mean a sinner should be move to the front pew without repentance. Do we honor adulters by letting them carry a sign in a parade of a Saint proclaiming their sin? Love is a perfect expression of Our Lords Mercy and Justice, without love heaven is not possible, but sex outside of procreation is a sin, and should not be honored by a servant of Jesus Christ’s Church.

No wonder our children are confused about sex, our Religious give honor to the sinners

It’s one thing to say there will be sinners there, but quite another to say they will be marching under a banner that says “I am proud of my sin” and have a cardinal’s blessing.

Yes, this.

Of course, not. But to the superficial joe-blow out there, it gives implication of such because the Grand Master of the parade happens to be a Catholic Cardinal and implicitly supports, to superficial joe-blow, everyone in the parade and their cause. You and I can see through that…some folks won’t.

The Church doesn’t condone premarital sex among ‘straight’ couples either, but if we banned them it would be a much smaller parade!

There aren’t any straight couples wishing to carry banners in support of pre-martial sex in this parade, are there? No, there are not.

And of course they and their questions had the best intentions … right? :rolleyes:

Do you think the shepherd protected his flock?

You mean, if the parade featured a pre-marital pride group, nobody would show up?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.