Gay "marriage" and eating donuts

I'm sure most of you have seen something where its says that compares being against gay "marriage" with a dieter being against another person eating donuts. Everytime I see this I wonder if it makes any sense to those who oppose gay "marriage". I commonly think that understanding gay "marriage" supporters have of those who are against it and there reasoning is not the same as those who are against it. Basically support for gay "marriage" and support for traditional marriage are not opposites. Can anyone thing of another analogy that makes more sense?

I'm not sure if I fully follow you, but certainly most pro-gay marriage and pro-traditional marriage people are working with very different definitions of marriage.

An analogy from a pro-marriage perspective? Maybe imagine if someone was trying (in the real world rather than Never Land) to eat by the method in that old Robin Williams Peter Pan movie, by imagining the food into existence. We would see them and say, "no, that's not really food. You aren't really eating." They might turn around and say, "what gives you the right to tell me what I can and cannot eat? How dare you say that my food isn't as good as your food!"

Another analogy, with both superiorities and inferiorites to the first one, would be if the person were eating poison instead of nothing. We tell them "don't eat that, it's poison!" Again they reply, "what gives you the right to tell me what I can and cannot eat? How dare you say that my food isn't as good as your food!"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.