Gay marriage on hold in California

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Same-sex marriage was on hold in California after opponents petitioned a federal appeals court Tuesday to review a split decision by three of its judges that struck down a voter-approved measure that limited marriage to a man and woman.

Lawyers for the religious and legal groups asked the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to rehear the 2-1 decision that declared the ban, known as Proposition 8, to be a violation of the civil rights of gay and lesbian Californians.

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gsdqe5caH3zeWQnWmKoTseUBx3Aw?docId=db804ef92b8c49dd9c855e603abefc4b

I hope and pray that eventually “gay marriage” is overturned in California once and for all and that it never returns. If this means that we have to go to the Supreme Court of the United States then so be it. We cannot allow the atrocity of “gay marriage” to take place in yet another state. To be honest with you, I wish we could have a federal constitutional amendment forbidding “gay marriage”. Basically such an amendment would define marriage as only between one man and one woman.

Here in the UK we didn’t get a say. It was just passed and we were told to “deal with it” and now they are threatning Churches that if they refuse same-sex marriages they could face prosecution. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

So much for the Magna Carta?:smiley: I’m only partially laughing. The US will shortly be joining your country.

While any future marriages are “on hold”…the 18,000 marriages performed when it was legal are still in effect…the putting ‘on hold’ did not rob those who had previously legal marriages of their legal marriage.

What!!!:eek:

if gay marriage became legal in all states, overnight, would you leave the country? commit suicide? gouge your eyes out? maybe move underground? surely it would have a tremendous impact on your life. how would you respond if this took place?

Gay marriage advocates claim a ban on Gay marriage is “unconstitutional,” I ask: Since when did opposing God become constitutional?

No they are not. Civil divorce has been legal in the UK for a long time, and there is no law forcing Catholic churches to marry divorced people.

Churches that want to perform same-sex weddings will be allowed to do so. Churches that do no want to will not have to. Exactly the same as remarrying divorced heterosexuals. Each church makes its own decision.

rossum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.