Gay marriage opponents vow to fight Calif. ruling

SAN FRANCISCO - Even as same-sex couples across California begin making plans to tie the knot, opponents are redoubling their efforts to make sure wedding bells never ring for gay couples in the nation’s most populous state.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080516/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage

I hope and pray that the opponents of gay marriage are successful at overturning the ruling!

Catholics, please don’t remain silent.

I certainly wouldn’t remain silent if I was a California Catholic. However, I’m not from California so I don’t see how there is much I can do but pray.

You can count on this California Catholic to speak up! :thumbsup:

There are a number of Catholics in California, some at a place called Catholic Answers, I believe.

I encourage them to speak up for those of us in different states (geographically, that is, not “of mind”):wink:

We tried to over turn the ruling that the court made legalizing gay marriage here in Massachusetts.

The Bishops even ran a petition drive at the end of Mass each Sunday, to get a referendum on the ballot, to define marriage as between one male and one female, added to our constitution.

When my wife and myself attempted to sign the petition after Mass, we were accosted by a fellow parishioner, who’d daughter is a lesbian. With tears in his eyes, he begged us not to sign the petition, because it discriminated against his daughter.

Rather than get into a squabble in church, we just walked out, and signed the petition later on.

Anyway, our legislators, which are 87% democrat, ignored the petition and never brought the vote to the floor at the constitutional hearing.

Then Gov. Mitt Romney, brought the legislature to court for ignoring the will of the people. The court ruled that the legislature was bound by the state constitution, to bring the ballot question to the floor for a vote. They did and it was defeated.

My guess is, California being every bit as liberal as Massachusetts, will do the same. Ignore the will of the people.

Jim

If I was in California I would encourage others to let this ruling stand.:thumbsup: :cool:

Except that here in CA the people vote on amendments to the state constitution in a ballot measure. We just need 60% or 66% (I forget which) to have an amendment approved. Once approved, neither the legislature nor the courts can do a thing about it.

Has anyone seen a poll which gives an idea of how Californians view the proposed amendment?

Considering Prop 22 passed with 61% of the vote, I’m guessing Californians don’t like the idea of same sex marriage. Just like the 16 other states that have recently had it on their ballots. SSM lost in all cases, resoundingly.

I believe a simple majority is required.

Possibly for normal props, but I thought a constitutional amendment needed a super-majority. I could be wrong. A simple majority would be easy. I guess getting it on the ballot may be tougher. Especially because the GLBT lobby is right now trying to get the over 1 million signatures we already have disqualified. They are going to fight like crazy for this not to get on the ballot, because they know if it does, it will pass.

I couldn’t find any special requirement in the state constitution.

You are correct that it is likely to pass. There has been debate on the other thread on what percentage of Californians would like to see such a state amendment. My guess is in the upper 40s; 48 or 49. But if I’m right, there should be no problem getting it passed because those in favor of the amendment are much more likely to vote than those opposed.

It may not be in the CA constitution. I know it take a super majority for any prop related to taxes to pass, and that is also not in there. I will have to do more research.

It will have to be in there, because the mechanism of amending the state constitution is governed by… the state constitution.

Perhaps what you are referring to with the tax issue is in Article 13A of the constitution.

Section 4. Cities, Counties and special districts, by a two-thirds
vote of the qualified electors of such district, may impose special
taxes on such district, except ad valorem taxes on real property or a
transaction tax or sales tax on the sale of real property within
such City, County or special district.

This refers only to local taxes. I can’t find any requirement for a supermajority of statewide voters on any issue. The only supermajority requirements of any kind that I was able to find are the one I listed and another for local property assessments.

Well, like I said, I could be wrong. Which in this case is good news. A simple majority is within reach. The big fight will be getting it on the ballot.

Nope, I won’t… Thanks!

The backers of the amendment gathered nearly twice as many signatures as they needed to get it on the ballot.

An AP news story claims that a simple majority is all which is needed for voters to amend the constitution.
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080516/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage

I live in California and I signed the petition to put the amendment on the ballot. This week’s Court action was an idiotic decision by a liberal Supreme Court that thinks that it is in the business of thwarting the will of the people and legislating from the bench.

Personally, I am not only in favor of the amendment, but I would also like to see the four judges that voted to allow gay marriage to be recalled.

If you do not know what is wrong with gay marriage and why it is not a marriage, please do some research. I would suggest that you start by going to John Martignoni’s website: biblechristiansociety.com and download his MP3 entitled, Marriage & the Eucharist: The Two Shall Become One.

I’m in Ca. That’s what I’ll be doing.

The original initiative was just stupid and controlling. A small % of people even bothered to vote - so the decision was not representative of the will of people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.