Gay Marriage Supporters Threaten to Strip Churches of Tax Exemption

And your private interpretation of that one text means that the current regulations in the USA are unjust or violating God’s intention in that one particular passage? A bit of stretch, no?

[quote="onthenarrowpath, post:20, topic:176545"]
So only in America are the Lord's words nullified?

[/quote]

What in the world are you talking about? Determining that churches are tax exempt does not "nullify" the Lord's words. What a very strange comment....

The real benefit of being tax exempt is the exemption from taxes on profits. The benefit is that as a non-profit, tax exempt organization, people who contribute to the Church get tax deductions. Losing the tax exemption wouldn’t mean that the Church paid taxes; it would mean that the people who donate to the Church and her related activities (Catholic Charities, Campaign for Human Development, St. Vincent de Paul, etc.) would not get the tax exemption that they do now. The fear is that donations would fall which would mean less funds for the Church’s work.

This has been happening for ages. 1989 I think is when the ACLU tried to sue us in New York. It didn't work, obviously. Interestingly enough, a group of Satanists gained tax exemption while the case was going on. And guess who didn't say anything:rolleyes:

How so? Is there a different way of interpreting it that is more clear than it already is?

Not strange at all when you look at the context of my comment in response to what you said. You declared “***We determined what we owe the government. It’s called a democratic republic.***”

Does being a democratic republic give us the right to nullify the Lord’s teaching that we are to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s?

How about if we overrule the Lord’s teaching that we love our enemies, and start hurling venom at those we disagree with, verbally assaulting them and injuring them with our words, simply because in this country we have freedom of speech?

Simple. The democratic republic *is *Caesar. By paying the taxes that our goverment determined, we are still following Our Lord’s teaching. :shrug:

Now, can you explain how it nullify’s Our Lord’s teaching? Because your comment makes no sense.

[quote=onthenarrowpath]How about if we overrule the Lord’s teaching that we love our enemies, and start hurling venom at those we disagree with, verbally assaulting them and injuring them with our words, simply because in this country we have freedom of speech?
[/quote]

That also doesn’t make any sense…freedom doesn’t nullify Our Lord’s call for us to love our enemy. It couldn’t.

thank you, you’re dead on, and that had not crossed my mind.

well my donations would go up....if my CC was ever in trouble, I'd run to her <3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.