Gay Priests?

Good Day, I’v read Pope Benedict’s decleration regarding Homosexuals and Holy Orders from 2005. Are Gays allowed into semenaries now, what about Bisexuals?

There is a difference between "gays" and those with same-sex attraction disorder. While gays do suffer from SSAD, they embrace that evil and let it rule their life, and they give into temptation. Those who suffer from SSAD and SSAD alone, who do not embrace it, are not gay, they just suffer SSAD. I do believe that these men are allowed into the Priesthood (though I could most certainly be wrong), but gays - as in open homosexuals - are not allowed into the Priesthood. I hope I have helped :) God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

[quote="Crusading_Canuk, post:1, topic:221060"]
Good Day, I'v read Pope Benedict's decleration regarding Homosexuals and Holy Orders from 2005. Are Gays allowed into semenaries now, what about Bisexuals?

[/quote]

Might I suggest you post this on the Vocations forum? People there might be able to give you some personalized advice depending on your circumstances.

[quote="LoyalViews, post:2, topic:221060"]
There is a difference between "gays" and those with same-sex attraction disorder. While gays do suffer from SSAD, they embrace that evil and let it rule their life, and they give into temptation. Those who suffer from SSAD and SSAD alone, who do not embrace it, are not gay, they just suffer SSAD. I do believe that these men are allowed into the Priesthood (though I could most certainly be wrong), but gays - as in open homosexuals - are not allowed into the Priesthood. I hope I have helped :) God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

[/quote]

Obviously I should have made the distinction more clear. Sorry, what I ment was; If those poor souls tempted by Satan with SSAD could become priests. I always make the distinction between one who is tempted and those who give in. But can they become Priests/Monks/Nuns etc

[quote="Crusading_Canuk, post:4, topic:221060"]
Obviously I should have made the distinction more clear. Sorry, what I ment was; If those poor souls tempted by Satan with SSAD could become priests. I always make the distinction between one who is tempted and those who give in. But can they become Priests/Monks/Nuns etc

[/quote]

I do think that those with SSAD can become Priests, Nuns, Monks, Brothers, Deacons, etc.

I've heard someone say in the past, can't remember who. The person said there are no gay priests, nor heterosexual ones. They are celibate and should have given up their sexual appetite. This line of reasoning comes from the fact that being classified gay or heterosexual depends on your sexual preference. And priests (at least RC priests) should not be preferring sex at all.

[quote="Crusading_Canuk, post:1, topic:221060"]
Good Day, I'v read Pope Benedict's decleration regarding Homosexuals and Holy Orders from 2005. Are Gays allowed into semenaries now, what about Bisexuals?

[/quote]

It seems obvious the answer is no.

Vatican "instruction" of 2005-NOV:

"Concerning profoundly deep-rooted homosexual tendencies, that one discovers in a certain number of men and women, these are also objectively disordered and often constitute a trial, even for these men and women. These people must be received with respect and delicacy; one will avoid every mark of unjust discrimination with respect to them. These are called to realize the will of God in their lives and to unite to the Sacrifice of the Lord the difficulties that they may encounter."

"The church, while deeply respecting the people in question, cannot admit to the seminary and the sacred orders those who practice homosexuality, present deeply rooted homosexual tendencies or support so-called gay culture.''

"Those people find themselves, in fact, in a situation that presents a grave obstacle to a correct relationship with men and women. One cannot ignore the negative consequences that can stem from the ordination of people with deeply rooted homosexual tendencies.''

"If instead it is a case of homosexual tendencies that are merely the expression of a transitory problem, for example as in the case of an unfinished adolescence, they must however have been clearly overcome for at least three years before ordination as a deacon.''

"If a candidate practices homosexuality or present profoundly deep-rooted homosexual tendencies, his spiritual director, like his confessor, must dissuade him, in conscience, from proceeding towards Ordination."

"It would be gravely dishonest if a candidate were to hide his own homosexuality to enter, notwithstanding everything, to Ordination. An attitude so inauthentic does not correspond to the spirit of truth, allegiance, and availability that must characterize the personality of he who believes to be called to serve Christ and His Church in the priestly ministry."

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:6, topic:221060"]
I've heard someone say in the past, can't remember who. The person said there are no gay priests, nor heterosexual ones. They are celibate and should have given up their sexual appetite. This line of reasoning comes from the fact that being classified gay or heterosexual depends on your sexual preference. And priests (at least RC priests) should not be preferring sex at all.

[/quote]

I think priests as normal men do have sexual desires from time to time. I've seen interviews with priests where they say they do have these desires. To have them, I would say, is part of the normal human condition. What seminarians and clergy have to do is work at overcoming these desires and to avoid giving in to them.

[quote="Crusading_Canuk, post:4, topic:221060"]
Obviously I should have made the distinction more clear. Sorry, what I ment was; If those poor souls tempted by Satan with SSAD could become priests.

[/quote]

There is no ontological or canonical impediment. The vow of celibacy still applies.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:6, topic:221060"]

[/quote]

To have mastered our appetites is not the same as not having them. We must avoid the near occasion of sin, including in our thoughts, but there is no one in any state of life who is morally required to be beyond temptation.

[quote="Matthew_Holford, post:8, topic:221060"]
I think priests as normal men do have sexual desires from time to time. I've seen interviews with priests where they say they do have these desires. To have them, I would say, is part of the normal human condition. What seminarians and clergy have to do is work at overcoming these desires and to avoid giving in to them.

[/quote]

Every one, regardless of their state in life must do this.

Personalized advice depending on my circumstances? Um… if I’m taking this the right way, there seems to be a misunderstanding. I like women.

[quote="ByzCath, post:11, topic:221060"]
Every one, regardless of their state in life must do this.

[/quote]

Yes, that is true however the thread is about priests. Plus, my post was responding to a post that inferred the idea that priests are asexual. The difference, of course, is that a Latin Catholic priest (with some exceptions, e.g. priests who were former Anglicans) have to be celibate. While weird sexual desires in my mind would almost certainly count as a sin as a married man I don't have to be celibate like a priest I can have sexual relations with my wife.

In his new interview-book Light of the World, Pope Benedict addresses the issue of homosexual priests. Granted, one cannot regard this book as a Church document, but it gives an insight into his thoughts and the earlier official document from 2005. There is a tendency among some to think that the priest is supposed to be celibate anyway, so his sexual orientation doesn't really matter. This is not the case, according to Pope Benedict. He says:

Homosexuality is incompatible with the priestly vocation. Otherwise, celibacy itself would lose its meaning as a renunciation. It would be extremely dangerous if celibacy became a sort of pretext for bringing people into the priesthood who don't want to get married anyway. For, in the end, their attitude toward man and woman is somehow distorted, off centre, and, in any case, is not within the direction of creation of which we have spoken...

Obviously, the 2005 document goes into more detail, though, admittedly, some parts may be rather ambiguous. However, what the pope is saying quite clearly in the book is that celibacy must involve sacrifice - so he clearly does not mean to imply that priests are supposed to be asexual. Telling a man who doesn't want to get married anyway that he is going to have to live celibately is like asking a vegetarian to give up meat for Lent: there is no meaning or significance to it - and celibacy is supposed to have an important sign-value attached to it.

[quote="NPC, post:14, topic:221060"]
In his new interview-book Light of the World, Pope Benedict addresses the issue of homosexual priests. Granted, one cannot regard this book as a Church document, but it gives an insight into his thoughts and the earlier official document from 2005. There is a tendency among some to think that the priest is supposed to be celibate anyway, so his sexual orientation doesn't really matter. This is not the case, according to Pope Benedict. He says:

Obviously, the 2005 document goes into more detail, though, admittedly, some parts may be rather ambiguous. However, what the pope is saying quite clearly in the book is that celibacy must involve sacrifice - so he clearly does not mean to imply that priests are supposed to be asexual. Telling a man who doesn't want to get married anyway that he is going to have to live celibately is like asking a vegetarian to give up meat for Lent: there is no meaning or significance to it - and celibacy is supposed to have an important sign-value attached to it.

[/quote]

What you are saying reminds me of something JREducation said in another thread. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) that if someone does not have the skill set to be be a good partner in a marriage then he will not make good priest. He also said that further more you cannot give what you don't have if you do not possess the skills to be married you are not giving up anything by making a promise of celibacy.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.