Gender and sin

Is fornication a greater crime in a woman because the cost is greater? Pregnancy, single mother,STDs ( heard somewhere it is easier for women to contract STDs because of their genitals), women tend to get emotionally attached. Besides it makes more sense why women would get more emotionally attached. You have to trust someone to allow them inside of you.Some are more responsible with their sexuality. Does that reduce their culpability?Is fornication more forgivable in men because it is in their nature to want to spread their seed? Men have a higher sex drive and remain fertile all of their life. There is less physical or emotional costs for men who fornicate. Does God forgive women more for vanity? Women are often valued on their youth, fertility, and beauty - it makes sense that women would be more vain. I often wonder why people sin in ways that damage them. If you cannot handle no strings attached sex, why fornicate? There are female friends I have that want to prove they can have sex like a man but almost everytime they end up crying over a jerk who could care less. Where is the gain? There are some women who are just pursuing pleasure hence no emotional aftermath.

Our strengths and weaknesses, whether more common among our sex or not, may influence how culpable we are for our sins, however…

You can spin all sorts of situations, but it’s always wrong to treat ourselves and others as things rather than persons. “Everybody else like me did it” is not an excuse to hide behind.

I’m not sure if it’s spiritually fruitful to wonder, really.

No

But perhaps since we sin outwardly in different ways and think differently in our excuses (though the excuses stem from the same truth) we should try to remember who we should be

In the gender fluid society where anything traditional about gender even to hardcorr Catholics/Christians sounds terrible :confused: it seems all God ever said on things of such a nature were for those old time peeps alone.

Perhaps if we embrace what God made us we would find order easier and have one less layer of denial to fight through.

No the male is actually more guilty due to his indifference to the plight of the female partner.
Because it is my nature does not reduce anything.

Agree.

Yeah. Pretty much this.

Frankly, all of this is irrelevant. Fornication is a sin of grave matter. That’s it. Wondering whether the man or woman is worse is a waste of time!

In the end, you shouldn’t minimize the culpability of either sex, or ignore the mitigating circumstances that exist in specific instances.

It’s tempting to make guys out to be worse, 'cuz nobody wants to seem like a misogynist. But today’s culture makes it harder on boys than ever; with their strong sex drive, how deliberate and free is the act of fornication in each instance? Are they less blameworthy because of this?
God only knows.

The past culture used to make it more normal and admirable for girls to say no (which was very helpful for the well-being of guys). It’s less expected now. It happens less often–is that mostly the fault of the cultural norms? Is the girl who has somewhat more control of her impulses more at fault for saying yes? Or are the emotional pressures mitigating?
God only knows.

So it looks like Thistle’s point about being mostly concerned about the objectively sinful quality of fornication, is right on.

fornication is grave matter. Period. Whether it is a mortal sin or not is entirely dependent on the level of “full knowledge” and “free will” of an individual and has nothing to do with gender. Certain things will indeed be mitigating factors but these are applied on an individual level, not by gender.

I respectfully disagree. I think women are capable of taking responsibility for their own actions. Just as men are.

Of course this is true.

However, I think the point was that it can be worse for a person to knowingly tempt another to a sin they are likely to fall to (such as giving a drink to a known alcoholic), especially when the stakes are high for the tempted person (such as giving a drink to a known alcoholic at a social function for a company.)

Historically speaking (and even to some extent today), one could make the argument that men who tempted women to fornication with false promises of love and relationship, who then abandoned them when the woman became pregnant, could bear more responsibility. But again I’m not sure it’s a particularly fruitful exercise. Women certainly bore the lion’s share of social stigma and punishment in those situations. However, there were and are also women who are the pursuers in those situations, who may hope to “trap” a man into marriage this way, and that is also gravely wrong.

Bottom line: don’t treat people as things, and don’t try to trip other people up so you can satisfy your own ends. (And don’t blame other people when you fail. If certain situations or people make you more likely to be tempted, then avoid those temptations.)

Mortal sin is mortal sin. So no.

God doesn’t forgive someone more, he forgives everyone if they repent sincerely. Women’s looks are usually valued more, but that doesn’t mean that a woman is vain because she wants to look good. Same goes for a man. I personally don’t know what is vanity exactly, I could be vain :confused: but for example, if a woman is pressured to look skinny, and she diets to achieve that, she might not necessarily be vain, so there’s nothing more to “forgive”. God knows exactly where you stand, it has nothing to do with your biological sex. You consciously sin, you bear the same consequences as the opposite sex.

Culpability depends on the individual. I think after spending enough time with people, we realize that there are plenty of men and women who don’t fit the typical stereotypes when it comes to gender (there are men who find sex very intimate, there are girls who have sex like rabbits without caring, etc)

I guess you can argue women carry the greater sin by tempting men who are generally weak when it comes to sex. Sure women can do sex with no strings attached. Some assume women like this are broken in some way - sexual abuse. I do not believe this is always the case though. I hate that assumption as well.

Again, nothing to do with gender. If a woman were to tempt someone to sin, it would probably be the sin of inmodesty. A guy who does the same, or at least tries to tempt someone, would have the same consequences. It’s really not the ‘greater sin’. Plus men should be strong enough to decline sex if someone were to tempt him. If he didn’t, they both sinned (sin of fornication). For the woman, it’s another sin (because she tempted someone else to sin?). It has nothing to do with gender at the end of the day. Especially since men also tempt women to have sex all the time as well, not just women.

So basically, it’s not the greater sin. Tempting someone to sin, is another sin. The sin of fornication is still equally the same

That is well and good that you disagree with my opinion.:slight_smile:
There are so many different variables that it would be next to impossible to assign greater guilt of parties involved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.