Gender pronouns in the workplace

I’m not much concerned about this issue but to some people it’s important. I don’t mind respecting their wishes. In my other language everyone has the same pronouns but there are a lot of them because you have to distinguish inclusive, exclusive, singular, dual and plural and whether a thing own controls of encloses the owner or the other way around.

Wherever I’ve been I find everyone extraordinarily polite. More so than most places I’ve been. And it didn’t take long for me to start using ‘y’all’…When I start saying ‘classic rack’ and ‘dot cam’ I know it’s time to move on.

As an Englishwoman from the Midlands, I generally call everyone Chick. Gender specific might be Lass or Pal, Chap or Fella.
The joy of colloquial slang.

I have no time for people designating their own personal pronouns, particularly when they are actually made-up words like ze and zir. It’s one thing to have preferences about your name. It’s quite another to demand that the rules of a language bend to accommodate your personal foibles, and try to make everyone round you tied up in knots to not offend you by using the new version of language usage you have created. Honestly, it the height of narcissism.

LOL.

Few things are funnier than my husband slipping with “y’all” (he’s from Southampton).

The argument is that gender is a “spectrum,” so somebody could theoretically be a bit Ms-ish and a bit Mr-ish. So you’re expected to refer to the person with one of any number of neologisms.

I don’t follow it at all, but that’s how I’ve heard it explained.

In this interview, at timestamp 6:00, somebody actually makes the argument that people should program people’s names and preferred pronouns into their Smartphones. This elitist drivel fails to acknowledge that a quarter of the Canadian population still doesn’t carry a Smartphone.

Isn’t this where the idea of the emerging new Mx. in place of Mr/Mrs/Miss comes from?

I am amused that people are putting every variation of their preferred pronoun in the signature. If I say “he” that means it will also be “his, him”. They are al variations of “he”. You don’t need to list them. Unless…I wonder if you are allowed to swap between gender pronouns based on subject? So you could be he/her/him? She/Sir/them? The permutations are exciting! Or does that break the rules too much?

Interesting. I hadn’t heard of that.

I’m going to go with “Hey, you!” for mine.

Just salute!

Okay, I haven’t read all the posts in this thread yet.

But the big question I have is, why is it necessary to include this in an email signature? Even if you want to use some unexpected and/or non-traditional pronouns, is this something that needs to be attached to every email you send? When I respond to someone in an email, I don’t use pronouns to refer to that person because the email is going to him or her. So why do I need to know this?

Just like you, it’s not going to be part of my time schedule to be unnatural with others. I’ll respectfully call a transgender by whatever name they want, but a real name- Mary, Fred, etc.

On second thought, maybe being called “maam” is better than being called an “old bag”!

A sign of a possessed person if I ever saw one.

TRUTH!!! LOL

Also truth.

Have you not learned there is zero place for this sort of logic in today’s workplace?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I’d be so fed up working around people who want other people to talk in unnatural ways. You could say, “Hi Pam, how are you?”. And she could say, “my name’s not Pam, it’s Dan”. Say “my mistake”, and walk away!

Tbh, the only time I really need to use pronouns to describe someone is when I’m talking about them and they aren’t there, surely? Face to face, you use a name or a you, don’t you?
So a) don’t talk about people unnecessarily when they aren’t present, and b) how would they know if you get it wrong or right anyway??!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a two-way street. This group you referred to has to also respect the beliefs of us who don’t conform to them.

Oh, well I’ll just be super old school and go by “Mrs. [Husband’s name].” Should bring the confusion full circle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.