Genealogy of Jesus- Matthew and Luke

Matthew is part of todays reading 1-25. I found this link helpful in relation to Luke. Let me know your thoughts.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewsforjesus.org%2Fpublications%2Fissues%2Fv05-n06%2Fgenealogy&ei=v9iaVLv9KMSmgwSm9YHICA&usg=AFQjCNFZjEXsDNStgxBKpTd0QeQcycn2qQ

Two things may be noted by way of conclusion. First, many rabbinic objections to the messiahship of Jesus are based on his genealogy. The argument goes, “Since Jesus was not a descendant of David through his father, he cannot be Messiah and King.” But the Messiah was supposed to be different. As early as Genesis 3:15, it was proposed that the Messiah would be reckoned after the “seed of the woman,” although this went contrary to the biblical norm. The necessity for this exception to the rule became apparent when Isaiah 7:14 prophesied that the Messiah would be born of a virgin: “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call his name Immanuel.” Whereas all others receive their humanity from both father and mother, the Messiah would receive his humanity entirely from his mother. Whereas Jewish nationality and tribal identity were normally determined by the father, with the Messiah it would be different. Since he was to have no human father, his nationality and his tribal identity would come entirely from his mother. True, this is contrary to the norm, but so is a virgin birth. With the Messiah, things would be different.

In addition, these genealogies present a fourfold portrait of the messianic person through four titles. In Matthew 1:1 he is called the Son of David and the Son of Abraham. In Luke 3:38 he is called the Son of Adam and the Son of God. As the Son of David, it means that Jesus is king. As the Son of Abraham, it means that Jesus is a Jew. As the Son of Adam, it means that Jesus is a man. As the Son of God, it means that Jesus is God. This fourfold portrait of the messianic person as presented by the genealogies is that of the Jewish God-Man King. Could the Messiah be anyone less?

Merry Christmas Gary!
My first thought is “cool”. :cool:
I’m anxious to hear what the Jewish members of the forum might say. I hope they weigh in. I love these discussions with our Jewish brothers and sisters.
I’ll check back between bouts of cooking, LOL

Peace,
Clare

Messiah won’t need a genealogy or DNA profile because there will be evident ‘here and now’, ‘real world’ consequences. It won’t be necessary to trawl through the Tanakh for verses that a little text manipulation might turn into prophesies, either.

:stuck_out_tongue: Thats what I thought. Happy holidays! But I know you know the whole story about Jeconiah? I’m a little lost there, whats the tradition on that?

Merry Christmas Clare!

And a Happy Christmas to you - the Jewish Encyclopaedia is always my first recourse when faced with these odd bits of biblical history - here they are on Jeconiah.

"As the Son of Abraham, it means that Jesus is a Jew. "

Abraham was not a Jew. Only those descended from Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, are Jews. The line of Ishmael, son of Abraham, produced the Moslems. Then the sons of Keturah, final wife of Abraham, produced six sons who have been lost to history.

Good point

Matthew 1+ This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham: Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers.…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.