Genealogy of Jesus

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering; Jesus is supposed to be descended from King David, however the lineages that are given in scripture (Matthew 1:1, Luke 3:23-38) trace Jesus’ genealogy through Joseph, even though Joseph is not his biological father. Is there some other source in the Bible that shows that Mary is also descended from David?

During the Annunciation, Gabriel says to Mary “…and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David.” (Luke 1:32). This seems like a pretty weak argument to say that Mary is descended from David.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In the ancient Jewish culture, the genealogy and the blessings would pass thru the father, even if he was only the step-father.
And they would generally marry within the same tribe, so more than likely Mary would have also been of the tribe of Judah, which David was a part of.

In ancient Israelite culture, fatherhood wasn’t only through natural, biological offpring. Adoption also conferred full rights of fatherhood. There was also the law of the levir, wherein if a man died childless, his brother was required to marry his widow and have a child with her, and the child would then be reckoned as the dead man’s son.

Jesus was St. Joseph’s adopted son, making St. Joseph his legal, real father. This gives Jesus full rights and reckoning, including descent from David, and the line to the Davidic throne.

Mary could have well been from Judah too, even Davidic, since it was also part of custom. But whether or not she was Davidic is immaterial Scripture reckons Jesus’ Davidic lineage through St. Joseph, both in Matthew and Luke.

I guess that would make sense. Knowledge of Genetics is barely a century old depending on your definition (most of the modern ideas of heredity were worked out hybridizing plants in the 19th century, although hereditary characteristics were first studied all the way back in hippocrates’ and aristotle’s day).

To retroactively apply our gene-based standards of lineage to a time when familial bonds didn’t depend on a blood test is really unfair.

Yes: Note Isaias, 7, 11-14 is directed solely to the “house of David”. To a virgin of the house of David. This is referring to Mary being from the house of David, not ONLY Joseph. Both were of the house of David.

[quote=www.drbo.org] Isaias 7,11 Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God either unto the depth of hell, or unto the height above. 12 And Achaz said: I will not ask, and I will not tempt the Lord. 13 And he said: Hear ye therefore, O house of David: Is it a small thing for you to be grievous to men, that you are grievous to my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel.
[/quote]

Yes, because marrying a woman makes her a member of that man’s house (there is also a possibility that Mary can be Levite, based on her blood relationship with Elizabeth. Then again, Elizabeth could have been Davidic who married a Levite, etc.)

Nevertheless, the lineage to David is reckoned through St. Joseph by adoption, and Jesus is indeed a descendant of David.

Somewhere I got the idea that a Levite, or at least a priest, had to marry within the tribe of Levi. Anyone have anything on that?

I think the Marrying A Levite is in Numbers. I dunno; not sure about that.

According to my research, Jesus (Yeshua) is of the Tribe of Judah and House of David biologically via Mary (Meriam) and by adoption via Joseph. The genealogy found in Matthew is that of Jesus via Joseph; whereas, the one in Luke is that of Jesus via Mary (the careful Bible student and researcher will discover).

Sources for further study see:

newadvent.org/cathen/06410a.htm

rtforum.org/lt/lt11.html

lifeofchrist.com/life/genealogy/

Hope that helps…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.