General Confession

Does anyone have experience with making a general confession of their whole life they would be willing to share?

[quote="chosendaughter, post:1, topic:314197"]
Does anyone have experience with making a general confession of their whole life they would be willing to share?

[/quote]

I do. What would you like to know specifically? Mine was literally from when I first went to "Reconciliation" in grade 2 up until last year (roughly 18 yrs). I suspect my spiritual director is going to require me to do one again.

[quote="chosendaughter, post:1, topic:314197"]

[/quote]

I was baptized at 20. I made my first confession a few months after that, and then went almost three years without going to confession again. I began feeling like I needed to go (or started recognizing the feeling that I needed to go) and went on Good Friday.

I explained to the priest that this was only my second confession ever and that I was really afraid. I had done an examination of conscience but I was very confused and had no idea what to do or say, so he led me through a general confession. He was very kind and helpful (especially since I was a crying mess. :blush:)

If you know you would need one, I would suggest making an appointment. I did feel bad that there were very long lines and I took up so much time (not to mention I was embarrassed about crying and that everyone saw afterwards that I had been crying.)

I made one a year ago. I went to a FSSP priest. What surprised me most is that he said if i ever made another general confession,that I shouldn't repeat what I said there. I should start from that point on. I don't know if I would do one again. I felt SO horribly sinful going all the way back like that. My spiritual director told me I was in dangerous territory, as I was telling him about the experience. I paid attention to that comment. I was stuck in my sinfulness, rather than letting go.

I made one a year ago. I went to a FSSP priest. What surprised me most is that he said if i ever made another general confession,that I shouldn't repeat what I said there. I should start from that point on. I don't know if I would do one again. I felt SO horribly sinful going all the way back like that. My spiritual director told me I was in dangerous territory, as I was telling him about the experience. I paid attention to that comment. I was stuck in my sinfulness, rather than letting go.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:2, topic:314197"]
I do. What would you like to know specifically? Mine was literally from when I first went to "Reconciliation" in grade 2 up until last year (roughly 18 yrs). I suspect my spiritual director is going to require me to do one again.

[/quote]

I have several questions. One main one is how did you organize your sins? I have a bigger period of time than you did. I am not sure if I should block sins off by periods of my life ie high school, college, post college single years, married....(and on and on) OR just list things based on the ten commandments and the 7 deadly sins and fill in the time frame number of times from there. The problem I am having with the first option is some things span more than one period of my life.

Thanks

[quote="brikar, post:4, topic:314197"]

[/quote]

I can relate. Just thinking about this is hard.

[quote="silicasandra, post:3, topic:314197"]

I explained to the priest that this was only my second confession ever and that I was really afraid. I had done an examination of conscience but I was very confused and had no idea what to do or say, so he led me through a general confession. He was very kind and helpful (especially since I was a crying mess. :blush:)

If you know you would need one, I would suggest making an appointment. I did feel bad that there were very long lines and I took up so much time (not to mention I was embarrassed about crying and that everyone saw afterwards that I had been crying.)

[/quote]

This will be me when the time comes. I hope I have as understanding a priest as you did.

Blessings

[quote="chosendaughter, post:6, topic:314197"]
I have several questions. One main one is how did you organize your sins? I have a bigger period of time than you did. I am not sure if I should block sins off by periods of my life ie high school, college, post college single years, married....(and on and on) OR just list things based on the ten commandments and the 7 deadly sins and fill in the time frame number of times from there. The problem I am having with the first option is some things span more than one period of my life.

Thanks

[/quote]

I made a general one several months ago, and I went by a vague descending order of severity. That seems to be the easiest way.

Thanks

[/quote]

I used a special examination of conscience specifically designed for general confessions. It was based on first the precepts of the church, the 10 commandments, and then various states of life (ie: married, teachers, public officials, etc). I had a "book of sins" rather than a "list of sins". When I did an examination of conscience, I broke things up throughout the stages of my life to make it easier, but I confessed everything all together. It was not one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life.

[quote="silicasandra, post:3, topic:314197"]
. (not to mention I was embarrassed about crying and that everyone saw afterwards that I had been crying.)

[/quote]

Silica Sandra and Cheezy...don't worry about the tears....there's usually a box of tissues in the confessional because tears are very common......then comes your smile from the wonderful feeling that comes as you are leaving.

[quote="RoseMary131, post:11, topic:314197"]
Silica Sandra and Cheezy...don't worry about the tears....there's usually a box of tissues in the confessional because tears are very common......then comes your smile from the wonderful feeling that comes as you are leaving.

[/quote]

let's just say that it's too bad I don't have stock in Kleenex. 12 years, and as much in the last six months, as in the first 11 1/2.......
It has been troubling to say the least....

thank you.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:10, topic:314197"]
I used a special examination of conscience specifically designed for general confessions. It was based on first the precepts of the church, the 10 commandments, and then various states of life (ie: married, teachers, public officials, etc). I had a "book of sins" rather than a "list of sins". When I did an examination of conscience, I broke things up throughout the stages of my life to make it easier, but I confessed everything all together. It was not one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life.

[/quote]

Thank you. I can relate to the book of sins you are referring to. That said another question I had was if I was to be recalling all my sins (venial as well as mortal). I am going to assume the answer is yes, but just curious. I have been struggling also with the number of times for sins. In some cases all I am going to be able to do is a general about this often for so many years.

Lots of emotion going on here to.

Thanks again

I confessed everything that I could think of including venial, but you aren’t going to remember everything. I did not concern myself with numbers. But, if something was a habitual problem, I would probably say that. I am going to say something to you that my confessor said to me. “Don’t worry about doing it right.” Open yourself up to Jesus. Let Him know you are sorry. Accept His forgiveness and use the sacrament and the graces received to grow closer to Christ. Let go of all the anxiety.

[quote="brikar, post:14, topic:314197"]
I confessed everything that I could think of including venial, but you aren't going to remember everything. I did not concern myself with numbers.

[/quote]

If one is confessing mortal sins that have never been confessed before, they MUST be confessed in number, kind, and circumstances that change things. Not doing so invalidates absolution.

Thank you again. I do understand. Kind and number and EVERYTHING mortal.

Thanks also for the words of encouragement.

How long did it take you to prepare?

[quote="chosendaughter, post:16, topic:314197"]
Thank you again. I do understand. Kind and number and EVERYTHING mortal.

Thanks also for the words of encouragement.

How long did it take you to prepare?

[/quote]

Several weeks. I went through many drafts.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:17, topic:314197"]
Several weeks. I went through many drafts.

[/quote]

Perhaps it's my mood at the moment, but this sounds discouraging. And today I was given conflicting information.
If ever I get into RCIA, I will need to confess my entire life.
VS
If ever I get into RCIA, I will need to confess only that which happened between completion and entry.

Can someone offer definitively which is the actual case?
Thank you.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:10, topic:314197"]
I used a special examination of conscience specifically designed for general confessions.

[/quote]

Could you possibly provide the link or place you found that examination? Thanks.

Thanks

[/quote]

I made a general confession before being recieved into the Lay Order of Carmelites at the age of 49. It took me about a week to do the examination of conscience and I tried to organize it by order of severity of the sins first and then I went through the Ten Commandments and the Seven Deadly Sins. As sins came to mind, I jotted them down; I didn't edit and re-write my list to make it more organized. It came to 13 pages and it took about 45 minutes to confess. I've always been single so I'm sure that made it a little easier for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.