General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar

I have two questions about the General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar. Paragraph 58 reads

“For the pastoral advantage of the people, it is permissible to observe on the Sundays in Ordinary Time those celebrations that fall during the week and have special appeal to the devotion of the faithful, provided the celebrations take precedence over these Sundays in the Table of Liturgical Days.”

This seems to be an interesting and little-used allowance, depending on who gets to make this decision. I have two questions about it.

Can the priest make the decision, or does the local ordinary have to make it?

What celebrations may be moved? The Feasts of the Presentation (II,5), the Solemnity of Saint John the Baptist (I,3), the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul (I,3), the Feast of the Transfiguration (II,5), the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (I,3), the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (II,5), the Solemnity of All Saints, the Commemoration of All Souls (I,3), the Feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica (I,4), and Proper Solemnities for patrons, dedications, and founders (I,4) all normally occur during Ordinary Time and all outrank Sundays in Ordinary Time (II,6) in the Table of Liturgical Days. Does this mean that they may be moved to the nearest Sunday under this pastoral provision?

The GNLYC appears silent on this matter. I imply that the priest can make the decision.

Any that outrank the Sunday, i.e. if they fell on the Sunday those that would be celebrated rather than the Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.