Generation Diva - How our obsession with beauty is changing our kids

This is just strange, in my opinion. But, perhaps I am the strange one and this is more common than I realize. My daughter is 13 and has yet to show any interest in wearing make-up. I have to remind her to put on Chap Stick in the winter when I notice her lips are dry. (Just did that in the van on the way to school this morning.) I can’t imagine all that junk and all that primping for little girls the ages mentioned in this article. I myself didn’t have a pedicure until I was much older than 12 (a milestone birthday but I’m not going to say which one :D), and I’ve only had a couple in my life since, three total. I’ve had one manicure in my life. As far as 4th graders getting $50 haircuts and high schoolers getting $150 highlights, you have got to be kidding me. Do people really do that? Am I just way out of touch?

"Generation Diva
How our obsession with beauty is changing our kids.

There’s a scene in “Toddlers & Tiaras,” the TLC reality series, where 2-year-old Marleigh is perched in front of a mirror, smothering her face with blush and lipstick. She giggles as her mother attempts to hold the squealing toddler still, lathering her legs with self-tanner. “Marleigh loves to get tan,” her mom says, as the girl presses her face against the mirror.

Marleigh is one of many pageant girls on the show, egged on by obsessive mothers who train their tots to strut and swagger, flip their hair and pout their lips. I watch, mesmerized by the freakishness of it all, but wonder how different Marleigh is from average girls all across America. On a recent Sunday in Brooklyn, I stumble into a spa that brands itself for the 0 to 12 set, full of tweens getting facialed and glossed, hands and feet outstretched for manis and pedis. “The girls just love it,” says Daria Einhorn, the 21-year-old spa owner, who was inspired by watching her 5-year-old niece play with toy beauty kits."…

Full article here: newsweek.com/id/191247

Yes, it is very common for girls in high school to get highlights and designer haircuts, even despite the income of the family. It is not limited to big, trendy cities either-I live in a rural state and it is all over the place.

It is considered a necessity by so many teenagers. As insecure as teenagers are anyway, they are even more so nowadays because they do not have God in their lives.

It just makes you wonder. Up until the last 100 years, teenagers had babies and worked long hard hours. It seems in modern times, adulthood gets delayed until you are about 30 years. I don’t think this is a good thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.