Genesis 1:1 "created"

In the first verse of Genesis it says that God "created" the world. Does this mean He created from nothing "ex nihilo" or did He organize it from other things "ex materia"?

Is there any basis for the latter?

Many thanks for any help that you can give.

Hal.

If we presume that 'the world' is referring 'to earth' then it would be "ex material" because planets are created from already-existing swirling masses of gasses.

The Church teaches that God created everything that exists from nothing. With that said, my understanding is that He could have created matter from nothing and then organized that matter into things, rather than creating the things already organized into their ultimate form.

[quote="PrinceHal, post:1, topic:351244"]
In the first verse of Genesis it says that God "created" the world. Does this mean He created from nothing "ex nihilo" or did He organize it from other things "ex materia"?

Is there any basis for the latter?

Many thanks for any help that you can give.

Hal.

[/quote]

Catholic doctrine says that God created the universe ex nihilo. Whether he did this through a process of 13.798±0.037 billion years or through instantaneous creation is up to the individual to decide.

[quote="MattofTexas, post:3, topic:351244"]
The Church teaches that God created everything that exists from nothing. With that said, my understanding is that He could have created matter from nothing and then organized that matter into things, rather than creating the things already organized into their ultimate form.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

And His creation is finished through Jesus.

I believe that what we call matter is simply tightly-bound little wads of God’s love. I.E.,God’s love is what Creation consists of. So yeah, it’s ex nihilo.

[quote="MattofTexas, post:3, topic:351244"]

[/quote]

What if He created the energy first? Didn't Einstein show a relationship between mass and energy?

I think what we call energy is God’s love.

[quote="kkollwitz, post:8, topic:351244"]
I think what we call energy is God's love.

[/quote]

That'll work. :)

Here ya go: platytera.blogspot.com/2009/05/pneuma-einstein.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.