Genesis 1:28 (Navarre Bible Commentary)

Hi. I just received my new Navarre Bible, Pentateuch Edition and started reading it and I’m very glad that I bought it! There’s a lot of good commentary in it. I was reading the commentaries and came upon Genesis 1:28. Who would’ve thought that this verse has a lot of meaning, especially when it comes to our work, no matter what line of work we’re in, we are doing God’s plan and by us going to work, we grow personally and become better persons. I highly recommend this bible, I plan on buying (and reading) all the books.

Here’s this commentary from Navarre Bible on Genesis 1:28

Genesis 1:28

**28 And God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.”**Navarre Bible Commentary on Genesis 1:28

Here divine Revelation is teaching us that human work is to be regarded as a way by which man cooperates in the plan God had when he created the world: “By the work of his hands and with the aid of technical means man tills the earth to bring forth fruit and to make it a dwelling place fit for all mankind; he also consciously plays his part in the life of social groups; in so doing he is realizing the design, which God revealed at the beginning of time, to subdue the earth and perfect the work of creation, and at the same time he is improving his own person” (Vatican II, Gaudium et spes, 57).

From this divine disposition we can see the importance a person’s work has in his or her personal life: “Your human vocation is a part – and an important part – of your divine vocation. That is the reason why you must strive for holiness, giving a particular character to your human personality, a style to your life; contributing at the same time to the sanctification of others, your fellow men; sanctifying your work and your environment: the profession or job that fills your days, your home and family and the country where you were born and which you love …]. Work, all work, bears witness to the dignity of man, to his dominion over creation. It is an opportunity to develop one’s personality. It is a bond of union with others, the way to support one’s family, a means of aiding the improvement of the society in which we live and in the progress of all mankind” (St. J. Escriva, Christ is Passing By, 46-47),

Man is charged by God with mastery over the earth; but he may not do whatever he likes with it or act despotically: he should respect the universe as being the work of the Creator. In this regard, Wisdom 9:3 says: “O God, …] who hast formed man, to have dominion over the creatures thou hast made, and rule the world in holiness and righteousness, and pronounce judgment in uprightness of soul.” “This holds good also for our daily work. When men and women provide for themselves and their families in such a way as to be of service to the community as well, they can rightly look upon their work as a prolongation of the work of the creator, a service to their fellow men, and their personal contribution to the fulfillment in history of the divine plan” (Vatican II, Gaudium et spes, 34).

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I’d like to add this: who would’ve thought that washing the dishes and changing the diapers and doing the laundry was part of the Divine plan and actually a way to personal holiness for those of us whose primary vocation was simply to be a mom. It is true though and the little bit of the Commentary you shared says it very well - something the Church has always known because Mary, the Mother of God was the Model for the holy vocation of motherhood. Yeppers ladies. It is the truth. Holiness can be had while shopping at the local mart or folding the laundry and picking the cherrios out of the sofa for the umpteenth time.

Glenda

Glenda, just in case you hadn’t come across this, I think you’ll like it – St. Teresa of Avila said “God walks among the pots and pans.”

:slight_smile:

Can’t think of a greater work than changing a dirty diaper.

platytera.blogspot.com/2008/10/dirty-diapers-and-opus-dei.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.