Genesis 49:26

Is this a prophecy of Jesus coming from Nazereth?

I hope that life is treating you well!

I guess you realise that these verses refer to Joseph son of Israel. Several prophesies of Jesus’ promised coming and life can be found in Isaiah. I love reading Isaiah! Bless you, Trishie

Treating me good today, picked up my DR bible today. Thanks!

Yeah, I knew it referred to Isreal, just thought it might have a double meaning cause of the mention of Nazerite and crown.

Hi Dragoro,

There is no evidence for a prophesy about Jesus here, but the text could be applied, in a pious way, to St. Joseph.

Verbum

Here’s Genesis 49: 26 and Deuteronomy 33: 13-17 in the NAB:

“‘The God of your father, who helps you, God Almighty, who blesses you,
With the blessings of the heavens above, the blessings of the abyss that crouches below,
The blessings of breasts and womb, the blessings of fresh grain and blossoms,
The blessings of the everlasting mountains, the delights of the eternal hills.
May they rest on the head of Joseph, on the brow of the prince among his brothers.’”

Hebrew: “Birkhot 'avikha gavru al-birkhot horay ad-ta’avat givot `olam tih yey na L’rosh Yosef, ulekadkod Nazir e khav.

Translation: “…The blessings of your father are have prevailed above the blessings of the ancient mountains, than the bounty of the age-old hills; these shall be on the head of Joseph, and upon the brow of the prince among (Hebrew word N’zir from where we get the word ‘Nazirite’, alternate translation: ‘who is separated from’) his brothers.”

Septuagint: “Eulogias patros sou, kai mētros sou uperischumen ep’ eulogiais oreōn monimōn kai ep’ eulogiais thinōn aenaōn esontai kephalen Iōsēph, kai epi koruphēs on ēgēsato adelphōn.”

Translation: “The blessings of your father and your mother—it has prevailed above the blessing of the lasting mountains, and beyond the blessings of the everlasting hills; these shall be upon the head of Joseph, and upon the head of the brothers of whom he took the lead.”

The Vulgate renders the word “N’zir” untranslated, thus:

Vulgate: “Benedictiones patris tui confortatae sunt benedictionibus patrum ejus, donec veniret desiderium collium aeternorum: fiant in capite Joseph, et in vertice Nazaraei inter fratres suos.

Translation (Douay-Rheims): “The blessings of thy father are strengthened with the blessings of his fathers: until the desire of the everlasting hills should come; may they be upon the head of Joseph, and upon the crown of the Nazarite among his brethren.”

Thanks Patrick.

But it does remain a mystery as to what the crown of the Nazarite is…

The Nazarite wore long hair, which is a disgrace on a man. So though he was consecrated to God, he bore our disgrace.

Christ became a Nazarite when he took the vow at the last supper. He touched no dead thing since he was buried in an unused grave. And his crown of thorns proclaimed him the “rejected” king of Israel who bore the sins of us all. That he was from Nazareth just hinted at his divine mission.

Why might it be a prophecy :shrug: ? It’s a blessing.

OT texts don’t become prophecies by having NT ideas read back into them. If they did, one would be equally free to read historical texts as proverbs: the meaning of the text would be at the mercy of the ingenuity of the reader. Which is equivalent to saying it is meaningless - & it is not meaningless; though it may well be unfamiliar.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Also Old Testament types, shadows and prophecies don’t lose their meaning by denying them with a modernist literal-historicist assertion of their non-existence.

see idontknownuthin.com if you wish to regain an awe of the inspiration of the scriptures.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.