Genesis 9: 13?

Bow?

Cloud?

Genesis 9: 13
“I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.”

Is the a hunting bow?

Is this a rainbow?

Is this a rain cloud?

Is this the cloud of the Holy Spirit?

THANKS!

Most folks see it as the rainbow.

Think of it this way. Noah’s family survive the flood. A few months later a big rain storm moves in. What are they going to think? Oh no! It’s our turn! Or maybe, “Here we go again.” Then they see the rainbow and think, “O, God made a covenant with us” and they relax.

Makes sense to me. God didn’t want them spending the rest of their lives worrying, so he gave them a tangible reminder that there would never be such a flood again.

There weren’t rainbows before Noah?

On interpretation is that God used weather as a weapon. A bow is a weapon and God “set his bow in the clouds” or hung it up permanently.

When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. (Genesis 9:14-15)

Every covenant comes with a sign. Marriage has rings. The Eucharist has bread and wine. The bow is the sign of the covenant between God an all living things, as sign of God’s promise never again to wipe all life off the face of the earth.

-Tim-

There may well have been. I think there must have been. God did not change the laws of physics (optics, refraction, dispersion) at the time of Noah. Rather, God established a covenant with his people (and all living things), and chose the rainbow to be a sign of that covenant.

Thanks!!!

If it refers to a bow as in arrow then it could mean that God is there protecting us in a covenant. It is then a sign of protection.

If not a bow for an arrow then it can be a “bough” or something that perches above in the clouds where God is overseeing us. The clouds can mean that He is out of our reach at that time since we didn’t have flying machines. It shows the separation between us and God that needs to be made less distant.

Just speculating :slight_smile:

I believe the BOW might be connected to the spear, arrow, and lance.

St. Teresa of Avila’s spear or javelin that pierced her heart.

Any HELP?

Genesis was written a long time ago so we must have a mindset of what the writers were thinking and how they lived at that time. Bows were used for hunting and protection. So it seems appropriate to think that the bow of God is protecting us. Genesis had stories of the chosen ones and God always protected His chosen ones as part of His salvation plan.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 13. My rain bow. This had been from the beginning; but it was not before appointed for a sign that the earth should no more be destroyed by water. It is styled God’s bow, on account of its beauty and grandeur. (Menochius) (Ecclesiasticus xliii. 12.) — “As the rain-bow, which makes its appearance in the clouds, borrows all its effulgence from the sun, so those only who acknowledge the glory of Christ in God’s clouds, and do not seek their own glory, will escape destruction in the deluge,” St. Augustine, contra Faust. ii. 21.

Thanks!

yes, the atmosphere of the world likely changed when God recreates the world anew like before the ark of boat broke in twain what is and was kept as prosaic times was restored by Goodness ever-faithful through His reluctant servant Noae choice. the same could also be possible if only a few “adventurers” ingeminated what You have encountered a rainbow that is and because, more water and nearly the fountain depths was opened more rainbows downing and available all around. so, all of the above plus more additionally.

keep going and with God bless

If I am not mistaken, the Hebrew here is a bow, in the sense of one for arrows.

Also, the arrows is seen as joined to that bow.

Isaiah 49: 2 mentions an arrow and a sword.

We know that the Word of the Lord is a sword.

We know that Isaiah is like an arrow.

Is there a connection?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.