Genetic Engineering

What is the christian attitude towards genetic engineering, particularly involving humans, also, what is this backed up with. If anyone knows any teachings on the matter from other religions please write about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

As I understand it, the Catholic Church has held that genetic engineering, with the intent to play God, or to “improve” on His creation, is immoral. However, genetic engineering can be moral if its objective is to assist in God’s original plan, and the methods and goals preserve a fundamental respect for human dignity. Thus, it may be morally defensible to remove the extra chromosomes of 21-trisomy (Down’s Syndrome) patients in the same way as it is permissible to cure someone of any other condition. However, it is not permissible to create “designer” babies who will have the desired sex, height, IQ, etc. Similarly impermissible is the combining of animal with human genes, to create animal-human hybrids, or to otherwise design humans with “unique” abilities. Any genetic engineering must be oriented toward the healing of a particular patient, and not some impersonal eugenics program or the like.

Well you know what I think!

I just have a hypothetical question…

If we can make all of our babies really smart, would there be a reason not to?

[quote=Zahmir]I just have a hypothetical question…

[/quote]

Yes, it’s inherently sinful. If you can’t figure out why, read about the Tower of Babel in Genesis. Also, this would help the rich more than the poor, as they would be better able to afford it, so it wouldn’t be practical either.

Thankyou everyone.

[quote=Zahmir]I just have a hypothetical question…

[/quote]

I warned my daughter when she got married they were asking for trouble, they are both national merit scholars, scientists, and mensa members. As I predicted their children are not only doubly smart than either parent, but smarter to a power than both parents put together. When the 4 of them get together on something the parents are no match at all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.