Genetic mutation, Spider-Man, and sin

Before anyone asks, no, I’m not wondering if superheroes like Spider-Man are works of fiction we should avoid for being evil. I personally love the Spider-Man comics and movies. I was wondering though if in real life genetic mutation is a sin. If so, would it be immoral for someone who was enhanced against his or her own will to use their abilities for superhero acts like Spider-man or the Fantastic Four? It’s kind of random, but it would be good to know

The Church doesn’t instruct us on every miniscule detail of living. Genetic mutations happen all the time in the human body, they’re just so minor we don’t notice, or they are quickly removed. Apparently green eyes are a “mutation”.

I think you’re worrying over nothing. Things like comics et al only become “evil” if they become an idol, meaning you’d rather stay at home and read about Spiderman vs. Doc Oc instead of going to Mass.

These comics promote responsibility for one’s action and good succeeding over evil, I can’t see how that would be bad.

If it doesn’t contain excessie profanity, blasphemy, nudity then don’t worry about it.

And I’m pretty sure I noticed a pair of rosary beads on Parker’s desk in Spiderman.

I think it would all depend on how the mutation occured and why.

If a person was mutated accidently, probably not a sin. If a person willingly underwent a procedure which harmed them or gave them dangerous powers, or someone had to be hurt/killed to provide the procedure, then we’re into shakier territory.

I think we all have “abilities” even if they’re not mutation powers, and we are all obligated to use these talents and gifts for good, because all what does not bring us closer to God, pushes us further from Him. There’s no unmoving action. I don’t know that it would be necessairy to put on a mask and catch criminals, but if you could do it safer than the police, it would be a very noble move. :thumbsup:

As previous poster said, don’t dwell to much on this.

I think you raise a good question for thinking over!

I think that it is not a sin at all if done unintentionally or for medical gain. Much like taking painkillers is not a sin when you were just in a car wreck.

However, if you are purposefully using genetic mutation as a form of self-mutilation then it’s wrong. Much like taking painkillers just to “get high.”

Genetic mutations occur naturally all the time. And intentionally as well, compare the varieties of dog, or more importantly, read up on how emmer wheat was domesticated and developed into modern types, also a form of genetic mutation.

Actually there’s a X-men graphic novel from many years ago which deals with this theme somewhat. It has a rather rabid fundamentelaist preacher who starts spreading the message that been a mutant is intrinsically evil and that been born as such means you are damned.

It has a rather good speech on how a God with such a nature would not be worth believing in and how the preacher is perverting God to serve his onwn ends. This is given by one of the team members who is a young Jewish girl and shown to actually be reasonably devout in issues of the series.

Ah yes, here’s part of that sequence.The noise effect of the gun going off in the last panel is shown on the next page to be not the Reverend but a security officer who is a member of his own Church who shoots him to stop him killing a young girl.

Btw the character the young girl references is a devout Catholic and explicitly shown as such numerous times on panel.

comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=149874&GSub=23292

Ignoring for the sake of argument that such mutations are basically impossible, I’d say they wouldn’t be immoral to use. I mean, it’s part your body, part of your anatomy, why not use it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.