Geneva Bible--Craig Cameron

So, I just received this e-mail from liberal alliance alert (?) stating that the Genva Bible was the first Bible to have chapter and numbered verses. It also states that in 1611 King James thought the geneva bible threatened his authority and so he outlawed the geneva bible and ordered a new translation the kjv. How can any of this be when the Catholic bible was the first one, Right?

The Geneva Bible was not the first Bible in English but it did precede the Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible by several years. The Geneva Bible was published part-by-part between 1557 and 1560; the Douay-Rheims Bible was published part-by-part between 1582 and 1609.

The claim that it is the first Bible to have numbered verses is probably true because versification was only invented in 1551, and the Geneva Bible started being published only six years later.

There were complete English Bibles before the Geneva Bible, but they wouldn’t have had verses because versification hadn’t been invented yet. The Wycliffe Bible was published between 1382 and 1395 and is the oldest still-existing Bible in English. It’s not a Catholic Bible, though, because Wycliffe was a heretic.

The Catholic St. Thomas More was an Englishman who lived before the Geneva Bible was published, and he knew of several individuals with Catholic Bibles in English and spoke out openly for a new English translation. (Actually King Henry VIII, when he was still Catholic, was going to put up the funding for that project, but due to the Reformation it got tabled until King James I took it up over 70 years later. Thus the project to translate the KJV would have originally been a Catholic project, if the Reformation hadn’t happened and made the English kings Protestant.)

It does appear, from a Library of Congress article I found, that the Geneva Bible was the first to use verses.

Thanks for this information.

The only thing I know about Craig Cameron is that he is a very good horseman, and this comes from horselvr.

What is the connection, and what does it have to do with the Calvinist Geneva Bible?

andrewstx: I tried to pull up the e-mail I received so you could read it for yourself but as with most e-mails—I just delete after reading.

Supposedly Craig Cameron is pushing the Geneva bible and so it was basically an advertisement.

If he rides horses or not I wouldn’t know and what level of horsemanship he is able to boast about is of little importance to me. I don’t keep up with Craig Cameron as I have little in common with him.

He is protestant and I am Catholic to the bone. :thumbsup:

andrewstx: I tried to pull up the e-mail I received so you could read it for yourself but as with most e-mails—I just delete after reading.

Supposedly Craig Cameron is pushing the Geneva bible and so it was basically an advertisement.

If he rides horses or not I wouldn’t know and what level of horsemanship he is able to boast about is of little importance to me. I don’t keep up with Craig Cameron as I have little in common with him.

He is protestant and I am Catholic to the bone. :thumbsup:

I have a 1599 Geneva Bible, and I love it. The downside is, the study notes are very anti-catholic.

Actually, it’s “Kirk” Cameron: genevabible.com/index.php

Larry 1700: Bless you! I woke up this morning realizing now why Andrewstx said Craig Cameron is a very good horseman (because that’s the name I wrote). LOL IT is in fact Kirk Cameron. Thank you so much.

By the way as just a side note—personally I don’t feel that running a mare (or any horse for that matter) to the extent that she is heaving to get air and with sweat pouring off of her then throwing her to the ground using ropes and keeping her there is humane. That is not the first time I have seen him do this to a horse. So, I feel he is abusive to his horses. Not my idea of an “very good horseman”.

But it is Kirk Cameron that I mean to refer to.

Batman: My old large animal vet uses the Geneva bible and heads up a bible study group. He was talking about it one day and got a bit anti-Catholic. I now use a different vet.:thumbsup: So, I don’t doubt it has a tinge of anti Catholicism to it.

I have listened to Kirk Cameron a time or two and he is also a tad anti Catholic. Thanks to all.

He has a horse training and riding show on RFDTV. I’m not Protestant either.

Thanks, that explains all. :slight_smile:

Kirk Cameron has also made a lot of fundamentalist films, pushing the ‘rapture’ among other things.

I read the link and it is just an ad for expensive Calvinist bibles, IOW another profit seeking enterprise, :rolleyes:.

I think he should just go back to sitcoms.

Agreed!

Aww, but Kirk Cameron rapture films are some of the best comedies he’s done!

LOL batman–too funny and true!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.