Genses 15: 6--chashab

In Genesis 15: 6 chashab is used.

Does it mean counting in the sense of a measurement?

Example, I count my money or measure how much money I have?

THANKS!

Did God “measure” Abraham’s righteousness/

THANKS!

From BibleHub.com - so it is used in the sense of “accounting it” - it has to do with the action of the understanding that God had, where in God’s mind it would be something like this: “Abraham believed me, and that means to my way of thinking that he is good (which is righteousness)” God was equating the two in his thinking

way·yaḥ·šə·ḇe·hā — 3 Occurrences
Genesis 15:6
HEB: וְהֶאֱמִ֖ן בַּֽיהוָ֑ה וַיַּחְשְׁבֶ֥הָ לּ֖וֹ צְדָקָֽה׃
NAS: in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.
KJV: in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
INT: believed the LORD reckoned righteousness

Genesis 38:15
HEB: וַיִּרְאֶ֣הָ יְהוּדָ֔ה וַֽיַּחְשְׁבֶ֖הָ לְזוֹנָ֑ה כִּ֥י
NAS: saw her, he thought she [was] a harlot,
KJV: saw her, he thought her [to be] an harlot;
INT: saw Judah thought she a harlot for

1 Samuel 1:13
HEB: לֹ֣א יִשָּׁמֵ֑עַ וַיַּחְשְׁבֶ֥הָ עֵלִ֖י לְשִׁכֹּרָֽה׃
NAS: So Eli thought she was drunk.
KJV: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.
INT: was not heard thought Eli was drunk

I like your paraphrase or translation.

THANKS!

Any time, Jim,
Good to see you still working through all the implications of the “reckon” meaning - I find it fun to get all the depth I can out of a things like this. And it is really good when you have another text referenced (Genesis) to try and see what Paul saw in it that made him use it in Romans. Then there is James using it in his letter, seemingly differently.

I approach it from the up-front assertion that when I find the right answer, all the texts will be in agreement and will support the teaching of the Church, then keep looking until I find how that can be - I look until I find what they see that I haven’t been able to see yet, because I believe none of them will lead me astray, therefore there must be an answer I don’t yet perceive. And I look until I find it - and remarkably, I have always found it up to now.

Good hunting.

John:

Do you think it is accurate to say: “God measured Abraham and judged him righteous”?

I really believe this is what Moses and Paul are saying.

Also, I cannot recall perfectly what you have said in the past about Romans.

I believe Paul is saying that we can be truly good. Is that what you hear?

THANKS!

Paul is saying we can truly be good, but not with “measure” as a “quantity”, like a yard-stick. God “evaluates” us as either “one of my People” or “not one of my People”. He judged Abraham to be that. Being one of the People is “righteousness”.
Look at the neighborhood where you live. For example, I am in Minnesota. A “righteous Minnesotan” is “one of the Minnesotans”, meaning one living here as a Minnesotan lives, and not living as a non-Minnesotan might live.
A person robbing a convenience store is not living as a Minnesotan lives, but is living as a non-Minnesotan lives. This one is not a righteous (good) Minnesotan. And he is not justified in using the name “Minnesotan” in talking about himself (in the truest sense of the word), even though he was born her and lives here.

Paul is telling the Romans (Gentile converts) that they, like Abraham, have this Citizenship into being the People. God is “looking for those who will take him at his word”, as Jesus said to Satan, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” - taking God at his word. That is what Abraham did, and what the Romans did. They did not depend on being born into the people or changing stones to bread, but took Jesus at his word (in the Gospel announced to them).

Now they are the People (just as a Minnesotan is a Minnesotan), Not only that, but in making them “the People”, God put his Spirit into them so they now knew how to live out their new “being the People”, being good. He didn’t just consider them his People, but gave them goodness to use.

Thanks!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.