Genuflecting???

How do you genuflect?

I believe I have been doing this incorrectly for years.

1. I begin by making a three finger trinity with my right hand.
  2. I touch my forehead, and say “In the name of the Father”.
  3. Next, I touch my chest and say “and The Son”.
  4. And I conclude by touching the RIGHT shoulder first and then the LEFT shoulder and say " and The Holy Spirit".

Is this correct or doesn’t matter which shoulder you touch first?

A friend brought to my attention a few years ago; he said I was genuflecting the wrong way. I corrected the way I was taught but now I think my friend’s correction was wrong. I try to watch others at my parish but I am not sure they are genuflecting the orthoodx way. I was baptised Byzantine Catholic but I attend a Roman Rite Church does this make a difference?

I might be wrong, but I think the Eastern Rite churches do it your way, and the Latin rite ones cross forhead, chest, left shoulder, right shoulder.

[quote=George789]How do you genuflect?

I believe I have been doing this incorrectly for years.

1. I begin by making a three finger trinity with my right hand.
  2. I touch my forehead, and say “In the name of the Father”.
  3. Next, I touch my chest and say “and The Son”.
  4. And I conclude by touching the RIGHT shoulder first and then the LEFT shoulder and say " and The Holy Spirit".

Is this correct or doesn’t matter which shoulder you touch first?

A friend brought to my attention a few years ago; he said I was genuflecting the wrong way. I corrected the way I was taught but now I think my friend’s correction was wrong. I try to watch others at my parish but I am not sure they are genuflecting the orthoodx way. I was baptised Byzantine Catholic but I attend a Roman Rite Church does this make a difference?
[/quote]

You describe the Sign of the Cross. Genuflection is touching the right knee to the ground. For Latin Church Catholics it is The forehead, chest (heart), left shoulder, right shoulder. For Eastern Church Catholics it is the forehead, chest, right shoulder and then the left shoulder.

As mentioned, what you are describing is the Sign of The Cross… Genuflecting is bowing down on one knee…

Anyway, yes, Eastern Catholics (Byzantine included) and Eastern Orthodox do it right-left… Western Catholics (Roman) do it left-right.

As to whether it is the “wrong way” or not is obviously subjective. However, I figure “when in Rome…” :slight_smile:

-Michael

Genuflecting???

There is the sign of the cross and then there is Genuflecting.

**Genuflecting: Touching the right knee to the floor while making the sign of the cross. **

[quote=George789]1) I begin by making a three finger trinity with my right hand.
[/quote]

By making a what? Never heard of that.

The thumb with the first two fingers are joined at the tip, symbolizing the Blessed Trinity. The remaining two fingers are closed on the palm symbolic of the hypostatic union, i.e. that Jesus Christ is both God and man.

CHRIST IS RISEN!

INDEED HE IS RISEN!

And there is **NO GENUFLECTING **in a Byzantine church.

Also no kneeling from Paska (Easter) until Pentecost!:dancing:

In some parishes, there is no kneeling for Divine Liturgy at all:dancing:
CHRISTOS VOSKRES!
VO ISTINU VOSKRES!

[quote=Patchunky]CHRIST IS RISEN!

INDEED HE IS RISEN!

And there is **NO GENUFLECTING **in a Byzantine church.

Also no kneeling from Paska (Easter) until Pentecost!:dancing:

In some parishes, there is no kneeling for Divine Liturgy at all:dancing:
CHRISTOS VOSKRES!
VO ISTINU VOSKRES!
[/quote]

Even when visiting the Eastern church or Shrine I always genuflect. I supose it gives me away, however other things are more obvious then my reverence to the Blessed Sacrament.

Thanks for all the posts!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.