George Bush #41 funeral service

I have never heard the Creed recited in another denomination’s service? But during the funeral of George Bush #41 I heard them say the creed including we believe in the catholic church. My former co-worker who converted from Catholic to Methodist told me they recite the creed and say they believe in the catholic church. I know they don’t believe in the Roman Catholic Church but they believe in the catholic church as universal. Also saw the female Episcopalian bishop pray at the service. Interesting to see how others “do things”. But I’ll NEVER leave my One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.

I noticed the female minister “quoted” Jesus, saying “I am resurrection and I am life”, rather than the correct “I am THE resurrection and THE life.” Sounds like semi-heretical weasel words to me. She made it sound like there are other deities who are also “resurrection and life” not just Jesus.

I was a Methodist for a while as a child and I do remember them reciting the creed, but any idea of unity ends there.
I have other memories of those times too. The first one being grape juice at their version of communion, and I also remember being told all kinds of things about Catholics at Sunday school. Things like we worship stones, burn bibles, etc etc etc.
The biggest memory though was the day we got kicked out because my mom was divorced.

My co worker who converted from Catholic to Methodist didn’t have an answer for me when I asked her this about their communion: "If you honestly believe it is Jesus then why do you only receive one day a month or so and not every day? I reminded her that in Our Catholic Church BECAUSE IT IS JESUS Body Blood Soul Divinity He is offered in the Catholic Church each and every day of the year. PLUS He remains in the Catholic Church every day. Although there is no Mass or Consecration on Good Friday. She didn’t know what to say.

I read up on the Episcopal Church today while watching the funeral. It seemed to have much in common with the Roman Catholic Church. What I read said they believe in real presence, but don’t go so far as to say how it happens. Also, it is the basically the same as the Anglican Church, but in the U.S. They do not recognize the Pope as the authority of the Church. I was very impressed with the homily.

We often recited the Creed at my former Baptist Church. Catholic mean universal church (all believers) and communion of the saints meant after our death.

In the Episcopal church we said both the
Apostle’s and Nicene Creeds. I was raised in the Episcopal church and found it confusing to say “I believe in the catholic church”. I would ask myself why we weren’t Catholic then.
The Episcopal church originally was the Church of England, but during the revolutionary war, they no longer wanted to go by that name so the Episcopal church was formed.
Their Sunday Holy Communion service is very similar to the Catholic Mass. I was never taught anything about our communion being the Real Presence.
The Episcopal church was once a great church until the liberals began taking control of the church. Many conservative
Episcopalians in the last 20-25 years left the Episcopal church and formed Anglican
churches.
They definitely do not recognize the Pope as the authority of the church as they began as the Church of England which was started by Henry VIII after the Pope refused to grant him an annulment so he
could marry Anne Boleyn.

Thanks for sharing. We had a Baptist pastor who was former Catholic. He would always explain the difference between the catholic church and the Catholic Church whenever we recited the Creed.

In the Episcopal Church, the Apostles Creed is normally said during Morning Prayer (a non-Eucharistic service that is derived from Matins) that used to be the standard Sunday service in the Anglican world. Now nearly all churches celebrate Holy Communion every Sunday, so the Apostles Creed is less said than before. The Nicene Creed is standard at Sunday celebrations of Holy Communion. I know it by heart, but I am somewhat pressed to remember the Apostles Creed, since it is not in frequent use in my parish. I, along with some other respondents, was raised Methodist, and the Methodists also recite, from time to time, the Apostles Creed, but not frequently.

The recitation of the creed is by no means a modern innovation. Both creeds are in the 1549 Book of Common Prayer. One point to remember is that several of the versions of the creed do not say the “Holy Catholic Church”. The older form used in my parish reads “And I believe one Catholic and Apostolic Church”. Note, capital “C” and capital “A”.

Today’s service was very well executed

I noticed that when the presider said, “The Lord be with you,” the congregation responded, “And also with you,” like we Catholics used to do. I was thinking to myself, “And with your spirit,” as I followed along.

We have some Anglicans on here who often post in the Non-Catholic Religions forum who would differ with this and say there are many, many different types of Anglican and Episcopal churches out there - we’ve been over this discussion before. It seems like there’s currently internal dissension in their church on a lot of things. In my hometown in the US, there is a long-established American Episcopal church, but within the last few years a minister has started a new “Anglican” church which is different and is not even sharing the Episcopal Church’s large building but instead is renting/ sharing a church with the local Lutherans.

Also, be careful about saying the Anglicans/ Episcopals have a lot in common with the Catholics. While the forms of worship look similar, the Episcopal churches in US seem in many places to be embracing female clergy and openly gay clergy (as in married to a partner, or saying they left the Catholic Church because they are gay). In the city where I was born, the local Episcopal leader is or was (don’t know if she’s still there) a married lesbian who celebrated the opening of an abortion clinic. Also if you say the Anglicans/ Episcopals are like the Catholics around certain groups of Irish-American people, you will get a big backlash because many of those Irish folks’ forebears were part of a large diaspora due to being basically persecuted by the Church of England back in Ireland or England.

Yeah, that seems to be what’s going on with my hometown having both an “Episcopal” and an “Anglican” church.

Other than the liturgical form of their Holy
Communion and their calendar year the
Episcopal church and Anglican churches are both still protestant. The Anglican churches, however, tend to be.more conservative and the Episcopal church has become very liberal. There are many
differences between the Catholics and Episcopalians. There are many Catholics who would like the Catholic church to be as liberal as the Episcopal church, unfortunately. It was painful to watch the
“schism” within the Episcopal church and I think it has happened in many mainline
protestant denominations because they have no central authority.
I don’t ever want to see in the Catholic church what happened in the Episcopal
church.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.