George Harrison

Though George was no longer a practicing Catholic, he did not denounce it either. He also didn’t keave the Catholic church for an equally well defined and dogmatic theology. He became a Hindu, which is a much more open theology that embraces most aspects of our faith and venerates Jesus.

Was he going to lead an RCIA meeting? No. But did he still love God and venerate Christ. He even had a statue of the Blessed Virgin in his home, so he still held many aspects of his original faith dear to him.

I find it interesting that many who “leave” the church still hunger for a kind of rigor and depth in their faith life. It’s not like Harrison just checked out. He was actively singing for people to embrace God. Who else of his stature was doing that?

Harrison’s music was there for me at a bad time in my life and will be forever grateful to him for that. May perpetual light shine upon him…and I bet it will.

I´m a huge George fan from way back and although he never denounced Catholicism he put out a song critical of the Vatican Bank and practice of tithing money to the church.

The song is called P2 Vatican Blues…

You can watch-listen to it below.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Fk6OA7bc_I

Oh and I almost forgot… There will be a documentary on the life of George by Martin Scorsese that will air October 5 and 6 on HBO called ¨Living in the Material World¨. Don´t miss it!

God bless

Yeah, I have the album. I think some aspects of the institution could use some criticizing so I don’t think it has any bearing on the spiritual message he conveyed or his own personal spirituality.

I am going to the screening on 10/4 in NYC. Can’t wait.

Love Harrison and the Beatles. Geniuses.

While my Guitar Gently Weeps…wow. I remember listening to that as a kid on one of my dad’s albums. Amazing.

I saw the film on George Harrison´s life titled ¨Living in the Material World¨ and was greatly disappointed by it. If you don´t want to know any of the spoiler´s in the movie then don´t read the following review below:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
The film’s focus was mainly on George’s career as a Beatles…The first part of the movie and continuing onto about 15 minutes into the second part of the film was about his time in the Beatles. What I didn’t like about the movie was how it jumped back and forth during different periods in George’s life with no rhyme or reason. It’s almost as if the film assumes you already know when the events took place (which I did).

The only album that gets featured in the film is All Things Must Pass with alittle mention of his Living in the Material World album here and there. Then they show some footage of the Concert for Bangladesh without really explaining how it was put together you just see George singing with the title Concert for Bangladesh below. The film continues on to his Dark Horse tour and doesn’t even bother to go into the details of the songs from that album.

It then gets into his period of film-making with the Life Of Bryan and Time Bandits…ok… but still no in-depth details as to the albums he made in the late 70’s and early 80’s. The film then gets into his Traveling Wilbury’s period and only talks about ONE SONG. Argh.

The film then jumps to when George was first diagnosed with Cancer and how he beat the Cancer and then gets into when he was attacked by a deranged man who stabbed him several times. You then have his wife Olivia speaking of how after the attack when George was well enough how he went to Fiji.

Then the inevitable is spoken about…his death, which Olivia spoke about with great tenderness.

The film had some major GAPS in that it spoke nothing of his other albums or his big comeback album Cloud 9. We get nothing into the process George went through in writing his songs or how his solo albums got put together. NOTHING. The film feels as if they put a rush job to get it out. Then you get the slap in the face in the ending credits when they list all of the songs that he wrote and it makes you think "Why the heck didn’t they put this in the movie? What were they thinking?

The movie is a serious let down to George fans and I will not be buying the DVD when it comes out, even if it has extra features.

That’s my review and I’m sticking to it!

God bless

I was there when the Beatles hit America. At first, the songs were about love and fun and enjoying life. Then religious and political elements began to creep in with John Lennon and George Harrison in particular. When the band broke up and tried to do things as individuals, I felt the work was mediocre at best. I tried to like Wings but nope, nothing really special there. All Things Must Pass? Nope. A bit of a downer. Imagine by John Lennon? The Plastic Ono Band? My memories of the Beatles reside mostly with their earlier work and only some of their later work.

Peace,
Ed

George held a very shallow and knee jerk anti clerical view of the RC Faith. It was very bitter and his understanding of Catholicism was incredibly shallow. Unfortunately like millions caught up in celebrity culture and materialism, George chose the path of least resistance and the cheap grace of syncretism and indifferent spiritualty On the other hand he had some street smarts and did realize the absurdity of being a Beatle. I believe he had some core of belief in something outside of matter. At the time of his moving towards Hinduism in 1967 he wrote a touching, if wrongheaded letter to his pious Irish Catholic mom. He tried to reassure her that he had not abandoned devotion to the Sacred Heart by embracing Hinduism, but was trying to move towards a deeper understanding. This deeper understanding never came to George, at least publicly, as evinced by one his last songs, still a bitter ex Catholic, the song is called P2 Vatican Blues.

Nice guy and all. . . but his ideas were whack-o-rama!

I think in 2015 we really CAN say this New Agey stuff is Goofiness On Stilts.

George was my favorite Beatle. he didn’t seem to have the big ego like Paul and Ringo. he didn’t seem to crave the publicity as much.

I was like 11 or 12 when the Beatles came to America. I remember it well and how famous they became. then they got weird. I really never followed everything they were doing.

I had forgotten George was stabbed. did he eventually die from cancer?

Yes, he did. In 2001

I remembered he had passed, but I didn’t know if the cancer had returned or if it was because of complications from being stabbed.

How interesting that this thread has resurfaced after a few years.

I think anyone exposed to the Catholic faith and its rituals will retain a fundamental understanding of God, the Trinity, Jesus, Divinity, the Gospels, and basic things like simple prayers, and concepts such as love thy neighbor.

George and the other Beatles were swept into fame and fortune through incredible talent and popularity. The Fab 4 were extremely gifted - clearly head and shoulders above all rock and roll bands before, during, or since that time.

George, and in fact each one of them - alone, and individually, never could have attained the success they found as a group. It was magic. It was in the stars. There will never be another group like that. They changed music, and the world, as they influenced the fabric of the entire Baby Boomer generation. Through simple songs, melody, and social commentary. A lot of it was shallow, but they enjoyed poking fun at the media circus.

Of the four, Paul was probably the most gifted. It is said that he once took his guitar to school, when he was in the 10th grade (sophomore in high school). He started playing in the school yard at lunch time. Within a few minutes the entire student body formed a wide circle around him - 7 or 10 deep, as he played a few tunes. They were spellbound. He was a natural.

They were all human. As we all are. But they gave the world something enduring… the sound of music. Not all of their recordings were #1 hits. But many, many songs were.

Their talent came from God. No question. There was, and is more to the Beatles story than a few albums of popular songs. They were so good that people LOVED them. Their best recordings were Love songs. God is love. Their songs were about Peace. Those were central themes. If you detach from the persons, and recognize the love that was there, you will realize that love endures…even though the persons are gone. Their music is a constant reminder about Love.

Yes, they were a bit into drugs, etc. But that came with the territory. The work they did and the songs they recorded are enduring, and will be thoroughly enjoyed by many generations to come. I don’t worship them, but I certainly appreciate the songs and the emotions of that era.

George was quiet, and deep. He had a strong sense of spirituality, although it did not manifest in the Catholic faith. Never-the-less, it was meaningful. Nobody in the Boomer generation can say they don’t believe in God as they listen to My Sweet Lord.

George did not like the media culture. Who could blame him? I think George, and the other Beatles were driven apart by the fame and media surge. It’s too bad John was killed. If not, surely they would have come together for a second run. That would have featured the best songs by each one of them…and together.

I make no judgments about their faith, or lack of it, or involvement with Western religion / spirituality. They were seekers, as so many souls are.

But I am also glad the Catholic faith endures, and its many rituals are retained. Our time here is limited. So it is wonderful that we have a religion that has endured over the centuries, as cultures and governments have come and gone. There is so much treasure in the long history of the Church and the saints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.