George Lucas has changed Star Wars again for the blu-ray release

Well, I'm disappointed. I've heard that George Lucas has once again changed the entire Star Wars franchise for the blu-ray release. I wish he would leave the original trilogy the way it initially was. I understand a few changes to the prequels though, such as removing Jar Jar Binks (which didn't happen)

What do you think? Is change good, or just give us what we all loved as kids?

I considered making this the purchase that got me to get a Blu-ray player, but then I read about and saw some of the changes. Making Ewoks blink is one thing, but having Darth Vader give out a cheesy, "No.....no.....NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" when he kills the Emperor is another. Plus, Greedo still shoots first. George Lucas either harbors some bizarre hatred for the fans, or just gets dumber and dumber as he gets older.

i looove jar jar binks now im upset they can change the star wars we have all have loved lol were all nerds but its ok :thumbsup:

As a long time SW fan, I don't like the needless tinkering of the original trilogy. I really wish the blu-ray release would include the original theatrical versions where the only editing was cleaning up the picture and sound. I think that would be very popular since Lucas could make any edits he wants but the die-hard fans would have the original version as they remember it.

Ultimately, they're Lucas' movies so he can do whatever he wants to them. I'll just hold on to my theater cuts which are dvd copies from laser disc.

Star Wars delenda est.

Oy! :eek:

Well, for me nothing will top the pointless, annoying addition of Hayden Christiansen as Anakin in the original trilogy.

Hey, maybe someday we'll get a Return of the Jedi on Kashykk rather than on Endor! :)

[quote="Gordon_Sims, post:2, topic:255608"]
Plus, Greedo still shoots first. George Lucas either harbors some bizarre hatred for the fans, or just gets dumber and dumber as he gets older.

[/quote]

To be fair to Lucas, I've heard that the reason he did that was to preserve a PG rating -- apparently when he resubmitted A New Hope to the MPAA for the Special Edition, they said that they were going to up the rating to PG-13 if Han shot first, for some reason (I'm guessing the difference between premeditated murder and self defense or some such).

That being said, Han Shot First, IMNSHO.:D

Out of curiosity, how could they have removed Jar Jar Binks?

Just digitally removed him, and replaced with a different, less annoying digital creature with a different, less annoying voice?

It's a bit late to completely rewrite the plot and re-film the other actors' scenes. In other words, completely re-do the movie in a completely Jar-Jarless way.

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:1, topic:255608"]
I understand a few changes to the prequels though, such as ...

[/quote]

buying back every single existing copy, anywhere in the world, and destroying them. Then pretending they never, ever, happened...

BTW. Han shot first.

We've got the VHS re-release of the original trilogy (expanded, remastered). Eventually (read: when I have the time and the inclination at the same moment) I will burn those to DVD. Not going to get a Blu-Ray until nobody is making DVDs any more.

I wanted to buy this release just for the extra features (making of programs for Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, etc) and a few of the deleted scenes (the Luke igniting his lightsaber for the first time before he places it inside Artoo Detoo's dome is one I want to see).

They are George Lucas' movies, but he keeps changing them...and not for the better. I HATED the change to Hayden Christensen in the 2004 dvd release. I bought the limited edition dvd release WITH Sebastian Shaw just for this reason. Lucas' explanation was a slap in the face to Mr Shaw, who passed away in the 1990s.

I am a HUGE star wars fan (have loved it since I was 7). I wasn't born when the original movie came out. The first time I saw the movies in the theater was the Special Editions of Star Wars and Empire in 1997 when I was 18. (didn't make it to the theater to see Jedi). I double and triple dip on releases.....I watch the movies as often as possible on dvd (original unaltered versions...I own ANH and ROTJ on the limited edition release dvds.)

But I don't know if I'll buy the blu rays...I don't want Episode 1, 2 and 3....but I can't get the COOL special features w/o buying the complete saga set.

Sorry to all the die-hard Star Wars fans out there, but I really don't give a rats who shoots who first.

The only change I was really POd about was in Return of the Jedi when they got rid of the cutesy-corny 'Yub Nub' Ewok song at the end and put some bit of totally blah whatever in its place.

[quote="styrgwillidar, post:9, topic:255608"]
buying back every single existing copy, anywhere in the world, and destroying them. Then pretending they never, ever, happened...

BTW. Han shot first.

[/quote]

Only Han got a shot off. And we loved him for that.

No, I've got the copies that have the original trilogy as it was originally (and the Ewok song and none of that 'let's revisit everywhere else because the news spread faster than the speed of light' garbage, and Mr. Shaw as Anakin-redeemed, etc.

I've read a lot of fanfic that had a better take on Episodes I-III than the actual movies.

[quote="Melissa, post:13, topic:255608"]
Only Han got a shot off. And we loved him for that.

[/quote]

I don't know if everybody loved him, but it set up his character as a ruthless survivor, with no hesitation or reservations about shooting his way out of a tight spot.

Don't own any of the movies, don't think I ever will.

[quote="PrayHarder, post:4, topic:255608"]
As a long time SW fan, I don't like the needless tinkering of the original trilogy. I really wish the blu-ray release would include the original theatrical versions where the only editing was cleaning up the picture and sound. I think that would be very popular since Lucas could make any edits he wants but the die-hard fans would have the original version as they remember it.

[/quote]

Totally agree

I guess maybe I'm just more of a fly-by-night SW fan, but I don't really mind the tinkering and I like the prequels. :p

Didn't they eventually release the original theatrical versions on DVD (with one disc as the original and another disc as the "updated" version)? I'm sure Lucas will do the same thing with the BluRay eventually.

I read somewhere that on the blu-ray release he’s adding some Gungans (including Jar Jar) to a scene in The Empire Strikes Back. :frowning:

^ - ok, that was just cruel. I was just kidding about the comment above.

I too hate seeing Lucas mess around with stuff. It's like colorizing the old black and white t.v./movies. It's almost like re-writing history. Why can't you leave well enough alone? Unless he thinks that there is new money generated?

Oh well.

[quote="Dandelion_Wine, post:18, topic:255608"]
^ - ok, that was just cruel. I was just kidding about the comment above.

I too hate seeing Lucas mess around with stuff. It's like colorizing the old black and white t.v./movies. It's almost like re-writing history. Why can't you leave well enough alone? Unless he thinks that there is new money generated?

Oh well.

[/quote]

:D For a second, I thought you were serious about the Gungans. It makes me want to start a joke thread on changes in the new BluRay presentations whereby we can all brainstorm to come up with changes we would definitely not want to see. (James Earl Jones has been replaced by Chris Rock as the voice of Darth Vader!?!? :p)

To be fair to Lucas, I can understand from an artist's perspective why tinkering would be tempting. It can be very hard to let go and let the final product stand on its own. There is always something you feel you could improve through subsequent revision. Thinking of all the advances in special effects since 1977, I can understand why Lucas would be tempted to revisit scenes he wasn't 100% happy with due to limitations of filmography at the time.

I admit that some of the changes do make me scratch my head and wonder what he was thinking, though.

[quote="Dandelion_Wine, post:17, topic:255608"]
I read somewhere that on the blu-ray release he's adding some Gungans (including Jar Jar) to a scene in The Empire Strikes Back. :(

[/quote]

So they are adding a torture scene then to stress how evil the Empire was at it's height? :)

Personally I find the idea of Vader screaming 'nooooooo' in the sequence mentioned really annoying. It robs the moment of much of the power it has with Vader watching and considering silently until he finally makes a decision. Han most definitely should be portrayed as shooting first, he has heroic qualities but he is as another poster pointed out ruthless when placed in a tight corner. He is the Batman to Luke's Superman in the Star Wars universe to draw a very rough analogy. Although it's very rouch as Batman wouldn't kill of course. But Han is like that character more inclined to use darker means to reach his goals and to use manipulation or walk around and ignore laws (or use them to his advantage) that get in his way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.