George Lucas has changed Star Wars again for the blu-ray release

The original 3 films were great. Everything since thing has been either average or terrible (including all the alterations to the original films). This is, I think, the second time Lucas is reediting those three? Terrible.

I hated Jar Jar Binks or whatever he was called. All the prequels were bad. The original Star Wars was the best Empire Strikes back was kind of ok Return of the Jedi just got hokey. Few scifi series hold their quality over sequels. Star Trek should have quit after the first mistake. The Matrix was wonderful the sequels were just bad. Spiderman is the only series I can think of that held their quality. The Harry Potter films were kind of on and off but the last one was great. I'm still holding out out hope for the Latest Underworld Awakening. Don't even ask me about Twilight....:rolleyes::dts::takethat:

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:22, topic:255608"]
Don't even ask me about Twilight....:rolleyes::dts::takethat:

[/quote]

I can't resist to post this classic:
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/435/vampire1r.jpg

Nec5,

This demotivational poster never gets old!

Thanks for the laugh.

Cara

[quote="Nec5, post:23, topic:255608"]
I can't resist to post this classic:

[/quote]

Awesome. :D

Okay. I had to weigh in on this important topic.

First of, I hate the added scene in New Hope where jabba the hut talks to Solo. It totally removes the sense of urgency for Han to be leaving the planet. In the original, he had just shot Greedo, so understandably, was in a bit of a hurry. If he had been caught by Jabba, he'd have been sleeping with the fishes, or whatever they do in Mos Eisley. Now it just looks like Luke and Obi wan are in a hurry.

I agree that Han shot first. I interpreted that like all the cowboy movies, however. The villain draws first, but the good guy is a faster shot. Greedo already had his weapon out, and he was fixing to shoot (that's Solo's story, and he's stickin' to it).

Contrary to some posters above, I think Empire is the best of the series - possibly one of the best sci-fi movies ever. My kids hate to hear it, but I quote Yoda all the time: "Do, or do not. There is no "try"."

Jar-jar is awful. Me-sa no likin' de jar-jar jabber-talk. How'd that nonsense ever get past the censors?

What I find interesting about it all is that Lucas was able to create a great work of art, but really doesn't appear to understand what made it good, or exactly what people liked about it. I have a theory on why the original stories were so powerful, but that probably belongs in a different thread.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

It could have been worse. He could have replaced all the light sabers and laser guns, with walkie talkies.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:16, topic:255608"]
I guess maybe I'm just more of a fly-by-night SW fan, but I don't really mind the tinkering and I like the prequels. :p

Didn't they eventually release the original theatrical versions on DVD (with one disc as the original and another disc as the "updated" version)? I'm sure Lucas will do the same thing with the BluRay eventually.

[/quote]

Yes, but I didn't get it because I didn't want to spend good money on something I already had. If Lucasfilm had released a set of just the theatricals, I'd buy it. But I already have the modified versions.

It's bad enough when Lucas just doesn't do something right the first time and decides to go back and fix it, like adding more sparks to Jango Fett's suit so it's clear his jetpack doesn't fire, hence the Mace Windu haircut.

But to insert whole scenes that change the plot? No. There shall be no way-too-small Jabba the Hutt in my Star Wars! (Wait, yes there shall, 'cuz I only have the revised editions. I don't have to like it, though.)

[quote="JHow, post:26, topic:255608"]
What I find interesting about it all is that Lucas was able to create a great work of art, but really doesn't appear to understand what made it good, or exactly what people liked about it. I have a theory on why the original stories were so powerful, but that probably belongs in a different thread.

[/quote]

I think he lost sight of it and stopped caring when it started becoming all about him.

The second movie, the Empire Strikes Back, was directed by someone other than George Lucas. I forget his name, but he was a part of the DVD commentary, so I remember his voice. I clearly remember him saying that Lucas refused to go to the premiere, telling the director "it's your movie."

In the DVD extras for episodes 2 and 3, you get clear evidence of how much George Lucas micro-managed the living daylights out of everything. In the commentaries for the original trilogy, you can hear how all the changes were made to make things more consistent with his "vision."

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

[/quote]

Because deviantArt didn't exist back then. ;)

I actually liked Jar-Jar. He was still annoying, though. :shrug:

Irvin Kershner is who directed ESB. He died a year or so ago, so the interview that includes him was probably recorded before he died, obviously.

Jabba the Hutt was actually originally going to be a human. That's why Han in the original Special Edition says Jabba, you're a wonderful human being.

Here's the original HUMAN Jabba

youtube.com/watch?v=3642rswxQsw

in the SE where Han walks around and "Steps" on Jabba's tail...well, as you can see...the original Jabba was played by a human actor...

The blu rays are released Friday and I am still not sure if I'll get them....I want the special features.....I don't want the prequels....And Lucas deliberately made the scenes with padme's family deleted scenes, forgetting they showed another side of Padme in AOTC. It made no sense to delete them, especially when you see the family in the funeral scene...and unless you had seen the deleted scenes it would take a few minutes to register that those are her mother, father, sister and nieces.

[/quote]

I think Lucas is one of those people who can come up with great ideas, but doesn't know how to follow through and turn those ideas into a great finished product. He didn't have complete control over the first three, so others had a big influence on how the final product turned out. They took his great ideas and made them into something even better.

With the prequels, he had complete control, so he got to do things his way, and the world suffered for it. The same thing with the special editions. He got to go back and fix all those silly things the other people "did wrong." Every time he revisits them, he finds more things that, in his mind, need fixing. The big problem is that the general understanding of what makes something good or great doesn't seem to exist in his mind, so we end up with stuff like that final scene of Vaderstein (Frankenvader?) in E3, Luke screaming as he falls in Bespin, and everything else that made the prequels so awful and the special editions so not-so-special.

That being said, I would love, at some point, to see someone (hopefully other than Lucas) go back and take every cut scene we've ever heard of and incorporate them back into the movies, making an ultra-super-special edition. The only caveat is that I'd also want them taking out all the horrible changes Lucas made.

Though the changes are appalling and in typical Lucas fashion, I must say, Star Wars comes even more alive on Blu ray.

Huh. I did not know that about Jabba originally being human. Sure explains why he's so much smaller in A New Hope than Return of the Jedi. Thanks, Jediliz.

The best thing for Lucas to do would be what Disney is doing with their DVD releases: Include both the latest, "greatest" version and the original theatrical release on one disc. I doubt Lucas' ego would let that happen, though. I wonder if the poor guy really thinks he's doing everyone a favor by making all these changes.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:19, topic:255608"]

To be fair to Lucas, I can understand from an artist's perspective why tinkering would be tempting. It can be very hard to let go and let the final product stand on its own. There is always something you feel you could improve through subsequent revision.

[/quote]

To be even fairer: even JRR Tolkein did this -- changing bits of The Hobbit between the 1939 original and a 1950's reissue after the publishing of Lord of the Rings. He removed tomatoes from the meal that Bilbo served the dwarves when it was pointed out that tomatoes weren't native to medieval Europe (though he kept the potatoes in -- go figure :shrug:) and rewrote somewhat the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum to better match up with the account given in Lord of the Rings.

Here’s one of the edits :smiley:

[quote="Nec5, post:34, topic:255608"]
Here's one of the edits :D
http://i.imgur.com/xWweh.gif

[/quote]

:rotfl:

Love it Nec5!!

I have never heard that the movie would have been given a PG-13 rating for the Special Editions and that is why Han did not shoot first. But that still does not explain how Han and Luke basically kill thousands and thousands of troopers onboard the death star and many others during the course of their journeys...

I know, I know, the Empire was coming to kill them and it's war. BUT, the scene that strikes me as the worst for our heroes occurs when Han and Luke sneak out of the Falcon once they are brought onboard the Death Star in ANH...when that guy goes to open the door and Chewie takes him out, Han is the "trooper" who blasts the couple of other workers in the room. Not sure if you noticed that edit, but in later releases, they quickly cut the shot where the fire burns into the man's chest after receiving the blaster fire from Han! Han is a mean dude and Lucas has definitely taken him down a notch by trying to make him 'better' than he really was..of course, that destroys his come-around attitude we eventually see later on..

I will definitely buy the blu-ray set when I get the funds...

[quote="Nec5, post:34, topic:255608"]
Here's one of the edits :D
http://i.imgur.com/xWweh.gif

[/quote]

Nice! The planet shot first!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.