George W Bush meets Pope amid claims he might convert to Catholicism

George W Bush and Pope Benedict XVI have held an intimate meeting in Rome as rumours mounted in Italy that the president may follow in Tony Blair’s footsteps and convert to Catholicism.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2122733/George-W-Bush-meets-Pope-amid-claims-he-might-convert-to-Catholicism.html

WOW! First Tony Blair and then George Bush?

Another interesting quote from the article:

He added that while the Holy See deplored the war in Iraq, “on ethical matters he has always had a line that is practically identical to that of the Vatican.” Mr Bush has spoken out against gay marriage, abortion and stem cell research. He proposed amending the US constitution to “fully protect marriage” as the “union of man and woman as husband and wife”.

Did you see the gifts he got???

After their private meeting ended, Bush and Benedict posed for official photographs and exchanged gifts.

The president gave the pontiff a photograph of the two walking along the White House colonnade on their way to the Oval Office in April. The picture was presented in a sterling silver frame with an engraved presidential seal.

Benedict gave Bush a framed photograph and four volumes on St. Peter’s Basilica.

“Perhaps you’ll have some time to read it,” he told Bush, whose presidency ends in January.

Members of the presidential entourage received rosaries and medals of the pontificate.

chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5834982.html

I would love to welcome him to the Church Family along with any body else. I didn’t original believe that he might convert but they had Blair pegged for a few years and he converted and Jeb is already catholic…

I wonder how that fits with this older article, regarding Pope John Paul II’s feelings?

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0MKY/is_9_27/ai_108881880

First attempt to hijack the thread duly noted.

Well since i don’t see any direct quotes or heck any officals name except the reporter i have a hard time believing that the pope said or believed what the reporter wrote. And i haven’t seen anywhere were the pope ALWAYS believed that we were at the end times???

WASHINGTON DC – According to freelance journalist Wayne Madsden, “George W Bush’s blood lust, his repeated commitment to Christian beliefs and his constant references to ‘evil doers,’ in the eyes of many devout Catholic leaders, bear all the hallmarks of the one warned about in the Book of Revelations–the anti-Christ.”

Madsen, a Washington-based writer and columnist, who often writes for Counterpunch, says that people close to the pope claim that amid these concerns, the pontiff wishes he was younger and in better health to confront the possibility that Bush may represent the person prophesized in Revelations. John Paul II has always believed the world was on the precipice of the final confrontation between Good and Evil as foretold in the New Testament.

Let’s tread very carefully on this thread. We’re not supposed to discuss the possible conversions of any public officials, if I recall correctly.

When I saw an earlier thread on this topic I turned to my wife and said, jokingly,

Hey honey: it looks as if the Pope might convert to Catholicism”.

My wife prides herself on being studiously ignorant of all manner of public affairs. In any case she was avidly engrossed in playing some sort of electronic game that involves not being eaten by spiders.

Her response to my tongue-in-cheek comment: “I don’t care”.

Trying to get her to react and play along, I said:

“I wonder what he was before?”

Her response: “I don’t know and I don’t care. #@!%^!!! I just got eaten by a spider!!!”

I still don’t know if her answer was serious or not.

I actually found this article to be beautiful.

Pray for him.

Isn’t speculation like this against forum rules? I know when there was Speculation about Tony Blair, threads were closed rather quickly.

Go Bush!

Banned topic. Thread closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.