Georgetown University - Is it any good?

Hi everybody. A friend of mine is considering Georgetown University but he doesn’t know if it is a good college or not. Is it a faithful Catholic college? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Well, they invited Obama to speak there, and if that wasn’t bad enough, they covered up all religious symbols and signage at Obama’s request.

Obama Nixes ‘Jesus’ at Georgetown

I’m in D.C. myself right now, and I’d say by talking to people in this area that Georgetown’s Catholicity is perhaps the best kept secret of the D.C. area. But perhaps someone who attends Georgetown would have a better perception than myself.

I could very well be wrong, but I don’t think they asked him to speak there.

Hmmm, doesn’t seem like a very good university according to your reviews, everyone. I will show this thread to my friend the next time I see him.

Wait a minute. Let’s get fair here. Truth is truth no matter how you cut it. The question is whether or not Georgetown University is a good school. The answer to that question is, yes. It’s an excellent university.

If you’re asking whether it’s an orthodox university, then the answer to that is that it has its problems. The academic program and the university’s orthodoxy are not the same question. It all depends on what your friend is going to study there. If they are going to study theology, it’s a contraversial school. If you’re going for other acedemic subjects, especially political science and medicine, it’s very good.

There is also a strong pastoral ministry on campus of which students can avail themselves, not to mention that its proximity to Catholic University, the John Paul Center, the USCCB, the Franciscan Monastery, the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and other important Catholic centers makes it a good place to be, because you have access to a great deal of Catholic culture and resources.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

Holly did ask if it was a faithful Catholic college. I am of the opinion that it’s better to send your child to a secular state school than to a school such as Notre Dame or Georgetown. At least the secular schools are honest about not being Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.