Georgia Man Who Won $3M Lottery Pleads Guilty to Funding Crystal Meth Ring

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-man-who-won-3m-lottery-pleads-guilty-funding-crystal-n617776

In what may be a new record for stupidity, a $3 million lottery winner from Georgia faces possible life in prison for investing his windfall in a meth ring.

We need to bring back some of those old public service announcements featuring, “your brain on drugs.”

Or perhaps we ought the get rid of our drug laws.

:shrug::confused:

Or perhaps we ought the get rid of our drug laws.

:confused::eek::banghead:

Had he simply invested that at a modest 3.5% return he would have earned $105,000 year for life. People that get large sums without having earned it are often very stupid with it. Many and maybe most big lottery winners are broke in 5 years, I have read somewhere.

What everyone else said…I’ll go along with you if druggies DON’T get any public funded medical coverage for their self inflicted ‘disease!’ - I know it’s unpopular, even a little unchristian here, but to parphrase Ben Franklin, “You won’t eliminate drug addiction until you make it uncomfortable to be an addict.”

Keep your sensibility out of this! :stuck_out_tongue:

:thumbsup:

I agree, especially when you consider the reasons why the drug laws were initially put into law and enforced, nowadays though, its just gotten out of hand, police are basically spinning their wheels and the big pharma companies are the ones likely encouraging this ‘war’ to continue.

We have a heroin epidemic around here and all the talks and suggestions Ive seen from police is just more of the same, tough new laws, keep arresting and imprisoning, but they are too blind to see this has never worked, the only thing is does is guarantee their job security for decades to come imo, oh yea and increased budgets year after year for them too! LOL

Don’t forget the opportunities to take peoples property under civil asset forfeiture laws.

armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/north_america/americas-current-economy/police-civil-asset-forfeitures-exceed-all-burglaries-in-2014/

Between 1989 and 2010, U.S. attorneys seized an estimated $12.6 billion in asset forfeiture cases. The growth rate during that time averaged +19.4% annually. In 2010 alone, the value of assets seized grew by +52.8% from 2009 and was six times greater than the total for 1989. Then by 2014, that number had ballooned to roughly $4.5 billion for the year, making this 35% of the entire number of assets collected from 1989 to 2010 in a single year. According to the FBI, the total amount of goods stolen by criminals in 2014 burglary offenses suffered an estimated $3.9 billion in property losses. This means that the police are now taking more assets than the criminals.

Your stuff is safer with burglars than police officers. :ouch:

I used to think that way, but the truth is legalizing drugs doesn’t get rid of the problem. My stepdad is a recovering meth addict, you won’t see him campaigning to legalise drugs anytime soon

Yet the drugs criminality didn’t stop him from becoming a meth addict in the first place.

What an unfortunate post.

BTW the Holy Father recently visited a drug and alcohol treatment center in Italy- going as far as reciting the “Serenity Prayer,” with the clients there.

Pope Francis has also come out against making recreational drugs legal.

cnn.com/2014/06/20/justice/pope-francis-legalized-drugs/index.html

I personally want addicts to get treatment to end their addiction, but also to pay for the cost of their choice. If the young person who does things the right way has to pay tens of thousands for college tuition, it seems only fair for the criminal addict to pay for the cost of treatment, even if it takes many years and requires them to live a lower standard of living while they pay off their debts.

This is nothing new. Steps 8 and 9 for Alcoholics Anonymous are:

1. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  2. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Absolutely NOT.

:eek:

What good have they done? :confused:

Really? Well, I have met quite a few guys who after serving time in prison realize that their former heroin use is what led to the crimes they committed, and they do not ever want to go back to prison, so they never use heroin again.

Well that is not the case around here, they created tough new heroin laws a couple years ago, yet the overdose numbers, ER visits, etc have ramped up. They arrest one dealer and 4 more spring up to take their place, truly the problem has become much worse years after the new laws suggested by law enforcement, yet what do many people still do…look to law enforcement for the solutions…? LOL

I think law enforcement needs to be taken out of the equation, time to try another approach, this one has not worked, cannot keep trying the same thing and expect different results. I think they need to have the CDC take over and let police deal with non-drug related crime ONLY, so when a neighbor sees suspicious activity that they think is drug dealing, they would contact CDC, not police, after all addiction like this is a disease, police are not equipped or trained to deal with disease.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.