German Cardinal Marx inaugurating his new style altar in the Baroque Church of St. Lorenz…

https://www.erzbistum-muenchen.de/news/bistum/Altarweihe-mit-Kardinal-Marx-in-St-Lorenz-Oberfoehring-37945.news

1 Like

What’s with the three jagged slabs? I don’t get it.

2 Likes

And it only cost about 285,000 dollars (they said the “restoration” in total cost 4 million–I’d hate to see what the rest went to…looks like it may have been to whitewash the ceiling ornamentation…).

I am convinced modern art is mostly an “Emperor’s New Clothes” style scam. I’m all about spending money on what is beautiful for God, but if we’re going to do something that looks cheap and ugly, we should get something cheap and give rest to the poor.

In any event, as St. Bernard put it, “what is the point of this ridiculous monstrosity, this shapely misshapenness, this misshapen shapeliness…Good Lord! If we aren’t embarrassed by the silliness of it all, shouldn’t we at least be disgusted by the expense?”

4 Likes

Is it possible it represents, like… a local river? They’re going for some kind of ‘water of life’ symbolism, plus three sections to point to the Trinity?

Or do I just project meaning onto everything.

2 Likes

I rather like it. Yes, it’s not traditional…neither were traditional styles when they were first introduced. I think it’s clean and simple while being abstract. I would agree that people will either love it or hate it with very few in the middle…but art always does that.

1 Like

Those would be logical symbols given that it is an altar after all. If that altar actually cost 245,000 Euros (as per the article) it seems rather over-priced.

1 Like

Do you like it enough to warrant the apparent $285k price tag?

2 Likes

Of course the German Church is incredibly wealthy… they’re swimming in cash. So I’m fine with them spending significant money on art… i just don’t see why this particular piece would be valued at nearly $300k.

1 Like

I was going to point out that the money spent is a blip in the German church budget and then you basically wrote the same thing!

Is it worth it? Hard to say as worth is as much in the eye of the beholder as beauty is. To those that love it, it’s worth it. To those that don’t, of course it was a rediculous price! :woman_shrugging:

Dunno, can you make one like that? :wink:

Price tag aside, I don’t dislike it, even though it reminds me a bit of Montreal’s crumbling infrastructure…

They’re presently dismantling the old Champlain Bridge in Montreal, they might have been able to find something very similar at a fraction of the cost from the detritus :rofl:

Although the dismantling of the old bridge is no paragon of well-managed money either. It will apparently cost $400 MILLION to dismantle the old bridge.

Might be able to find the raw materials here:

3 Likes

Anyone a fan of the Fallout games here? It reminds me of something you might build in Fallout 4 for a settlement.

1 Like

Not what I asked. Can you make one like that?

Was just doing some settlement building last night. Beats the old, beat-up desks I usually have to use as an altar in the parishes I build.

No but I can probably track down someone in my diocese who can make an improved version:

That’s the new altar at my diocese’s cathedral.

It’s supposed to represent a tomb opening up and revealing the Light:

Now whether the sculptor who made it can do it cheaper than the one in Germany, I have no idea :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll concede the point. That’s effing beautiful. (I still don’t mind the other one, but this is awesome in the tradition sense of the word.)

1 Like

Even a wooden table would be better than this monstrosity.

3 Likes

If my eyes roll any harder, I’m going to get whiplash.

What exactly about it makes you call it a “monstrosity”?

I must say I was surprised when I saw the pics on our diocese’s website. The weird thing is, I have never been to my diocese’s cathedral. By a quirk of geography, I live on the limit of the neighbouring diocese, and it’s cathedral is in the city where our Gregorian schola sings. So I’ve been to it numerous times. Although the neighbouring cathedral is 9 km farther, it’s on a 4-lane autoroute whereas my own dioceses’s cathedral takes at least 20 minutes more to reach on winding 2-lane roads that pass through numerous small towns in spite of the shorter distance.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.