German court orders Bishop Williamson to pay fine for denying Holocaust

It’s too bad Germany does not have our First Amendment rights.

"BERLIN (AP) — A German court convicted ultraconservative British Bishop Richard Williamson on Friday for denying the Holocaust in a television interview.

A court in the Bavarian city of Regensburg found Williamson guilty of incitement for saying in a 2008 interview with Swedish television that he did not believe Jews were killed in gas chambers during World War II.

The court ordered Williamson to pay a fine of €10,000 ($13,544).

The Roman Catholic bishop was barred by his order from attending Friday’s proceedings or making statements to the media."

chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-eu-germany-holocaust-denial,0,7670565.story

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100416/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_holocaust_denial

BERLIN – A German court convicted ultraconservative British Bishop Richard Williamson on Friday for denying the Holocaust in a television interview.

A court in the Bavarian city of Regensburg found Williamson guilty of incitement for saying in a 2008 interview with Swedish television that he did not believe Jews were killed in gas chambers during World War II.

Perhaps. It’s also too bad that there are people who think like this. How in God’s name can ANYONE downplay that horror?!

My issue with this situation is that the people reporting on it have not done a good job of making it clear that he is in schism with the Church.

Aside from that I have mixed feelings about this sort of speach. I deplore it, but also don’t love the idea of the government deciding what acceptable speech is. Sort of how the KKK is free to march here in the United States. It makes my skin crawl, but it is a testimony to our freedoms that it is allowed. Holocaust denial is a baffling thing to me.

To my Jewish brothers and sisters reading this, please know that I, and many Catholics have great love and gratitude for the faith you have passed down to us. This man, Williamson, is not even a Catholic – he is part of a schismatic group. And while the media would love to divide us, all who love God and freedom should be in solidarity. I wonder why the AP runs this story, but VERY little about Obama’s recent political moves against Israel, including denying visas for Israeli scientist to come to the USA.

If I recall correctly, once upon a time, Germans had those rights.
They lost them in 2005 as the neo-nazi movement became more prevalent and disruptive.

Similarly, we have such limitations too - related to both hate crimes and terrorism.

sigh
Once again folks, before you post a news story, LOOK to see if the story has already been posted.
Thanks.

Well said MercyMia. Well said.

i agree with your excellent comments!

The sad thing is that while these idiotic statements from this deluded man are vile, we are better of allowing these fools to speak & reveal their ignorance.

We in the US are headed for the same loss of freedoms with the current group of "progressive elites " in power pushing “hate crimes & hate speech” laws like Canada & the Europeans have.

**Soon, any Catholic lay person or clergy who speaks or writes the teachings of Jesus Christ against abortion or homosexual activity or “marriage”, etc. will be cited or arrested, dragged into court & fined or imprisoned for “hate speech!”

"Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” (Acts 21:13)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Very well said.

Didn’t he dispute the official number but never actually deny the Holocaust?

I believe that he denied the gas chambers, and suggested a total number of deaths that was preposterously low (200,000 - 300,000).

He did this despite the FACT that our two most recent Popes were living through their childhood/adolecence and/or young adult years under Nazi rule.
Let’s see: believe Benedict XVI and John Paul II or Williamson.

Dooooohhhhhhhh…

I can’t imagine why you think you have the right to make this ‘definitive’ statement.
This is, first and last, only your opinion, is it not?
Or are you quoting some authority???

Another really good point.

He also said that the stories about the gas chambers and the higher numbers killed were made up by the Jews as part of a Zionist plot.

This man should be forced to walk around the concentration camps. If he still feels this way, than God help him.

First Amendment Rights should not be absolute. Unless you think its okay if I were to yell “FIRE” in a theatre, or “There’s a bomb” in the airport. Free speech isn’t about the legal right to lie and lets be honest, to deny the Holocaust is a lie.

In that case he should have fled to the Palestinian Authority or Iran. :rolleyes:

We should pray that the darkness will be lifted from this fellow’s intellect.

LOLLLLLLLLL…When I read this news first I really felt like laughing aloud. Is denying holocaust such a big crime? HUH…It is a personal choice as to whether to accept or deny holocaust. Is denying holocaust going to affect anyone badly???

Nowadays it seems like we cant criticize anything or anybody related to two religions, Judaism and Islam.If we criticize a jew or Judaism it will be termed as anti-semitism, and if we criticize something or somebody related to Islam they will revolt, burn effigies, make violent outbursts, and the whole episode will be higlighted as Islamaphobic.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I’m not laughing.

Yes, it’s a crime in Germany for good reason.
Maybe you need some friends who lived through those times.
Plenty of folks are still alive. Maybe I’m much older than you?

To see neo-nazi rallies take over the streets?
UNACCEPTABLE to Germany - with very good reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.