German recipe assistance

Hi everyone…

I’m looking for a German recipe my mom and I would make many decades ago.

It was a thin, very thin slice of good beef ~ and it would be flattened out ~ and inside we could put a few pieces of raw onion, raw bacon and a small, very tiny whole pickel.

We would roll it up like a roulade, stick a toothpick in there & coat it in flour, brown it and then cook it.

I remember all of this, but I do not remember what the “cooking” was. :blush:

Do you know this meat dish? We would eat it with spatzle and a veggie…

All I want to know is what it is called so I may look up the recipe on the internet or if you can identify this dish, perhaps you can share your family recipe.

Thanks much!

Sounds like a type of schnitzle (spelling might be way off!).

edited to add it is spelled schnitzel. See if you can find some recipes that look similar in this category.

Brenda V.

Rouladen.

My grandmother was German and I remember this.

She really didn’t put flour on it though. She seared the beef with the filling in a pan with some hot oil, butter, and also with some chopped celery and carrots, and after the meat was seared (brown) on all sides, she slow-roasted it or actually more or less braised it by adding around a cup or so of vegetable or beef broth, simmered for like 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Does that help?

Yes, yes, yes…!!! :slight_smile:

and after the meat was seared (brown) on all sides, she slow-roasted it or actually more or less braised it by adding around a cup or so of vegetable or beef broth, simmered for like 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

This is the piece I was missing!

Mom would cook it for about 1 1/2-2 hours at a slow simmer.

But the veggie part in the simmering was not there. It’s ok…

They (veggies) were always served on the side with the spatzel pasta.

Thank your so very much!

**But please tell me, what beef was used? **

I remember my mom & I would go to the butcher to get this beef sliced thin.

That is another piece of the recipe I do not remember.

:shrug: yeah… I should have paid attention, but alas being young it didn’t interest me.

And yes, I was in the kitchen helping her making this, I didn’t pay attention to the beef.

It’s amaging that at the age of 50+ you remember these dishes you had and you helped make year in & year out but didn’t pay attention… :blush:

If you can identify and tell me what beef this recipe uses, I’d be very grateful…

Best regards,
Pam
New York

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.