"Get out of my country!"

WASHINGTON POST: "According to witness accounts, the gunman reportedly told two of the people who were shot — both Indian men who work for Garmin, the technology firm — to “get out of my country” before opening fire and had also used racial slurs during the Wednesday evening shooting.

Multiple law enforcement agents launched an investigation into the deadly shooting inside Austin’s Bar and Grill in Olathe, a city about 20 miles southwest of Kansas City. Even as authorities said they had not yet identified a motive for the attack, relatives of the Indian men said they feared the shooting was connected to a climate of fear and xenophobia in America.

The father of one of the people injured pointed to the election of President Trump, who has routinely described a threat posed to Americans from people outside the country’s borders, and pleaded with parents in India “not to send their children to the United States.”

The White House responded by calling the link to Trump’s rhetoric absurd, according to Reuters."

washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/24/get-out-of-my-country-kansan-reportedly-yelled-before-shooting-2-men-from-india-killing-one/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_mm-kansas-151am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.1aa24991521a

God have mercy on us.

May all Catholics pray and work to bring an end to xenophobia. May we use the migration of peoples as an opportunity to fulfill the Great Commission.

The incendiary rhetoric of Trump may have helped fan the flames of xenophobia. However, in despicable acts such as this, which may be influenced by Trump’s speeches and policies, there is already an unhinged personality at work so that Trump serves only as the catalyst or stimulus for the behavior.

Concur…we need to improve our mental health system big time.

:frowning: so sad

When mean-spiritedness is channeled to win an election, it doesn’t go away once the voting is over.

ICXC NIKA

Climates of fear do indeed have consequences and creating a mindset that is reliant on bogeymen tends to foster stuff like this. As Meltzerboy points out this individual was likely not particularly balanced to start with and would find some reason to tip over eventually but the current climate in the US politically may well have provided the impetus to tip over quicker or push him over that much quicker. The talk on this forum of late is worrying in that regard, boosting of white nationalism, constant posts of dubious youtube videos about Islam etc. etc. This tragic event also indicates the problems of people confusing different ethnic groups, that was seen after 9;/11 I recall also with Sikhs been attacked and at one point an Eastern Catholic priest been chased and beaten.

:thumbsup:

Indeed, an awful climate of partisanship in which jingoism seems to replace patriotism and nationalism of a strained kind and often bordering on the extreme seems to be becoming accepted. There are faults in the moral climate that all presidencies create as they mirror the fact and reality of presidents and political parties been only another aspect of fallen humanity, however the extent to which they mirror those faults and distort them or exaggerate them does vary. At present I find a shrill and horrible tone about ‘outsiders’ creeping into political discourse and not just in the USA.

I agree.
And you will disagree with me on this, but I find this emanating from and supported by Putin.

What tragic news. :frowning:

This is completely stupid. Proof that the press is a cancer - and I know my cancers.

They reported what the father of one of the victims said.:shrug: They also reported the Trump administrations response. What would you have them do?

After decades of xenophilia and its all too predictable consequences, backlash is inevitable.

Murder us murder, not ‘backlash’.

I did not say this particular action was justified, I just said it was unsurprising.

LOL

I am wondering whether my link to CAF has become confused with one for Stormfront at times lately.

Ummmmm not to sound pendantic, but I think you meant xenophobia, xenophilia would be love, not fear. And makes for a completely different post! Enjoy this last Sunday before Lent ! It’s looking to be a great one here in the Eastern US!

OK, fair enough, if President Trump is somehow responsible for this tragedy (check Nikki Haley’s ancestry while you’re at it) then anyone opposing the President is in league with Witches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.