Get Oven Locks

I know of a small child who recently received burns on his arm because of a hot oven door that was opened by another child. The child could have been saved much pain if there had simply been a lock on the oven.

From what I understand, oven locks cost about five dollars and take about five minutes to install.

Please get locks for your ovens.

This is a great idea, and I wanted to add something. Ovens are usually front-heavy, as well, and can be pulled over on top of a child. There are ways to anchor the oven to the wall, to prevent a toddler from tipping the oven (usually by climbing up the front, using the handle).

Good thread, Tom! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder.

I bought one a month ago after Cassian pulled the oven door open on himself (he landed on his back on the floor and the door crashed down on top of him - but didn’t hit him, thank God).

Yesterday he did the same thing and do you think I’ve put the lock on yet? No…Bad Mommy. :o

Since it’s on my mind, I’ll do it right now. thanks! :smiley:

newer ovens should have these anti-tip devices already in them. When you buy a new home make sure there were installed. Don’t assume anything. Otherwise call the builder and get the electrician or the appliance man out there.

Thanks, and great addition. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip.

We used to have a built in oven (high enough the kids couldn’t reach the door handle), but recently remodeled and now have a standard oven. My 2 year old just learned that she could open the oven door. She did it when the oven was off. But I didn’t follow it through and think to get a lock. I will look for one.

I think new ovens should also have an auto-lock feature whenever it is turned on. Burns are terrible things.

Just an FYI to others who may be reading this thread… My home was built in 2004, and I never heard of these safety issues until after my DD’s first birthday a few months ago. Our homebuilder does not include them as part of the house - They’re viewed the same way as electrical outlet plugs and baby gates (parents’ responsibilities). Your homebuilder may not help you out, sadly.

Good point, but these devices are failry cfheap/

I know of a small child who recently received burns on his arm because of a hot oven door that was opened by another child. The child could have been saved much pain if there had simply been a lock on the oven.

From what I understand, oven locks cost about five dollars and take about five minutes to install.

Please get locks for your ovens.

My mom and dad just bought a new oven and range. It is so cool!!! It has a lock inside it. You just push 2 buttons at the same time and it locks the oven door.

We have the “standard” model. Our son is not to insterested in our oven other than pulling the towels off the handle so he can admire himself in the oven reflection. :rolleyes:

Well, oven locks are cheap and easy to install. I recommend getting them for anyone who has children around.

Thank you for the advice!! :thumbsup: Where do you buy them at? My dear 2 year old actually opened the oven door last night, Thank goodness it wasn’t hot!!!:slight_smile:

Any baby supply store, and many hardware chains like Home Depot. Call around, they are easy to find. The easy version has a stick-on pad for easy install. You will not regret it, it can easily save a child from suffering a painful wound.

What a great idea! Thanks Tom. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Spread the word, it is one area in which we can protect our children that is rarely ever addressed.

babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?id=5251&rc=Voltage5251

http://www.babyuniverse.com/product_images/pic/31/l31-5251.jpg

We got one like this at Lowes. If my husband and I forget that the lock is engaged and try to open the oven, we usually can open it anyway, but it is strong enough (so far) to keep our 2 year old out. Hopefully by the time he’s strong enough to open it when the lock is engaged, he’ll be able to understand that only Mommy and Daddy open the oven.

Here is a link to a lock that seems fairly easy to install and works well.

http://www.safebeginnings.com/WebComponents/Catalog/Public/showproduct.asp?id=735

http://www.safebeginnings.com/WebComponents/Catalog/Public/showproduct.asp?id=735

This is what the lock I linked to looks like:

An oven/range that tips over/out of the cabinetry is NOT installed properly! I can put a 20+lb. turkey on my oven door and it won’t tip over/out into the room…??

and… What happened to “That’s HOT! Don’t Touch!.. EVER!”!!! = parenting! Not relying upon gadgets…

What if the gadget fails? Little Jimmy tugs on the oven door because he’s never been told it’s a “DON’T DO THAT” thing?
Jimmy’s in the burn unit, and Mr. & Mrs. Jimmy are talking to attorneys formulating a plan to bury a company!

Parenting & Discipline! Not Gadgets!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.