Get rid of Protestent knowledge

What is the best way to get rid of my anticatholic knowledge(ones that i learned from antiprotestents)? Its making it sort of hard to become a catholic. Like i am torn bewteen protestantism and Catholicism. I was baptized as a catholic but never got serious about the bible until this year

Well first you have to understand that Christ did not intend for us to live solely by scripture. The bible is the divinely inspired word of God, yes, but Christ founded His church not on scripture but on a person, Himself.

It is important to realize that the new covenant is no longer a set of rules or laws but rather it is a person and the interaction we have with that person and others as well.

The apostles received the teachings of Christ, and not all the teachings were written down to become part of the Bible. That is why Christ gave us the one, true, holy and APOSTOLIC Church.

My suggestion would be to go talk to your parish priest and see what steps you need to take. Your priest will point you in the right direction.

Also, you should start looking at the catechism, the writings of the Church fathers, etc. There’s more to Christ’s Church than the Bible.

I recommend you make good use of your parish. :slight_smile: Hopefully, you have some adult-learning classes at your parish or in your diocese. I’d say the Catechism would be a great start. There are also various ‘free’ courses available online for Catholics as well. Your priest might be able to direct you; perhaps the RCIA class at your parish or a nearby one.

God bless you and welcome!
Christina

Well, I have a group here on Catholic Answers designed in part to debunk myths
about the texts rejected form the Protestant bibles. I am not INCREDIBLY smart,
so I can’t solve all anti-Catholic myths, but I can sure help out in the books of the
Deuterocanon. :wink:

Buy a Catholic catechism and slowly go through it. Find a priest, nun, or good Catholic who will discuss questions.

I am amazed at how clear the catechism is and how connected to scripture,

May you find a good spiritual director.

rcspiritualdirection.com/

Peace

Interestingly I can use only the Bible and common history and disable any protestant argument.

My recommendation is read the New Testament various times and the Old Testament for good measure. Also one needs to recognize the significance of Jesus’ promise to Peter that the devil would not prevail against the Church.

Also I think it would be very educational to have common protestant arguments listed here with a proper Biblical response.

I live in a very evangelical area. I was constantly barraged with Catholics believe X, or Catholics do Y after I converted. My attitude was “I’ll look into that”
I did. Without fail what they told me was always either a lie, or a misunderstanding. But what’s interesting is that when I would try to set the record straight with those people they didn’t want to be corrected. I feel it is because they wanted to believe the lies so they could justify not being Catholic.

My suggestion is to look into the anti-catholic claims. Look at what the church REALLY says and teaches on these subjects, and what History REALLY says about what happened at x time.

WHEN you find that all the ant- Catholic claims are false, then realize that lies have one source- Satan. It doesn’t matter if the lies are coming from good christian people, or if they actually believe the lies, they are still lies from Satan. Then ask yourself “Why would Satan want to lie about the Catholic church?”

Think about it. Are there books, websites, or multiple sermons dedicated to how evil Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans, etc are? Or do people constantly go up to those people and confront them about their religion?

Why is it only the Catholic church that is so lied about?

“Could it be …SATANNN” (church lady)

Proper formation is helpful. I’m in a pastoral group in Mexico, and this group, I think has 13 years of study! I’m only in my first year! It gets into why we do what we do, specifically. I have found it most helpful.

Also, there are books, “Catholicism for Dummies” and probably others which help one better understand it. Also, attending a Catholic Bible study might be helpful.

Coming on the forum, listening to Catholic radio, watching Catholic television, podcasts would also be helpful.

tunein.com/radio/WNGL-1410-s30845/ Here’s an example of some programming where I used to live, and one can get on podcast.

You can even call in on their live hour with any specific questions you might have, talk to someone.

amazon.com/Catholicism-Fundamentalism-Attack-Romanism-Christians/dp/0898701775/ref=pd_sim_b_2

benjamindt;11536204] …The bible is the divinely inspired word of God, yes, but Christ founded His church not on scripture but on a person, Himself.

Well now, I thought that the Roman Catholic Church taught that according to its’ interpretation of Matthew 16:18, Christ founded His Church on the Apostle Peter, am I right benjamindt?

“And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

Also, you have tended to put the cart before the horse -

posted by benjamindt; Well first you have to understand that Christ did not intend for us to live solely by scripture.

Quite right, but what Christ actually said was,

"Who answered and said: It is written, Not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4 (Douay-Rheims Holy Bible)

Protector.

“Build MY Church”…that sounds based on Jesus Christ to me :slight_smile:

Hi there. I’m a Catholic convert, though I wasn’t in any Protestant communities, so I didn’t have any anti-Catholic baggage. When I watch The Journey Home or read a conversion story, I’m often amazed at how painful and frustrating the process of conversion is due to so much anti-Catholic teachings.

You’ve gotten a lot of great answers so far, but I think the first thing to do I pray. That may sound too obvious, but I’m talking about a different kind of prayer. When I was going through my conversion, most of the Catholic Church’s teachings were easy for me to understand and assent to, but when I had difficulty, I prayed a kind of prayer I hadn’t been taught or seen in any prayer book. I surrendered my mind to God, asking Him to enter in, purify my mind, to look upon all my thoughts and ideas and correct all that is in error, and to give me a correct understanding of the Sacred Scriptures and a spirit of docility to the Magisterium. I asked Him to help me understand those things that I couldn’t on my own. I’ve prayed this prayer often and it is always answered.

:blessyou:

Study! The more you know about history the more Catholic you’ll end up. :slight_smile: Read Church history, conciliar docs, the catechism, the bible, theological works, lives and writings of the saints, Augustine, Aquinas, ECFs. Don’t be swayed unless its based on sound knowledge. Most of their “knowledge” is actually anti-Catholic propaganda, often the same old slurs repeated ad nauseam. And, since they generally base their beliefs on scripture alone, you’ll eventually find that they often don’t even agree among themselves due to varying interpretations!

(All embellishments and emphasis mine)

benjamindt;11536204] …The bible is the divinely inspired word of God, yes, **but Christ founded His church not on scripture but on a person, Himself. **

Originally Posted by Protector:
Well now, I thought that the Roman Catholic Church taught that according to its’ interpretation of Matthew 16:18, Christ founded His Church on the Apostle Peter, am I right benjamindt?
Quote:
“And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
Protector.

ccmcmg;11536727]“Build MY Church”…that sounds based on Jesus Christ to me :slight_smile:

Really?! But doesn’t the RCC Catechism and the First Vatican Council confirm my statement?

From the Catechism:…**881 ** The Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the “rock” of his Church.

From Vatican I :

SESSION 4 : 18 July 1870
First dogmatic constitution on the church of Christ
Pius, bishop, servant of the servants of God, with the approval of the sacred council, for an everlasting record.
……………………………

1. In order, then, that
    o the episcopal office should be one and undivided and that,
    o by the union of the clergy,
    o the whole multitude of believers should be held together in the unity of
     faith and
     communion,
    o **he set blessed Peter over the rest of the apostles and
    o instituted in him the permanent principle of both unities and
    o their visible foundation. **
  2. **Upon the strength of this foundation was to be built the eternal temple, and the church **whose topmost part reaches heaven was to rise upon the firmness of this foundation [41] .
  3. And since the gates of hell trying, if they can, to overthrow the church, make their assault with a hatred that increases day by day against its divinely laid foundation,
    o we judge it necessary,
     with the approbation of the sacred council, and
     for the protection, defence and growth of the catholic flock,
    o to propound the doctrine concerning the
  4. institution,
  5. permanence and
  6. nature
    o of the sacred and apostolic primacy,
    o upon which the strength and coherence of the whole church depends.
  7. This doctrine is to be believed and held by all the faithful in accordance with the ancient and unchanging faith of the whole church.
  8. Furthermore, we shall proscribe and condemn the contrary errors which are so harmful to the Lord’s flock.

Just for the record, I totally agree with the statement by benjamindt;11536204] above, i.e. that,

…The bible IS the divinely inspired word of God,… **Christ founded His church **not on scripture but **on **a person, Himself.

Protector.

I don’t understand what you mean.
First, you seem to be implying that Protestants are anti-Catholic which is generally not the case.
Second, I was a Methodist for the first 44 years of my life before converting. You simply have to believe and accept all Church teachings then it is irrelevant what you learned before.

Obviously Christ founded His Church on the Apostle Peter, but Christ is the head of the Church, He is the only reason the Church exists. Peter received his authority over the earthly Church from Christ and that authority subsists today with Pope Francis.

I was making a point that Christ didn’t give us a book, He gave us Himself and others.

I’m not sure what you mean about “getting rid of knowledge.” Knowledge isn’t something you can or should get rid of.

Of course, sometimes we “know” things that just ain’t so. That kind of “knowledge” needs to be dispelled by real knowledge.

So what is this knowledge of which you speak?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.