Getting a Bachelor's Degree Before Entering Priesthoof

Should I go to college and get a degree before entering priesthood?
I'm thinking about double majoring in history and either anthropology or archaeology then eventually getting a phd in history. Should I become a priest first or go to college?

In the US, you must have a Bachelor's degree or it's equivalent to enter seminary.

From the Program of Priestly Formation from the USCCB.

1. Theologates must require a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution. Sufficient education in philosophy, which the Code of Canon Law states as a biennium,37 is understood in the United States to be at least 30 semester credit hours, plus the out-of-classroom work associated with each credit hour traditionally expected in American higher education. A minimum of 12 semester credit hours is required in appropriate courses of undergraduate theology. (The content of such courses is outlined in norms 178 and 179 under “Intellectual Formation— College Seminaries: Norms.”)

Your best bet is to talk with the vocation's department in your diocese. They can help you much more than anyone on the internet.

Peace be with you on your journey. :)

Thanks love the Albert Schweitzer quote he is one of my favorite persons :thumbsup:

[quote="adawgj, post:1, topic:335887"]
I'm thinking about double majoring in history and either anthropology or archaeology then eventually getting a phd in history. Should I become a priest first or go to college?

[/quote]

Building off of what was previously said, you might also seek application to a college Seminary. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with your diocesan vocation director; he will guide you on the proper ways to apply.

Out of curiosity, what grade are you in?

[quote="Boston_Sem, post:4, topic:335887"]
Building off of what was previously said, you might also seek application to a college Seminary. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with your diocesan vocation director; he will guide you on the proper ways to apply.

Out of curiosity, what grade are you in?

[/quote]

I graduate high school this year

With ALL my heart, I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that you read this AMAZING book :

To Save A Thousand Souls by Fr. Brett A. Brannen

You NEEED to READ THIS BOOK - it answers your question.

[/quote]

Have you spoken with your spiritual director about this? What does he recommend?

Have you discerned between the diocesan priesthood and religious life? What does the vocation director of your diocese or religious order recommend?

Their opinions are going to carry a lot more weight than ours.

Get your degree first!!!

There is much to learn about life and people and the world in university, and it can only help and enrich you in your future endeavor.

It depends on how comfortable you are with your current stage in discernment.

If you feel very strongly that you’ll definitely be a priest, and your Vocations Director agrees, it may be worth your time to enter a college seminary. There you’ll study Philosophy with other seminarians, and all of your courses will be presented in a way to compliment your vocation and studies. After this, you will study four years of Theology.

If you’d prefer to attend a regular university first, once you complete your degree and apply to the seminary, you will study two years of Pre-Theology (Philosophy), and then four years of Theology.

It’s up to you, your bishop, and your vocations director.

Will that 2 years of philosophy get me a philosophy degree?

[quote="adawgj, post:10, topic:335887"]
Will that 2 years of philosophy get me a philosophy degree?

[/quote]

No. The pre-theology years do not provide a degree.

[quote="Boston_Sem, post:11, topic:335887"]
No. The pre-theology years do not provide a degree.

[/quote]

Is it possible to get a philosophy degree after college I thought all priests had to get degrees in philosophy?

I have not heard that all priests must “get” degrees in philosophy. They receive a masters in Theology (M.Div) upon Ordination. They also take courses in Philosophy. While it does depend on the Seminary, I have not heard of the Pre-Theology programs offering bachelors degrees in Philosophy. Also, the Pre years encompass more than Philosophy, and include formation in spirituality and a heightened discernment.

Can you show me where you were led to believe all priests receive degrees in philosophy?

Are you able to get an S.T.B or S.T.L. and how would you get one do you just write a thesis to be accepted or how does that work because I’m one of those people that wants to be scholarly. (Which is one of the very few things I want in this world)

In order to pursue “post-ordinand” studies, one would need permission from ones superior. That applies to all studies after ordination.

The want to be scholarly and the yearning to expand your knowledge is fantastic and commendable. But, we are called to obedience. We are called to lay down the will of our heart in exchange for the satisfaction of the Will of God.

[/quote]

Get in touch with your Vocations Director ASAP, to find out which degrees you require, and what order you need to take them in.

Only a few schools or seminaries in the US offer those degrees as they are Pontifical Degress.

:thumbsup:

This book helped me tremendously with my discernment. It answered A LOT of questions I had.

I also highly recommend it!

[quote="adawgj, post:12, topic:335887"]
Is it possible to get a philosophy degree after college I thought all priests had to get degrees in philosophy?

[/quote]

Not all priests have degrees in philosophy. Pre-theology drums up to about 30 credit hours in philosophy, which is about the equivalent of a major in university, but no degree is awarded.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.