Getting a bible blessed

I want to get an old family bible blessed by a priest or bishop. Is there a certain mass I would take it to or do I just hit them up after a Sunday mass?

Any bishop, priest or deacon can bless the bible anytime, before of after Mass or anytime you see a clergy member just ask them.

Any bishop, priest can bless the bible anytime, before of after Mass or anytime you see a clergy member just ask them I asked my parish priest to bless my daily missal after mass before he got unvested

[quote="Aran_Houlihan, post:3, topic:325151"]
Any bishop, priest can bless the bible anytime, before of after Mass or anytime you see a clergy member just ask them I asked my parish priest to bless my daily missal after mass before he got unvested

[/quote]

Or deacon...I'm sure that was just a little mistake on your part, right?

you can asked a decon but I perfure to asked a priest

[quote="Aran_Houlihan, post:5, topic:325151"]
you can asked a decon but I perfure to asked a priest

[/quote]

You do realize all three levels of the hierarchy are authorized to bless sacramentals, right? Actually the deacon is authorized to confer all blessings not reserved to the bishop or certain religious orders, as is a priest, right?

I am aware of that Thank you

[quote="Aran_Houlihan, post:7, topic:325151"]
I am aware of that Thank you

[/quote]

Ok, good...many people do not understand. I prefer to ask a priest myself, if one is present I always defer to the priest when I am asked to bless anything. If a bishop is present I defer to him. The different levels of the hierarchy do matter especially when side by side. However, when I am the only cleric I do confer the blessing.

[quote="Lapey, post:8, topic:325151"]
Ok, good...many people do not understand. I prefer to ask a priest myself, if one is present I always defer to the priest when I am asked to bless anything. If a bishop is present I defer to him. The different levels of the hierarchy do matter especially when side by side. However, when I am the only cleric I do confer the blessing.

[/quote]

people have different Preferences

Would a bishop's blessing be any "better" than a decon's blessing?

Not as far as blessing a sacremental goes. No. But there are certain blessings which are reserved for bishops.

Or they may not bless it at all, it depends upon the priest.

Several years ago, in a previous parish, I asked the priest to bless a new Bible. He made the sign of the cross over the Bible and said something very softly which I did not hear. Was curious to know the blessing. For all I know, he could have been saying the recipe for pancakes.

A few years later, in another parish, yet another new Bible, I asked the priest to bless it. He told me it was already the word of God and he could do no better, so he did not give a blessing.

(Perhaps some priests want to discourage people from bringing them a constant stream of sacramentals for blessing.)

[quote="David2010, post:12, topic:325151"]
A few years later, in another parish, yet another new Bible, I asked the priest to bless it. He told me it was already the word of God and he could do no better, so he did not give a blessing.

[/quote]

This is certainly incorrect. Without being blessed, nothing is a sacramental (even a Cross). Any object can be blessed. There is a special blessing prayer used in the Byzantine Rite for blessing any object:

O Creator and Author of mankind, Giver of spiritual graces and Bestower of eternal salvation: Do Thou, the same Lord, send down Thy Holy Spirit, with a blessing from on high, upon this (name of object), that, fortified by the might of heavenly protection, it may be potent unto bodily salvation and succor aid aid, unto all who shall desire to make use of it, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ our true God, through the intercessions of His all-immaculate Mother and of all the saints, have mercy upon us and save us, forasmuch as He is good and loveth mankind.

Through the prayers of our holy fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy upon us and save us. Amen.

[quote="cessnawag, post:10, topic:325151"]
Would a bishop's blessing be any "better" than a decon's blessing?

[/quote]

The Sisters of Carmel website asserts that the efficacy of sacramentals depends on the devotion of the person blessing and receiving the sacramental, on the prayers of the Church, on the blessing, and on the merits of Christ as well as the Saints.

The power of sacramentals, then, depends greatly on the devotion of both the priest who gives the blessing and the person who is receiving the sacramental. They depend on the prayers of the church, the prayers of the blessings that are imposed on them, and the merits of Jesus Christ, the Blessed Mother, and the Saints. Of themselves they do not save souls, but they are the means for securing heavenly help for those who use them properly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.