Getting a job in a Catholic hospital?

I’ve had too much difficulty trying to find a job with the credentials from my master’s degree a few years ago, and it was suggested to me that I undertake study to enter the medical field, completely unrelated to my previous education.

However, in light of knowing more about Catholicism, it seems unwise to join a secular medical institution, and secular college education, where contraception and abortion are now the accepted norm - thus putting myself in a situation where I would be supporting sinful behaviors. I need the money, but I also don’t want to, well, go to hell.

So I was thinking perhaps that I should try to get a job at a Catholic hospital somehow.

What should I do? What’s the first step? I have no experience with Catholic educational institutions…I’m not sure if that’s where I was supposed to begin to pursue this field…and I’m not sure I can afford private ($$$$) Catholic universities.

Well, I think the first step would be to contact the nearest Catholic hospital to see what job openings they have. And see what the requirements are for each one. It may be that you can get a job there without a medical degree. In fact, there are other jobs in the field. Like medical transcriptionist. A good Vo-Tech school can help with that training. I'm sure you can find something you can do without incurring a lot of educational expenses. :thumbsup:

thanks, good idea! ^^; When it comes to job-hunting, sometimes I can’t see the forest for the trees. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I’m hoping there’s a way to put my foot in the door without simply applying on their website…I can’t stand anymore online applications…

This site is meant for younger folk, but older people can use it too:

cloisters.tripod.com/hospitalcandystripers/

Contact the volunteer coordinator and see what you can do.

Blessings,
cloisters

[quote="minion, post:3, topic:320327"]
thanks, good idea! ^^; When it comes to job-hunting, sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. :p

Also, I'm hoping there's a way to put my foot in the door without simply applying on their website...I can't stand anymore online applications...

[/quote]

Online applications really do seem to be the current norm. In any case, there's all sorts of positions available at a Catholic hospital--many of them don't require any medical expertise. In any case, take a look at the online listings at the Catholic hospital nearest you and see what's there. You may be surprised (I work at a Catholic hospital myself).

If you got training in medical assistance, you could also look for employment in private practice where you could find an employeer who will not ask you to do anything immoral.

Cloisters - wow, I never even heard of a candy stripper before…I’ll check it out :wink: (they get paid, right?)

Melissa - online applications never really got me anywhere, but I hope I can find a hopsital that can utilize my current skills, saving me from more college bills :o

Allegra - I’m afraid I have no medical training whatsoever :blush:

Just keep in mind that just because a hospital is Catholic, doesn't mean it actually is in line with the Church's moral laws.

[quote="minion, post:7, topic:320327"]
Cloisters - wow, I never even heard of a candy stripper before....I'll check it out ;) (they get paid, right?)

Melissa - online applications never really got me anywhere, but I hope I can find a hopsital that can utilize my current skills, saving me from more college bills :o

Allegra - I'm afraid I have no medical training whatsoever :blush:

[/quote]

No, Candy Stripers do not get paid. I was thinking perhaps you could talk to the volunteer coordinator, and they could offer some suggestions. Dietary is about the only place I can think of that doesn't require some kind of certification.

And, like others have said, the ethics will be questionable, no doubt.

We're getting to the point that those who do have ethics have to start their own organization, and have a tremendous development department and endowment.

Blessings,
Cloisters

There will be janitors at any hospital as well. That and working in the kitchen won't make much, but will at least help with the bills. I mean, won't be much when compared to the salaries of medically trained staff. Oh, and don't forget about laundry. Not glamorous jobs, but somebody has got to do them. And it might lead to a chance at other training. Like I said (or did I?), you might try a Vo-Tech to see if they have a medical trascription training class. I once went to a school that had that, but it wasn't what I was training in.

You already have a Masters Degree. Do you have management experience? Hospitals have lots of middle managers but many of them come out of medical skills positions like nursing.

I've worked in a Catholic hospial for over 20 years. I assume your Masters is not in Nursing, Medical Administration or in Finance, otherwise you would be applying somewhere. Starting an online graduate program in Medical Manangement might help facilitate your job search.

John

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.