Getting Angry at Anti-Catholic: Mortal Sin?

There is this guy I talk to who is very Anti-Catholic. It is an almost pathological Anti-Catholicism, where he just says these vicious and slanderous things about the Church and the comments are just stupid (i.e. the Church is full of pedophiles, etc.) and it really gets me angry.

Anyway, when I think about the things he says and does (he is a proverbial sidewalk evangelist who loves to go after Catholics) it gets me very angry and the following thoughts crossed my mind:

1. Wanting to publicly challenge him when he ‘evangelizes’, whether to Catholics or non-Christians

2. Wanting to so viciously challenge him publicly, that it would cause him to have the proverbial heart attack and keel over.

3. Wanting him to go the “bad place”

Now, I don’t think I really hope for him to keel over or go to Hell, it is just I have a vivid imagination and his attacks on the Church rile me up. I don’t know, I guess it is just the anger crosses my mind and then hateful thoughts pop up and I worry that I have given sufficient consent to said thoughts that they become not just sin, but mortal sin.

EDIT: I think sometimes my anger at his comments maybe based on pride or something (as in, I do not want to feel I have made the wrong choice by becoming Catholic).

I personally wouldn’t mind it, but if it’s really bugging you, you could always carry on a friendly debate. Just hear him out and correct his misunderstandings about the Church.

Unfortunately, your corrections may not get through to him. Remember that; people are very stubborn about their personal beliefs towards other faiths.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

I understand your anger. :console: There are so many people out there… who are “waiting and ready” to attack the Catholic Church… for ANY reason. They don’t even care about the statistics…

Check out the link below. Puts the problem of sexual abuse in the proper context. Hope this helps… God bless.

catholicleague.org/research/abuse_in_social_context.htm

What angers me is not that he questions the Catholic Church. I enjoy a good debate and, certainly, doctrine has to be explained and discussed. This guy seems less interested in discussion and more in just launching insults against the Church.

For example, regarding his pedophile comments, I challenged him (this was on Friday by the way), discussing how several “denominations” have had such issues. He acknowledges it, going “I know, I know”, but continues the attack.

Jesus, Saul held the garments of those who stoned the first martyr of the Church, St Stephen and approved of the murder. He relentlessly persecuted the Church and brought about the imprisonment of many early Christians. [Acts 7:33-60]

However, Jesus, You brought Saul to conversion and gave him the mission to become Saint Paul the evangelist. [Acts 9:1-19]

Please convert this man who also rages against Your Church.
Let You Holy Spirit come into him…and St Paul, please intercede for him and for all who listen to him.

I would say that if your anger includes hate then it would be a grave sin.

CCC 2302 By recalling the commandment, “You shall not kill,” our Lord asked for peace of heart and denounced murderous anger and hatred as immoral.

Anger is a desire for revenge. “To desire vengeance in order to do evil to someone who should be punished is illicit,” but it is praiseworthy to impose restitution “to correct vices and maintain justice.” If anger reaches the point of a deliberate desire to kill or seriously wound a neighbor, it is gravely against charity; it is a mortal sin. The Lord says, “Everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment.”

CCC 2303 Deliberate hatred is contrary to charity. Hatred of the neighbor is a sin when one deliberately wishes him evil. Hatred of the neighbor is a grave sin when one deliberately desires him grave harm. “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.”

All objections to the catholic church are based on ignorance, misunderstanding and prejudice. Ask him if he is genuine in his desire to please God and know the truth. If he says yes then sit down and talk. If he says no then tell him the search for truth is the most important thing one can do and he is not. If he does not want to discuss truth with you is he a friend of Jesus who is truth itself?
Billions hate the catholic church but only a handful truly know the church and still hate her.

Prayer and sacrifice must always come before our apostolate.

Good luck and God bless:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.