Getting back together with an ex

What are some of the things to consider when getting back together with an ex? I think a mutual understanding of why it didn't work the first time around is very important. There also needs to be a mutual effort not to fall into the same traps again. Anything else?

Also, if you'd like to share experiences where it led to a succesful and lasting relationship the second time around, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Was God part of your relationship last time? If not, make sure to frequently pray together. You can't go wrong if you want to get closer to God :thumbsup:

[quote="willofgods, post:2, topic:253471"]
Was God part of your relationship last time? If not, make sure to frequently pray together. You can't go wrong if you want to get closer to God :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Yea. In fact, our very first date was going to Mass together.

From here, no help. Sorry, I have not passed through it so anything I say it is imagination.

The funny thing is that I saw that 50% of USAcouples eventually divorce but 50% of the divorcees remarry with the first spouse.

Amazing no?

Getting back with an ex is like going through someone elses high school yearbook. The memories might be alot alike, but they’re not the same. You may have heard things like what your reading-but it’s not the same.

I’ve tried to get together with ex girlfriends before, and it usually ends up much worse than how it ended! We remember why we didn’t get along, we bicker and argue that neither one has changed enough-it seldom works.

You can’t go home again. Look foward to the future.

Caveat-I know of a couple that dated for three years. They broke up in an explosive way, and didn’t talk for about 6 months. They got back together right around there, and have been married for over 10 years to this day. Clearly, it can work. It usually doesn’t though.

Well, from personal experience, both of my marriages ended in a violation of trust. If you can’t trust your ex then there is no since in trying. A sayin’ from my naval days was, "100 attaboys minus one aw-sh#$ equals 100 attaboys in the hole with no chance of getting another one."
I love both of my ex’s but I can’t trust either one, (after two marriages, I’ve been married two times too many and don’t for see a third) and without that trust…

Well, I can’t see it working.

I don't want to go into too much detail, but things have been going well so far, although it's still very early. I think the first time around, both of us were relatively inexperienced, and there were some amateur mistakes made. None of them were irreconcilable differences, however, and our values and goals did/do align. This time around we're planning to take things slow. And to clarify, she was a girlfriend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.