getting candles blessed?

Hi,

I’m interested in getting some candles blessed at the parish I attend, which is FSSP… I was wondering, has anyone else done this? what is the prayer/blessing like? does it include an exorcism prayer (in FSSP)? are there any particular type of candles that are appropriate, and do they have to be bought in a special store (like a Catholic store), or are any candles alright?

thank you :slight_smile:

Just ordinary candles are suited rather than fancy coloured or smelly ones. We just bundle them up and put a request on the packet for one of the priests to bless them. All sorts of things are done this way, although anything of value is usually delivered to the priory rather than leaving it in a public space as accidents can happen.

The packet is then deposited with the date and signature of the priest who has obliged.

With Candlemas coming up in a few weeks, this is a great time to get candles blessed at an FSSP parish.

This is the English from the Roman Ritual for the standard blessing.

BLESSING OF CANDLES

P: Our help is in the name of the Lord.
All: Who made heaven and earth.
P: The Lord be with you.
All: May He also be with you.

Let us pray.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, bless + these candles
at our lowly request. Endow them, Lord, by the power of the holy

• cross, with a blessing from on high, you who gave them to
    mankind in order to dispel darkness. Let the blessing that they
    receive from the sign of the holy + cross be so effectual that,
    wherever they are lighted or placed, the princes of darkness may
    depart in trembling from all these places, and flee in fear,
    along with all their legions, and never more dare to disturb or
    molest those who serve you, the almighty God, who live and reign
    forever and ever.
    All: Amen.

They are sprinkled with holy water.

Beeswax candles are said to be best by some.

Thank you for all the replies! :slight_smile:

does anyone know, where is it possible to get beeswax candles? (I’m not able to buy anything online)

I think it depends on where you live… in some Catholic ethnic neighborhoods the grocery stories might even have them… besides any shrines or Catholic religious gift shoppes. otoh I’m sure money-orders/checks through mail order are acceptable at some of the online providers.

There are Catholic supply companies that provide them and smaller devotional type Catholic sacramentals providers.

I wonder if craft/art supply stores might have them or sell the wax at least. Hmm. Well… that’s all that comes to mind.

We use beeswax candles in the Eastern Catholic Churches (and in the Orthodox). If there is one near you just check the parish web site for hours of services, when they would be open, and you can pay/donate for candles and take them. Normally ones makes a donation and then uses the candles in the Liturgy, but it’s perfectly fine to donate for them and take them home.

Not sure if you have a Whole Foods or other sort of natural food type place by you but they carry the 100% beeswax candles in all shapes and sizes.

There are a few catalog companies that also sell them and you can order by regular mail with them.

We just take our candles to our FSSP priest after mass and ask him to bless them, he brings them back to us the following day.

No, it would not include an exorcism. Candles have no need for exorcism, only people do.

I recently found out that the parish I go to hasn’t really observed getting candles blessed on Feb 2nd. I found out however the cathedral downtown observes the blessing of the candles. How does the blessing work? Does the priest call those who need candles blessed up to the front and blesses them individually? Or do I wait till after mass? Also is there a limit to how many candles I can bring to be blessed? (I live in tornado alley, lots of storms during the year) :slight_smile:

Since I was a child in the fifties, I have used vigil candles. It is my experience that the candles you buy in a grocery store (or any other non-religious store) are of inferior quality. They do not burn as well nor do they last as long. Just my two cents.

Objects are commonly exorcised throughout the Roman Ritual.

Generally as well, in the Roman Ritual, everything that is blessed is sprinkled with holy water, which is of course itself exorcised.

The Book of Blessings OTOH is quite different…

I would highly suggest finding a priest using the Roman Ritual.

Remember that salt, water, and medals (notably the St. Benedict) are exorcized too (really. The rite of blessing has the phrase, “I excorcize thee, creature medal…”).

Thanks…what Rite are you referring to? I’d appreciate looking at it.

Beeswax candles are really the best, but any candle will do, I should think. :slight_smile:

As others have mentioned, Candlemas is coming, so you could bring your own and then take them home with you. I actually have done that. I think the other used candles all went in a basket to be collected.

But you can give them to the priest to be blessed at anytime, just like a rosary or other sacramental. I also like to stick some candles in my food basket at Easter, so I have some blessed candles for the dinner table.

Look for the Rite of Blessing of the St. Benedict Medal. I always have my St. Benedict medals/crucifixes blessed by our FSSP priest since he has the faculties to use the traditional rites in force in 1962, which tend to contain more powerful words of blessing and exorcism. A translation of the prayer of exorcism and blessing are below:

V. Our help is in the name of the Lord
         R. Who made heaven and earth.
         In the name of God the Father + Almighty, who made heaven  and earth, the seas and all that is in them, I exorcise these medals  against the power and attacks of the evil one. May all who use these  medals devoutly be blessed with health or soul and body. In the name of  the Father + Almighty, of his Son + Jesus Christ our Lord, and of the  Holy + Spirit the Paraclete, and in the love of the same Lord Jesus  Christ who will come on the last day to judge the living and the dead,  and the world by fire. R. AMEN
         Let us pray. Almighty God, the boundless source of all  good things, we humbly, ask that, through the intercession of St.  Benedict, you pour out your blessings + upon these medals. May those who  use them devoutly and earnestly strive to perform good works, be  blessed by you with health of soul and the help of your merciful love,  resist the temptations of the evil one and strive to exercise true  charity and justice toward all, so that one day they may appear sinless  and holy in your sight. This we ask through Christ our Lord. R. AMEN

The medals are then sprinkled with holy water.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

when is Candlemas, and…sorry I’m very new to all this, what is it? :slight_smile:

Part of the traditional meaning to beeswax candles: :smiley:

“The pure wax extracted by bees from flowers symbolizes the pure flesh of Christ received from His Virgin Mother, the wick signifies the soul of Christ, and the flame represents His divinity.”

• The Catholic Encyclopedia

There’s a great deal of spiritual symbolism behind bees:

‘Look at the bees upon the thyme; they find therein a bitter juice, but in sucking it they convert it into honey. because this is their special power. O worldling! devout souls find much bitterness, it is true, in their exercises of mortification, but in performing them they convert them into sweetness and joy. Fire, flames, wheels, swords, were as flowers and perfumes to the martyrs, because they were truly devout. If devotion can sweeten the most cruel tortures, and even death itself, what will it not do for acts of true virtue ? Sugar sweetens unripe fruit, and corrects whatever is harsh or hurtful in that which is quite ripe. Now, devotion is the true spiritual sugar which takes from mortifications their bitterness, and all danger from consolations; it cheers the poor and restrains the rich, it mitigates the misery of the oppressed and the insolence of favourites, the sadness of those in solitude and the dissensions of those who live together. It is like the fire in winter and the dew in summer. It knows how to abound and how to want, it makes honour and contempt equally useful; it bears, with even mind, pleasure as well as pain, and fills us with a wonderful sweetness.’

St. Francis de Sales

‘All Christians, certainly, but especially all religious, in considering and reading the lives of the saints, should try and form themselves upon their example, just as the bees only light upon the flowers in order to gather honey where with to nourish themselves.’

St. Francis de Sales

‘Meditation is made, we may say, as the bees make honey ; for they make it by gathering the dew that falls from heaven upon the flowers, and drawing a little juice from these flowers, which they change into honey, and then carry to their hives. Thus we go over and over the life of our Lord in meditation, taking up one action after another, and considering them, in order to compose the honey of holy virtues, and draw from them the graces of a holy meditation.’

St. Francis de Sales, ‘Mystical Flora’

Candlemas is Feb. 2nd, the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord. Traditionally, candles were blessed on this day, in honor of the declaration of Simeon of our Lord as the “light for revelation to the Gentiles”, also the antiphon for the procession on that day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.