getting even.

I was wondering if it could be sinful to try to get even with someone, not by making them a real harm, but like in a competition or something like that.

let’s say you are a pitcher in baseball, and there is that guy who has made a homerun and you want to strike out him, not just because of the team, but because you want to get even at him. or get happy if another pitcher does it.

If you strike him out, out of spite; instead of to win the game… I would consider it sinful.

I think the best way to look at it is “healthy competition.” When I was playing non-professional sports, especially basketball, the goal was to be the best you could be. Just recognize that sometimes, you may not be the better player. Many people in sports work to be the best so they can ‘help lead their team’ to victory, not to get even. The right thing to do is to say “good game” to the other guy even if you lost. In pro sports, the right response to a loss is to congratulate the other team for winning a game ‘fair and square,’ and looking to improve yourself and encourage ‘your team’ to play better. Some of us are just faster or a little stronger or just need to work on developing any areas where we are lacking. Once we are convinced we are doing our best then that’s the best we can do.

In competitions, there can only be one individual who gets the gold, or one team that wins the playoffs. Individual effort combined with teamwork should be the goal, not getting even.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Getting even with someone is like revenge … if it’s over a game or sport then maybe it’s just being silly… but then , this is an opportunity to learn tolerance, Tolerance is something which is in each and every one of us… this is an opportunity for you to learn about it…
because one day it won’t be over a game or sport… it might be over something serious ,
like slander in a workplace, in that situation it can grow and eat into you like a cancer…
getting even in a serious situation can become a dangerous thing…
so learn about being Tolerant… patient… and understanding of others Faults …
you might come across a person that has a Huge ego that is offensive …
should we get even with that person… or should we turn away… learning Tolerance will help you later on… Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.