Getting ideas about Matthew 13:35

“Jesus spoke all these things to the crowds in parables. He did not tell them anything without using a parable. So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: “I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden since the foundation of the world”

What do you think are some of Jesus’ specific teachings which revealed things hidden since the foundation of the world?

Jesus spoke frankly as well, and not just in parables.

Jesus is the fulfillment of the OT Scriptures, and the New Covenant.
Of course He revealed to us. He is the new Adam. He is the Messiah.

Things such as:
The way to eternal life
The path to holiness
The meaning of the ancient Scriptures
The way to make our lives pleasing to the Father
The path to peace and justice
The folly of past superstitious behaviors

one could go on an on…

That God would become man and die for us to save us from ourselves.

-Tim-

That was never really hidden though, that IS the foundation for our religion.

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking too–about many things that Jesus said.

One thing that comes to my mind is something that John taught us in his gospel.
That the world was made by and through Jesus–the second person of the Godhead.

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.
All things were created by him and through him.

Most of all these other things are spoken about in the Old Testament, and Jesus revealed the scriptures to us, but I don’t think this is even alluded to–that Jesus created the world. (of course we know that Jesus is God)

That humans were created to become “gods”. Jesus had come to restore humanity to its fullest potential. Jesus has given us our true vocation back. Jesus had taught that to be fully human is to be like God. The more human you can become the more you become like God.

The ancient Hebrews had many ideas of what the messiah would be. That the messiah would be God himself in the flesh was not universally understood or accepted.

This was only truly revealed at the Annunciation and fully revealed at the nativity.

-Tim-

Hi!
There are so many things not Revealed till Christ:

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with spiritual blessings in heavenly places, in Christ: 4 As** he chose us in him before the foundation of the world**, that we should be holy and unspotted in his sight in charity. 5 Who hath **predestinated us **unto the adoption of children through Jesus Christ unto himself: according to the purpose of his will: 6 Unto the praise of the glory of his grace, in which he hath graced us in his beloved son. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the remission of sins, according to the riches of his grace, 8 Which hath superabounded in us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 That he might make known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure, which he hath purposed in him, 10 In the dispensation of the fulness of times, to re-establish all things in Christ, that are in heaven and on earth, in him. 11 In whom we also are called by lot, being predestinated according to the purpose of **him who worketh all things **according to the counsel of his will. 12 That we may be unto the praise of his glory, we who before hoped Christ: 13 In whom you also, after you had heard the word of truth, (the gospel of your salvation); in whom also believing, you were **signed with the holy Spirit **of promise, 14 Who is the pledge of our inheritance, unto the redemption of acquisition, unto the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:3-14)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men… 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. 13 Who are born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (St. John 1:1-14)

14 If you shall ask me any thing in my name, that I will do. 15 If you love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever. 17 The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you. (St. John 14:14-17)

4 For whatsoever is born of God, overcometh the world: and this is the victory which overcometh the world, our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 6 This is he that came by water and blood, Jesus Christ: not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit which testifieth, that Christ is the truth. 7 And there are three who give testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. [size=]And these three are one[/size]. (1 St. John 5:4-7)

5 For let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in habit found as a man. 8 He humbled himself, becoming obedient unto death, even to the death of the cross. 9 For which cause God also hath exalted him, and hath given him a** name which is above all names**: 10 That in the name of** Jesus **every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: 11 And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:5-11)

Maran atha!

Angel

Interesting suggestion. I was actually thinking aling the lines of “Blessed are the poor in spirit, the meek, etc” “He has filled the hungry with good things and sent the rich away empty” “he who humbles himself will be exalted” and that general"contradiction" in outlook.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.