Getting into Heaven

I have a friend who is Christian yet still believes in reincarnation and incorporates Wiccan worshiping techniques to praise God. Will that person get into Heaven? I guess they could be classified as a “cafeteria Catholic.” They are surrounded by the knowledge of true Christianity yet they choose not to listen.

If someone has the resources to gain the knowledge of Christianity, yet they don’t seek the knowledge, can they still get into Heaven? Can prayers for the person save them, or is it up to them to believe?

[quote=SamG]I have a friend who is Christian yet still believes in reincarnation and incorporates Wiccan worshiping techniques to praise God. Will that person get into Heaven? I guess they could be classified as a “cafeteria Catholic.” They are surrounded by the knowledge of true Christianity yet they choose not to listen.

If someone has the resources to gain the knowledge of Christianity, yet they don’t seek the knowledge, can they still get into Heaven? Can prayers for the person save them, or is it up to them to believe?
[/quote]

Only God, since he alone can read hearts and knows all circumstances of a person’s life, can definitively judge whether a person is going to hell or heaven. Even if a person is surrounded by Christians and numerous resources, if they are presented a poor, distorted, or uncharitable witness to the Gospel, they may or may not be culpable. Again, only God knows for sure; your job and my job is to pray for the person and to be the most loving and reliably informative witness we can be and leave the rest to that person and God.

[quote=Fidelis]Only God, since he alone can read hearts and knows all circumstances of a person’s life, can definitively judge whether a person is going to hell or heaven. Even if a person is surrounded by Christians and numerous resources, if they are presented a poor, distorted, or uncharitable witness to the Gospel, they may or may not be culpable. Again, only God knows for sure; your job and my job is to pray for the person and to be the most loving and reliably informative witness we can be and leave the rest to that person and God.
[/quote]

Excellent answer–Too often we judge a person according to our own beliefs, or to one “true church” not realizing that by doing so we might be pushing the person away from God. God brings a person around to him in many varied paths, if the person is a seeker of God, God will meet them and guide them to how he wants to be worshipped–in spirit and in truth-- and guide them to where he wants them to be. When one feels a desire to help the person, yes–do it with love and not with an attitude of superiority, because in God’s eyes we are all equally made in his image, he loves us all and wants us all to be with him.

Approach this person with prayer and charity. If you have a good enough relationship with this person, ask your friend to point out the sacred scripture or sacred tradition that supports his/her belief. What is its source…or is it just opinion? Digging deeper, what security does your friend find in adhering to this belief? IMHO, folks who go down these occult paths tend to be fairly insecure in their relationship with Our Lord (and even themselves), so the substitute that with belief systems that they can control.

Evangelize with humilty, wisdom, and grace…and let the Holy Spirit go to work.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.